DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
taka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Post by taka »

Hello---

My copy of DP8 is arriving today! :-)

I understand that the DP8 has challenge/response style authorization scheme, but MOTU's site isn't clear on, how to/if it's possible to, install DP8 on more than one Macs (a desktop and a laptop in my case).

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Taka**
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
buzzsmith

Re: DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm not in front of it right now, but I'm pretty sure the license is for 2 computers.

After the install, DP will ask for a code found on a sticker on the inside back cover of the (bigger) manual.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

taka

Post by taka »

Thanks Buzzsmith for the info :-)
Looking forward to dive into DP8!

Best, Taka**
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

From the DP8 ReadMe file:

"Can I activate DP on more than one computer at a time?

"When you first install Digital Performer and click the "I agree" installer option, you agree to abide by the Digital Performer End User License Agreement, which allows you to use DP on one computer at a time. As a courtesy, Digital Performer can be activated on two computers at a time (Mac or PC), so that you don't have to re-activate every time you switch between them (a desktop machine and laptop, for example).

"How do I move a DP activation to another computer?

"Simply activate the other computer. If you are already using both of your two courtesy activations, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Wasn't there a law passed back in the 90s regarding this? That software licenses must allow a secondary install for laptops? Google searches aren't turning up anything (because I'm getting tons of other pages pertaining to anti-piracy), but I remember my uncle, who's a software engineer and stays up to date on software law, telling me something about this a while back.

In any case, since then I've never seen a software license that didn't allow for multiple installs, and I'm sure that quite a few software companies would like to require that.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Lots of software I've had says it can only be installed on one CPU. I think most MS software was that way. I've never heard of anything legislating use on a laptop, and in any case it would not be the same in every legal jurisdiction.

If anything, 2 is a bit restrictive in a world where Apple allows 5 for anything you get from the App Store.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Only software plug in company I know that only allows one instal is Audio Ease, but you can authorize and de-authorize an instal yourself online.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Marc7777

Post by Marc7777 »

taka wrote:"How do I move a DP activation to another computer?

"Simply activate the other computer. If you are already using both of your two courtesy activations, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."

This is just dumb. So since I have a Big studio, a home studio, and a laptop mobile setup, DP wants me to buy 3 different copies of the same software!?! Sometimes I use my laptop while at the studio.. so if I got 1 copy, DP wouldn't work on my laptop if I was using my studio version?!? uggghh.... damn copyright laws.. Or am I misunderstanding this?
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Just like that damn hardware compressor - you put it in your big studio and it refuses to simultaneously also appear in your home studio... you'll have to carry it back and forth or buy a second one...

:wink: :wink: :wink:

I think a two-computer policy is more than fair. If you need more than that (and have the money to have two full machines running in two different studios, plus a laptop) I don't think there's anything wrong to expect you to pay for that. Or MOTU could go iLok with DP - but man, there'd be something like a religious war over that one.

Bottom line, no matter what they do, software makers can't win. :roll:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I wish they had gone with iLok instead of challenge response. A lot of stuff I have can be put on 5 Macs (IKM, Apple, ...) or is on iLok, other than Korg Legacy, also on a dongle. Just moving an iLok around would be fine with me. I have to do it anyway for MachFive, Waves, Melodyne, ...
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Marc7777

Post by Marc7777 »

I mean, I get the reasoning behind it. Stop piracy and all.. I wonder if you can just pay a little extra for a 3rd license..

I'll give MOTU a call, see whats up.. I'm not getting DP8 anytime soon, until all these little bugs get sorted out.. I guess I better start saving!!
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
ExpressMix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ExpressMix »

Forgive me - potential future Win user - for sticking my beak in but....

How exactly does MOTU automatically "deactivate" one of your systems? I mean....

1. You activate DP on a studio desktop.
2. You activate DP on a laptop.

So, just for sake of understanding, say you activate a second desktop, how exactly does it "deactivate" system #1? Are you guys saying that you have to be online to start or launch DP? Otherwise how (the part I'm not understanding) would system #1 know that it's been deactivated?

I'm just trying to understand this.

Thanks.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know how it works now, because they seem to have changed their authorization system, but in the past I've always installed DP on several Macs in my possession, and it always worked, regardless of which one I was using.

On the other hand, I'm the only person I know who actually has two active serial numbers for DP, both bought and paid for. I play leap frog with them as I upgrade to new versions. So, I have never felt any guilt for using two copies of DP at the same time, even, since I paid for them both.

I guess that qualifies me as a Digital Performer fan boy, or something like that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I think I have 2 active serial numbers, too. The first was issued with Performer 1.01.

Wow.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

taka wrote:I understand that the DP8 has challenge/response style authorization scheme, but MOTU's site isn't clear on, how to/if it's possible to, install DP8 on more than one Macs (a desktop and a laptop in my case).
As mentioned above you can have 2 copies activated on 2 computers.

Now..."challenge/response"?..... Am I missing something? You just need to enter your serial number then the 'activation wizard' contacts MOTU to validate the authorization/installation. No challenge/response...
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc