Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Post by dix »

Thanks for the responses and all this good info.

I'm finding having MenuMeter up there in the Finder bar does seem to give useful info that can be used when DP pegs. Specifically, Shoosie's observation that when I see that one thread is working harder than the others that it might be time to try spreading out the VI load. That tip alone is super useful! Until I came across this thread I was migrating VIs to Bidule when I started to hit the wall in DP. Keeping it all in DP is of course much preferred. Activity Monitor doesn't present this type of info as simply and easily read at a glance as MM imo.
Make sure your buffer in DP is set to 1024 for playback. No need to set it any lower unless you're tracking
Last I checked Bidule likes to be at 512. If not, there's sync issues. Though, as I point out, I may not need to rely on Bidule as much as I am, I still try to run at 512 when possible. It seems I'm never done tweaking MIDI and I'm now accustom to playing with a 512 buffer.
To clear out RAM use the Terminal and type "sudo purge" then enter your password
Also extremely helpful. I don't seem to be hitting the wall in re to memory much, but this sounds like it would save having to reopen DP to reclaim RAM when I do.

Thanks again.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Babz wrote:
David Polich wrote: I'm running DP8 in 32-bit mode (have to, cuz I still need to use UAD)
Sorry I don't have an answer on the memory meter, but why does one need 32-bit for UAD? :?:

What am I missing here?

Babz
You missed the date I started this thread - back in 2012. UAD was still 32-bit at that time.
They've since gone to 64-bit. I no longer run anything at 32-bit. DP 8.07 64-bit all the way, baby.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

To clear out RAM use the Terminal and type "sudo purge" then enter your password
Now there's something I have not done since DP 8 and Mountain Lion. Nor have I felt the need.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
Now there's something I have not done since DP 8 and Mountain Lion. Nor have I felt the need.
It's still very useful in conjunction with updating the sample pools in Kontakt and optimizing VEP for Vienna instruments when starting new large projects or adding instruments to existing projects. OSX prefers to keep files in memory to make reloading those files later if necessary. However, sometimes it's more efficient If not necessary to manually purge memory if free memory space is needed.

I'll show proof of this and how it works in my next video.

Thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
James Steele
Site Administrator

Magic Dave, PLEASE explain the DP8 memory usage meter

Post by James Steele »

FWIW, it may be anecdotal, but I saw a post somewhere by a user who suggested that memory management was much better in 10.10.3.

EDIT: Here it is:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 02#p504104
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!