Magic Dave/Hal leonard DP book!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Magic Dave/Hal leonard DP book!

Post by magicd »

Hey there! Thank you very much for the mention. This is a new and exciting experience for me. I will say that most of what I've learned about using DP over the last 20 years ( :shock: ) has come from working with and learning from other people. So thanks to the entire MOTU community!

Hal Leonard approached me to write a book for beginners. The Power in Digital Performer is written for newcomers to the program. It is specifically focussed on getting the newbie going to they can create songs and make music as quickly as possible. This book is specific to DP8, so it should work as a good general introduction if you are new to the DP8 interface.

The publisher has asked me to keep going, so next Spring I hope to release the second volume, which will deal with more advanced techniques in DP.

I am absolutely humbled that anyone would buy my book. I haven't seen any reviews yet, so I await further humbling. :mrgreen:

Don't worry about what the web sites say about stock. I'm sure the publisher will print more if they run out, and that can only be a good thing.

Thank you all again. This really is a community and I am very proud to participate.

Dave
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Ordered it last night; it's expected to arrive by end of week. Maybe I'll use its arrival as the kick for installing DP8 (it's been sitting on my desk for a month).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I received it a couple of days go. It looks very good but it is as MD says, a guide for beginners so it may not offer a lot of new ideas for some of you experienced MotuNation-ers. But it's very well done and even though I've been using Performer since 1985 there were still a few things in there that I hadn't really thought about in a while so it was good for shaking some DP cobwebs in my head loose!
Great job, MD!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Maybe not, but there's almost always an area of the app where one of us is a beginner after years of DP use, just because the need for that feature never came up before. At any rate, I hope it is a good introduction to DP 8 as a "new product" and a fresh view, vs. just looking at the "what's new" aspects in the regular printed manual.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:Maybe not, but there's almost always an area of the app where one of us is a beginner
Exactly my experience with the Groove3 videos. And, just having it explained from a different perspective than your own leads to some insights, even if it's basic stuff.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just ordered 1 but it shows no stock on the Canadian site.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I got my copy yesterday and most of it is basic, but there are things that I still could learn. Even reading about things I have done a zillion times and seeing perhaps a different method is helpful. I started reading it and I am going to check out the DVD today.
Dave I will be one of the first to buy a more advanced book from you.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Mine just arrived this afternoon at work. I hope to have time to flip through it tonight, or maybe I'll read through it on the BART train home if it isn't standing-room only as usual.

Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

Is this the same book as the one you are talking about? It seems to be a new edition since it came out in feb 2013. Or is it just the DVD that is the new stuff?

http://www.halleonardbooks.com/product/ ... siteid=169

I can order it from my favorite bookstore here in Sweden :dance:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Very cool! A belated congratulations on the book, Dave!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I have a copy of both books on the way :) - purchased from http://www.bookdepository.com with free worldwide shipping. Available elsewhere for less, but the shipping is a major cost for me in Australia.
http://www.bookdepository.com/Power-Dig ... 1476815145
http://www.bookdepository.com/Digital-P ... 1458402240
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

For engineers and producers!?!
Didn't know it existed, many thanks for the tip! I have to order that one too :woohoo:
bogmusic

Post by bogmusic »

Cheers for the heads-up guys
I have just bought them both!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Grabbed both, nice to have a second perspective.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Is this remotely current to version 8?
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.