Missing Alphatrack in DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
shasha
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Missing Alphatrack in DP 8

Post by shasha »

Is it just me or does this just seem insane? I mean we're talking about control data here; it's not like it's sending actual audio or anything. Aren't these protocols predicated on communicating over MIDI? And as much as I'd love to get all over the controller company for this you would think that if you were writing a DAW application that you would make sure that the control portion works with existing hardware controllers. If it's a matter of 32/64 bit communication wouldn't they be able to create a bridge inside the DAW itself to communicate properly?

Has anyone tried any of the MIDI tools out there like MIDI-Ox or Bome's MIDI translator or something to try to do like an inline conversion or something?

It's not like this stuff is new; it worked in the past so they know how to do it. I'm just finding myself more and more irritated because I'm in the market for a new DAW and DP is at the top of the list, but it seems like a large number of these newest DAW's have really poor control surface implementations right now. There are a ton of really good proven control surfaces out there that should work fine even if they are older designs. 32 or 64 bit should not be an issue IMHO.

Sorry if I sound like some raving maniac. I just want to find a solution that is going to work correctly and I will not buy into something that may or may not work as intended. Been burned way too many times in the past and I'm going to do my due diligence to research before I plonk down any cash this time around.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Well to be fair here, this is a problem all control surfaces have when DAWs change to 64-bit. Seems it would be up to Frontier to solve this problem (in the case of AlphaTrack) or Presonus (in the case of the Faderport). I don't think it's MOTU's fault. So take it up with Frontier.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Another concerned Tranzport user here. I can confirm it works fine on DP8 in 32bit mode, which is fine for now. But looking forward...clearly Frontier Designs is out of business. At least they are leaving the files online for download so that's something.

I think the TranzPortUB.bundle is the thing that has to be ported to 64bit in order for it all to work on 64bit. While they're at it, whomever does it should update it for all the features to work on DP8. It was originally written for DP4. Perhaps MOTU can provide us with the information that would be needed to develop that bundle and someone out there can figure it out?

Actually, Frontier Designs should have released a general purpose driver that allows the Tranzport to be configured to send key commands to the OS. That would make it useable for just about any program out there rolling forward...at least at some minimal level.

At least it works for now, but I guess this device will become useless eventually.

Too bad because I love it.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bolla

Post by bolla »

Sold my Alpha track. Made a Logic user happy. Moving on.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

But I like this concept of one Fader :idea: .
Motu buy Frontier-Design and they make their own one.....
I am a dreamer....
I use the alphatrack all the time.
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
bolla

Post by bolla »

p.pan wrote:Motu buy Frontier-Design and they make their own one.....
The Alpha track was a perfect solution but it now seems a dead duck.
I think it would be a brilliant idea for Motu to develop their own control surfaces. A one fader version. An 8 fader version etc.......
Otherwise it's an Avid for me.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

I finally splurged and bought the Avid(formerly Euphonix) Artist Mix surface. It was tough to fork over $1500 but let me tell you... It is freaking AMAZING with DP.

100% total control of almost everything. Completely customizable.

At first I thought 4 faders wouldn't be enough but the way the thing thinks and responds to DP makes 4 faders plenty.

Guys seriously, this thing has changed my life in 2 weeks!!! I have shaved off hours of production time and my only regret is that I would have bought this long ago!

Check it out if you are serious about massive amounts of DP control and streamline workflow.

I usually don't go crazy over stuff unless it is legit.... The artist control is legit!

Peace
Fuller
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
ChrisByrd

Post by ChrisByrd »

I'd love to see MOTU develop an Alphatrack equivalent - at least it would be updated in line with DP (hopefully :) ). I used my Alphatrack all the time until Cubase went 64 bit - a driver was promised but never appeared and then Frontier disappeared. I also ended up selling to a Logic user so am in the market for a small controller.
MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.1, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Digital Performer 8.0.5, Finale 2012c, Cubase 7, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 9, HALion 5
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

MOTU should just create a control surface 64bit wrapper so that the old 32 bit control surface plugins will work.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

+1 :D
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Is there any news or tips on how to get Alphatrack to work with DP 9.01? I finally just upgraded from 7x and have got it kind of work in 64 bit mode if the Alphatrack control panel is set to Pro Tools (Hui) mode. But so far I can only stop start and use the punch in pedal. Please point me to the post that has the info (if there is any) on how to get this sucker to work in Yosemite. Thanks!

Edit: I just found the $50 commercial updated driver. Is this functioning well with DP 9and OS X .10.5?
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yes. I'm using it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!