DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Prior activations are shut down. In your case, you can install it on your six. You will not be able to use it on more than two at a time.
I don't understand this. Do the Macs already activated have to be on line when you activate a third?
No.

The licenses 'phone home' and will not allow more than two active installations at a time. It really isn't complicated.

This is all in the documentation and help files.

It is similar to the way that many companies including Microsoft manage certain licenses except it is done over the internet instead of local networks.
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

But what do you if you wish to re-authorize a computer and de-authorize the 3rd one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ritzybiz wrote:But what do you if you wish to re-authorize a computer and de-authorize the 3rd one?

It's not an issue as long as the computer you are using has internet access.

I am sorry but I can't explain it any more simply.

:rtfmmad:
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Shooshie wrote:I don't know how it works now, because they seem to have changed their authorization system, but in the past I've always installed DP on several Macs in my possession, and it always worked, regardless of which one I was using.

On the other hand, I'm the only person I know who actually has two active serial numbers for DP, both bought and paid for. I play leap frog with them as I upgrade to new versions. So, I have never felt any guilt for using two copies of DP at the same time, even, since I paid for them both.

I guess that qualifies me as a Digital Performer fan boy, or something like that.

Shooshie
I have 2 licences for DP too
One is at Vers. 2 though...
:mrgreen:
Klaus
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

mikehalloran wrote:
ritzybiz wrote:But what do you if you wish to re-authorize a computer and de-authorize the 3rd one?

The rtfm is a bit unfair, Mike, as it is not clearly stated in the manual that you can re-authorize after one has been de-authorized. I contacted our local distributor here in Oz, and he said I would have to buy another copy at the FULL price, not as an upgrade! I declined.

Charlie
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ritzybiz wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:

The rtfm is a bit unfair, Mike, as it is not clearly stated in the manual that you can re-authorize after one has been de-authorized. I contacted our local distributor here in Oz, and he said I would have to buy another copy at the FULL price, not as an upgrade! I declined.

Charlie
What about the following is so difficult to understand?

From the DP8 ReadMe file:

"Can I activate DP on more than one computer at a time?

"When you first install Digital Performer and click the "I agree" installer option, you agree to abide by the Digital Performer End User License Agreement, which allows you to use DP on one computer at a time. As a courtesy, Digital Performer can be activated on two computers at a time (Mac or PC), so that you don't have to re-activate every time you switch between them (a desktop machine and laptop, for example).

"How do I move a DP activation to another computer?

"Simply activate the other computer. If you are already using both of your two courtesy activations, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."

This has been answered and answered and answered... :banghead:

Stick a fork in me. I am done with this topic and will not read any more responses.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you are already using both of your two courtesy activations, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."
Well ritybiz, I guess we've been told. I didn't think it was all that obvious either. How does it deactivate the older computer when you activate a third one unless both are on-line? Telepathy maybe.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Still don't get it...
A DP8 install has to be completed online ?
Let me explain my situation...
( I already have 2 licences )

Studio : 2-3 installs
Live : 3 installs on different computers than the studio computers ( everything rack mounted )
1 x 24 ch rig
1 master rig
1 x 24 ch rig backup

Now how would this be handled license-wise and install-wise with DP8,
if none of the computers is online ever ?
I'm online with an 'office' computer

Klaus
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Klaus wrote:Still don't get it...
A DP8 install has to be completed online ?
Let me explain my situation...
( I already have 2 licences )

Studio : 2-3 installs
Live : 3 installs on different computers than the studio computers ( everything rack mounted )
1 x 24 ch rig
1 master rig
1 x 24 ch rig backup

Now how would this be handled license-wise and install-wise with DP8,
if none of the computers is online ever ?
I'm online with an 'office' computer

Klaus
under this type of unique circumstances I'd call MOTU and ask for clarification.
You might need more than 1 license or they might grant you some sort of favor but other than talking to MOTU directly how can anyone here answer this?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

mikehalloran wrote:
ritzybiz wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: The rtfm is a bit unfair, Mike, as it is not clearly stated in the manual that you can re-authorize after one has been de-authorized. I contacted our local distributor here in Oz, and he said I would have to buy another copy at the FULL price, not as an upgrade! I declined.

