Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Post by David Polich »

This is a question for Magic Dave, but maybe someone else can provide an
answer too.

In DP8, what does the "Memory" bar in the Audio Performance meter window mean, exactly? I'm running DP8 in 32-bit mode (have to, cuz I still need to use UAD) and all of my high-track count projects have the Memory bar filled
almost to 95%. In fact, in DP 8.01 the percentage has gone up slightly from
DP 8.0.

If I create a new DP8 project, the Memory meter shows 50% full, with no audio recorded and no plug-ins enabled.

Really would like a clarification on what the Memory bar is showing, and whether we have to be concerned about it. Thanks!
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
buzzsmith

Re: Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Post by buzzsmith »

I've been told that it's showing available memory for DP 8 in 32 bit mode.

I opened a project yesterday with 5 VIs and 2 plugs and it redlined and I got the "Digital Performer is running out of memory" alert.

Normally, I ignore it unless a hiccup occurs and then I'll freeze a few VIs, if they're ready, to free up some more RAM.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I'm really having problems with track-heavy projects started in 7.24 that
ran fine in 7.24 and 8.0. They're all red-lining the memory meter, even after
I've trashed DP preferences.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

David Polich wrote:I'm really having problems with track-heavy projects started in 7.24 that
ran fine in 7.24 and 8.0. They're all red-lining the memory meter, even after
I've trashed DP preferences.
That was my day yesterday. Today I ran all my big projects with all the windows on a single monitor and .01 ran beautifully. End of the day I opened the last of the big projects and since it was was all on two monitors I left that way and lo and behold the whole thing ran smoothly. Opened some normal (for me) sized projects and they ran smoothly.
Going to run it a few more days before I come to any conclusions.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
jeepbird

Post by jeepbird »

I'm now running DP8.01 in 32-bit mode.
Checking Activity Monitor shows DP8 is using around 1.5G RAM, but the "Memory" bar sometimes touch the red line. Any idea why is the big difference here?

I'm working on a project with more than 10 chunks. I have disabled most of the audio tracks/plugins in the inactive chunks.

To offload DP, I am also loading most of the VIs in VE Pro 5 in decoupled mode.

MacOS 10.14.6 / DP10.11 & DP9.52 + VEP Pro/ Macbook Pro 2018/ Benchmark DAC1 USB / RME FireFace UCX / Adam A7 / XV-3080
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I get the redline memory meter. It almost seems like it's overly sensitive. I think I've actually closed that window and ignored it. But it's one of the reasons I'm considering getting some used RAM on eBay for my MacPro 1,1 and trying to run 64-bit.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

James Steele wrote:Yeah. I get the redline memory meter. It almost seems like it's overly sensitive. I think I've actually closed that window and ignored it.
I closed the Audio Performance window about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. My life is perfect now. :shake: Truly, I dislike that window and found it completely useless. Wouldn't it be funny if it were the Audio Performance window being open which caused all the redlines? :shock:
DP10.13
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Dan Worley wrote:
James Steele wrote:Yeah. I get the redline memory meter. It almost seems like it's overly sensitive. I think I've actually closed that window and ignored it.
I closed the Audio Performance window about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. My life is perfect now. :shake: Truly, I dislike that window and found it completely useless. Wouldn't it be funny if it were the Audio Performance window being open which caused all the redlines? :shock:

I've wondered about this & I suspect a few other users here probably have also been curious if the Audio Performance Window might actually cause more problems than its worth,I actually trust the Activity Monitor more.
I also stopped using it in DP7 and it's one of the 1st things I changed in DP preferences when I moved to DP8.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

kgdrum wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:
James Steele wrote:I've actually closed that window and ignored it.
I closed the Audio Performance window about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
I actually trust the Activity Monitor more.
I also stopped using it in DP7 and it's one of the 1st things I changed in DP preferences when I moved to DP8.
+1 here...I found the Activity Monitor, with it's little 8-bar processor graph, to be a lot easier to glance at occasionally and let me know what's up, not only with DP, but my MacPro in general....
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have a great utility called MenuMeters that runs all the time (configured in System Prefs), and is visible in the menubar. It tells me all I need to know about the CPU, and it's accurate. I never open DP's performance window anymore. It's just bizarre. Out of touch. It does not represent DP's memory usage. At one time I thought it was taking the load from all the processors and adding them up in one graph. Now, I have no idea what it's doing. Use MenuMeters. Takes up no screen space, you don't have to run Activity Monitor, and you'll always know what each core of your CPU is doing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Shooshie wrote:I have a great utility called MenuMeters that runs all the time (configured in System Prefs), and is visible in the menubar. It tells me all I need to know about the CPU, and it's accurate. I never open DP's performance window anymore. It's just bizarre. Out of touch. It does not represent DP's memory usage. At one time I thought it was taking the load from all the processors and adding them up in one graph. Now, I have no idea what it's doing. Use MenuMeters. Takes up no screen space, you don't have to run Activity Monitor, and you'll always know what each core of your CPU is doing.

Shooshie
+1 Menu Meter has been my default for a while if I need to see more then I open Activity Monitor.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
jeepbird

Post by jeepbird »

I use menumeter, too. Which is great!

I still open up the "performance monitor" in DP because whenever the "Processing" bar touches red, there is likeliness that some cracking may be present in the audio when I record.

And thanks for the tips above. I just turned off the "Show alert when available memory is running low" warning in DP's preferences.
MacOS 10.14.6 / DP10.11 & DP9.52 + VEP Pro/ Macbook Pro 2018/ Benchmark DAC1 USB / RME FireFace UCX / Adam A7 / XV-3080
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have "show alert when available memory is running low" disabled. Have done
so for years now. But the "memory usage" meter in DP 8 is new, it wasn't in 7.24.

On a couple of track heavy projects which ran fine in 7.24, I have gotten the
memory usage bar (in 8.01) pegged all the way to the red, and the playback stutters and starts and stops. This is what has been bothering me. I think I
read somewhere that DP 8 is a "little" more CPU-intensive than 7.24?
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Shooshie wrote:I have a great utility called MenuMeters that runs all the time (configured in System Prefs), and is visible in the menubar. It tells me all I need to know about the CPU, and it's accurate. I never open DP's performance window anymore. It's just bizarre. Out of touch. It does not represent DP's memory usage. At one time I thought it was taking the load from all the processors and adding them up in one graph. Now, I have no idea what it's doing. Use MenuMeters. Takes up no screen space, you don't have to run Activity Monitor, and you'll always know what each core of your CPU is doing.

Shooshie
Hello Shooshie (& Everyone),

Based on this thread I just got the MenuMeter app, but I am curious how do you use it with DP? When I am in the finder, the meters show-up in the menu bar, but when I go into DP windows, they disappear! Are you able to keep the MenuMeter's meters visible when in DP? I am assuming so! If so, what is your secret?

Thank you,

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

sayatnova wrote:

Shooshie
Hello Shooshie (& Everyone),

Based on this thread I just got the MenuMeter app, but I am curious how do you use it with DP? When I am in the finder, the meters show-up in the menu bar, but when I go into DP windows, they disappear! Are you able to keep the MenuMeter's meters visible when in DP? I am assuming so! If so, what is your secret?

Thank you,

~Shea

I don't remember if there's a preference to choose when you install but it's always visible on my Mac in the menu bar.