Magic Dave/Hal leonard DP book!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Magic Dave/Hal leonard DP book!

Post by davedempsey »

Yes - both books are current. This is from the product description for the first book: "This is the first guide to look under the hood of Digital Performer 8-the first version of the program manufactured for both Mac and Windows OS. In fact, this is arguably the most up-to-date and insightful guide available focused specifically on Digital Performer."
The second book, for engineers and producers etc, is a more recent release.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

I just got the books. I'm not quite happy with the look of the DVD-ROMs. One of them has several scratches and the other one is kind of stained. They are probably without errors otherwise, but I'm still a bit disappointed.
bogmusic

Post by bogmusic »

I received them both during the Christmas break.
I have just piled into "for Engineers & Producers" and I'm flying through it now.
I will probably sweep Power just to reinforce things (DP ethos & terminology mainly)

One of the first things I wanted to get up and running was setting Reason up as a rack. This was covered comprehensively within the first few pages.

As a DP newcomer with experience of other DAWs it has nailed it for me.
10/10 as far as I'm concerned.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

In the end I guess my rating will be 9/10. (-1 for having to clean the DVDs)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

e-snobben wrote:In the end I guess my rating will be 9/10. (-1 for having to clean the DVDs)
That's a vendor issue. Maybe give two ratings: Content and Vendor.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Magic Dave/Hal leonard DP book!

Post by James Steele »

Indeed. Don't penalize MD for that. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Shooshie wrote:
e-snobben wrote:In the end I guess my rating will be 9/10. (-1 for having to clean the DVDs)
That's a vendor issue. Maybe give two ratings: Content and Vendor.
James Steele wrote:Indeed. Don't penalize MD for that. :(
I have no idea of who is responsible. I'm just giving my total rating for the buy.

By the way, what would you do in my situation? I'm thinking maybe I'm being too sensitive about it. I could of course send them back to the vendor claiming the discs may be damaged. What is practice in the USA?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I see your point. I might write to the publisher directly and complain instead of the vendor. Are the discs playable despite the scratches? Maybe you can duplicate them before they potentially become unreliable or unreadable? I agree that's a problem. If you can mention that as an explanation in your review that would be good. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

The discs seem to be working. They both show up in the Finder and I've been able to copy both DVDs to my internal hard drive.

I shall contact the bookstore and discuss what to do. Then when the case is resolved and I've had time to go through the books I I'll try to make a more thorough review. Not a novel size though :)