Solo an Aux Tack/Channel?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
newmotu
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Solo an Aux Tack/Channel?

Post by newmotu »

You want the feature that automatically solos all source tracks when an Aux is soloed without group them first. Right? Cubase does it perfectly in one step ! And it works the other way around without supending group !!
shame that Pro tools and Digital performer can't do it simply like Cubase does.

All the Daws that based on Aux = Bus = in/out like Pro tools and DP suffer from the same problem.

In Cubase, samplitude or some clever Daws, Aux and in/out route are two different things, so You have totally seperate control over both of them.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

newmotu wrote:You want the feature that automatically solos all source tracks when an Aux is soloed without group them first. Right? Cubase does it perfectly in one step ! And it works the other way around without supending group !!
shame that Pro tools and Digital performer can't do it simply like Cubase does.

All the Daws that based on Aux = Bus = in/out like Pro tools and DP suffer from the same problem.

In Cubase, samplitude or some clever Daws, Aux and in/out route are two different things, so You have totally seperate control over both of them.
You come to an English-speaking forum, where you clumsily troll in a thread that's been dormant for two and a half years, to tell us about your "clever" DAW's feature, soloing an AUX without having to Solo-Exempt its source tracks. All in one step? Moreover, you're a Windows user in what is basically a Mac forum.

Anything in particular motivate you to do that?

Well, nobody here doubts that Cubase has some clever features. It's a nice DAW for Windows users. Just curious: have you ever actually used Digital Performer? By "used," I mean have you worked with it for a year or so, long enough to actually learn some of its deeper points? If you had, I think you'd realize that what you described is not really a problem for us. But it sounds like Steinberg made it even more transparent, and if so, I applaud them for that. It sounds like Cubase is the DAW I'd want to try if there were no Digital Performer.

So nice of you to drop by and tell us about your clever DAW. You'll get no argument from me about Cubase being clever! Your assessment of DP, however, is not well-informed.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never mind...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

FutureLegends wrote:Is it possible to solo an aux track?
Quite often I find myself wanting to hear just what's going on in an aux tarck/channel. But it has no solo button. Usually soloing whatever is going into the aux track works fine. But some times the things going to the aux are not next to each other or hidden from view etc etc.
Or right now, I've made and aux track for the backing vocals, but the meter for the aux is showing activity even when there's no backing vocals and when all the backing vocald are muted... but I don't know what the hell is going in there... And with no way (or is there a way?) to solo the aux, finding out what the hells going will be so much harder...

I've requested this feature... hope it's in DP8 ;)

Cheers

DZ
Not an eloquent solution, but just a few clicks away - print the aux track (or part of it) to a temporary audio track, then solo that temporary track. Fix the problem, delete the track.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Geez, folks! This is how misinformation gets started!

Of course you can solo an Aux track, unless that Aux track is solo-exempt!

If you solo-exempt an aux, then it is not affected by the solo button, and therefore does not have a solo button of its own, because you have requested that it not be affected by the solo button!

Solo-Exempt is the feature we use to handle the problem that our little Windows troll was trying to use to denigrate DP. Soloing an Aux track is no problem if the tracks that feed it are solo-exempt (OR also soloed, OR grouped to solo together). So, there are three ways to do it, at least that I can think of off the top of my head, but the least-troublesome one is to Solo-Exempt the source tracks.

Any track that has been solo-exempted cannot be silenced by the solo button of another track. That's the meaning, in this case, of "exempt." Solo-Exempt means "solo does not apply to this track." They remove the solo button when you've set that flag, so that you aren't confused and wondering why nothing changes if you hit that button.

Solo-exempt tracks are, in a sense, always soloed. They play regardless of the positions of the Solo buttons on other tracks.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Really? You really think he's little? LOL :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote:Of course you can solo an Aux track, unless that Aux track is solo-exempt!

Shooshie
As Shooshie proves time and again in his unselfish way (how do you find the time to get work done?) - ways of doing things in DP are not always obvious in relation to other DAW's but there is nearly always a way or a solution. Its a deep program with lots of adaptability - and this forum is a great place to find solutions with help from power users such as Shooshie.

We ask one thing really - don't trash or troll DP until you are certain that the feature you think is absent compared to Cubase or Logic or whatever, is actually absent or there is no simple workaround. It's not over till Shooshie sings......
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Guitar Gaz wrote:how do you find the time to get work done?
I'm only working for me, these days, usually doing projects that I left open ended years and years ago. Semi-retired, but occasionally recording talented people who really deserve a chance. DP is one of the reasons I'm able to do this (the others being investments and luck), and I like giving back to MOTU, who helped me get to this point, through its community. Maybe it'll help someone else to get further than I did. Of course, if the economy tanks, I may be asking you guys for jobs!
Guitar Gaz wrote: It's not over till Shooshie sings......
Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Soooo...
SO-DO!
:lol:

Shooshie
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Nice to hear that Shooshie - I retire in about a year so hopefully I will be in a similar position to you. Looking forward to spending more time with DP...
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.