New Themes with D.P. 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Themes with D.P. 8

Post by corbo-billy »

For a long time the idea came to me and it is Amplidood who encouraged me with his magnificent achievements.
So I made my first theme with my little knowledge because I am interested in working on the image for about a year. This theme will maybe make them laugh but if some errors are there, do not hesitate to tell me.
Working with themes to better see the depth of MOTU work in this area and to further improve understanding Digital Performer. Obviously, there is no music during this activity but it is possible for a period uninspired.
I called this theme Rusty because I think it works well.

With no official website or possibility of archiving, I placed this file on another site accepting attachments with some recent improvements. It is HERE.

NOTE FROM ADMIN: With corbo-billy's permission, it's now hosted on this site also here: http://motunation.com/files/Rusty1.bundle.zip
Last edited by corbo-billy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 am, edited 9 times in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: New THemes with D.P. 8

Post by James Steele »

I can't always accept attachments here. If you'd like I will upload this and add a download link to your post.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
corbo-billy

Re: New Themes with D.P. 8

Post by corbo-billy »

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Nice, corbo-billy.

It looks "woody" (as in Mahogany wood). Especially the Channel Strip. I like it :)

You know, I always wanted to mess with DP themes and try my hand at them, but knowing me, I'd quickly become obsessed with them and use up most of my time doing that instead of writing music, so I just decided to ignore that urge to be able to concentrate on my music.

Same with video games... I know I can become addicted to them, so I stay really far away from that... No temptations! :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

This is exactly what I felt during the construction of this Theme: regularly over the last three days and no music.
It's the same with Native Instruments Reaktor, if you design, imagine sets, there is no more time for music. The days are not long enough.
I therefore consider this as an alternative while staying with D.P. _
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Yes - I have a nasty theme customisation habit myself.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Well, let us enjoy it _ :dance:
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

corbo-billy wrote:Well, let us enjoy it _ :dance:
I would like to but not sure how to post pictures here on Motunation - if someone has a tip?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What makes the ideal theme for DP 8? I've not been able to find one in the DP 8 package, or even among the Ampgui set, that does it all.

I'd like a reasonable level of contrast in the text, without resorting to light fonts on dark backgrounds (like Zen), easy to find tabs (like Titan), a mixer view that makes it easy to see the state of the channels (like most Ampgui themes), one that avoids weird things like the wobbling pan pots in Round is Right, and one that has readable column headers in the TO (all the current themes put the text on a background that is too dark).

How easy would it be to find the TO column header background colour and change that?
How easy is it to customize a theme by mixing the various components of different themes?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Look in the Style.xml file in the Theme bundle (show Package contents in Finder) - the main colour schemes for Tracks Overview are shown in RGB numbers - use Digital Colour Meter to find a colour you like and its RGB numbers - it will be something like 144:200:75. Experiment - remember to duplicate the Theme and rename it before you start customising. Start with <TEXT name="kListItemColor">173:177:179</TEXT> - this is the one for Earthling. Use the Digital Colour Meter to find the number of the colour in edit window and then search for this in Test Edit in the Style.xml file. You should be able to find which colours do what - if they are no in file they will be in the package contents as a png file - you can alter colours in Preview.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Look in the Style.xml file in the Theme bundle (show Package contents in Finder) - the main colour schemes for Tracks Overview are shown in RGB numbers - use Digital Colour Meter to find a colour you like and its RGB numbers - it will be something like 144:200:75. Experiment - remember to duplicate the Theme and rename it before you start customising.
Thanks. I've been looking there, but in the wrong lines. Will give it another try. I did manage to remove the wobbles in the Round is Right theme pan pots.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

see my edited reply with locations for the colours in the Style file
Gary Shepherd
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I guess it's more complicated than I thought. In the MOTools theme bundle, the style.xml file has the following line: <TEXT name="kListItemColor">192</TEXT>.

I tried putting three values in place of the single value that is there, resulting in <TEXT name="kListHeaderColor">240;240;240</TEXT>, and that DID work, improving the contrast in the TO headers.

Thanks for the tip.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I would like to but not sure how to post pictures here on Motunation - if someone has a tip?
Must already archive your images on an archive site: personally, I just use Facebook.
Then use the form in the body of a message response keys "img" and there is more to insert the address of the image between the two tags "img".

With what do you open this .xml file ?
EDIT: I use TextEdit . :wink:
Last edited by corbo-billy on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Hye James. I downloaded the zip file of billys put it in themes folder, and it doesnt look right. Missing colors? Is the download OK?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.