Charlie
What about the following is so difficult to understand?

From the DP8 ReadMe file:

"Can I activate DP on more than one computer at a time?

"When you first install Digital Performer and click the "I agree" installer option, you agree to abide by the Digital Performer End User License Agreement, which allows you to use DP on one computer at a time. As a courtesy, Digital Performer can be activated on two computers at a time (Mac or PC), so that you don't have to re-activate every time you switch between them (a desktop machine and laptop, for example).

"How do I move a DP activation to another computer?

"Simply activate the other computer. If you are already using both of your two courtesy activations, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."

This has been answered and answered and answered... :banghead:

Stick a fork in me. I am done with this topic and will not read any more responses.
Sorry to necro, but this is unclear. I just upgraded to DP8 and the license activation appears to be PER OS, not PER COMPUTER.

Installing DP8 in windows and OS X on the same computer is taking up both of my activations.

It's not really a big deal right this moment, since the windows version has completely unreadable fonts, but I was looking forward to not having to reboot when I need to use windows based software as well. (I need DP installed on laptop as well)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HobbyCore wrote:I just upgraded to DP8 and the license activation appears to be PER OS, not PER COMPUTER.

Installing DP8 in windows and OS X on the same computer is taking up both of my activations.
That's probably more a limitation in the licensing code than anything else. I have two installations on one computer on two OS versions, and another on a laptop. The difference is that my two OSs are different versions of OS X, rather than Windows and OS X.

Did you contact MOTU? Maybe they can figure out something.
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

bayswater wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:I just upgraded to DP8 and the license activation appears to be PER OS, not PER COMPUTER.

That's probably more a limitation in the licensing code than anything else. I have two installations on one computer on two OS versions, and another on a laptop. The difference is that my two OSs are different versions of OS X, rather than Windows and OS X.

Did you contact MOTU? Maybe they can figure out something.
Am I reading right that you have DP8 installed 3 times between 2 computers?

Since that is exactly what I'm trying to do, I guess I'll contact MOTU.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's right. I always have a general working partition and a test partition where I try out new stuff. So I need DP on both. I also want it on my laptop. I had posted a tech request about this, tried it, and found that having DP on two partitions on one hard drive was seen as one installation. I haven't tried two installs on two hard drives in one Mac, and I suspect that would not fly.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Some such authorizations (Microsoft) use the MAC address from your network card. Each computer is seen as a separate installation. If MOTU is using the MAC, numerous installs on one machine will be seen as one install only.

Others (Finale comes to mind) use the firmware identifier on your drive which is affected by its position in your system. When I had my G5, I had to de-authorize Finale before I could move the drive to another location and re-authorize.

There are other ways to do it, also. Distinct, the company I worked for in the '90s, had their own ways that worked pretty well.

MOTU doesn't say what they use and it doesn't really matter. The license manager allows two simultaneous installs and should shut down a third if two are running already. This is for stations connected to the internet.

There is an off-line authorization procedure also. With most companies, you have to de-authorize one station before you can authorize another (or two in this case).
HobbyCore wrote:
I just upgraded to DP8 and the license activation appears to be PER OS, not PER COMPUTER.
Probably not. Again, it doesn't matter. I have enough Macs and an XT station. I could install DP 8 on enough to test and report exactly how they do it but I have other uses for my time. I am not at all interested in the results.

The best any licensing scheme can do is keep honest people honest. Nothing is impossible to bypass. I would be quite ok with DP 9 being protected by iLok.
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

So I tried this again today, same scenario. I have DP activated on 2 computer in OS X. I went into windows via boot camp on one and activated DP there.

Last time, this appeared to have de-activated the OS X install on the system. This time, both computers work fine.

So it appears that I may have encountered some sort of bug or server hiccup, or perhaps I screwed up something. It appears to be working fine now.