Solo an Aux Tack/Channel?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solo an Aux Tack/Channel?

Post by FutureLegends »

Is it possible to solo an aux track?
Quite often I find myself wanting to hear just what's going on in an aux tarck/channel. But it has no solo button. Usually soloing whatever is going into the aux track works fine. But some times the things going to the aux are not next to each other or hidden from view etc etc.
Or right now, I've made and aux track for the backing vocals, but the meter for the aux is showing activity even when there's no backing vocals and when all the backing vocald are muted... but I don't know what the hell is going in there... And with no way (or is there a way?) to solo the aux, finding out what the hells going will be so much harder...

I've requested this feature... hope it's in DP8 ;)

Cheers

DZ
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Solo an Aux Tack/Channel?

Post by NazRat »

From a previous thread:
NazRat wrote:
jbyerly1 wrote:+1 on wishing there was a solo button for Aux tracks
There is a solo button on Aux tracks. You uncheck Solo Exempt in the drop-down selection at the bottom of the track in the mixing board.

(or click in the Exempt column in the tracks overview)
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

This is difficult.

DP, like most consoles, has a solo-in-place system. When selected, solo cuts all other channels except the ones that have been exempt. But to solo only an aux return is impossible because it mutes all the other channels and their sends to the aux in question.

What we want to hear is just what is going through that aux channel

On an analog console there is usually a facility for pfl (prefade listen) which is usually available on aux returns as well as all the other channels. This allows one to listen to reverb returns, etc.
It is a completely independent circuit.

I don't think I have come across this in a DAW, correct me if I am wrong!

I'm thinking the simple way to achieve this might be to add a send to the aux and route that to an exclusive output, say headphones independent of the main monitor buss. Or if you have a monitor controller with alternative inputs you could patch it there.

Still thinking!

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Problem is, if I hit solo on the aux track, then it mutes the tracks that are sent to that aux track and I can't here anything.
I think aux tracks need a special solo that just let's you hear what's going through that aux...
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

In my current project I had accidentally sent the slap of the upright bass to the back vox aux instead of to the bass aux. if I had been able to just solo the aux I would have saved considerable time finding that out... I eventually had to solo on track at the time to find out what was happening as going through the I/O setting and every send takes time and its easy to miss with DPs tiny fonts...
crduval

Post by crduval »

If you set your send to Pre fader, then disable solo exemption on your aux track, you can hear just the aux. This is what I do, even if I ultimately make the send post-fader - it's only one mouse click to change that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you turn off Solo Exempt, you can solo an Aux track.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:If you turn off Solo Exempt, you can solo an Aux track.
Come on, Shoosh, try to keep up. We're all kinda tired of carrying you or waiting around for you to catch up.

:wink: :)
DP10.13
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

But what if that which is going to the aux track is not coming from a send?

Let's say I have the outputs of all backing vocal tracks set to the back vox bus that then goes to an aux track. It would be very convenient to just hit solo on the aux track to hear just what's going to that aux instead of hitting solo on all the individual tracks.
And in the case of a wrong routing like I had done, I would just have had to hit solo on the aux and I would have known what the error was.

If it's not in DP8 that's on my wish list for DP9! ;)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:
Shooshie wrote:If you turn off Solo Exempt, you can solo an Aux track.
Come on, Shoosh, try to keep up. We're all kinda tired of carrying you or waiting around for you to catch up.

:wink: :)
Well, in the morning I often open all the existing new posts. Then as the day goes on, I answer them as I can get to them, when I take a break from other things. They just sit in the background until I get to them. Meanwhile, other people also answer the questions, but unless I remember to refresh the page, I won't see those. So I answer the question, only to find out later that my reply is way down the list, and that I've missed all the discussion in between.

Such is life. A day late and a dollar short. :?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
crduval

Post by crduval »

Hi Future, I get your dilemma now. I don't know a quick way around soloing the aux in that case - wish I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FutureLegends wrote:But what if that which is going to the aux track is not coming from a send?

Let's say I have the outputs of all backing vocal tracks set to the back vox bus that then goes to an aux track. It would be very convenient to just hit solo on the aux track to hear just what's going to that aux instead of hitting solo on all the individual tracks.
And in the case of a wrong routing like I had done, I would just have had to hit solo on the aux and I would have known what the error was.

If it's not in DP8 that's on my wish list for DP9! ;)
First, make sure the Aux is NOT Solo-exempt.

Select the Aux, and all the tracks that are bussed to it, and group only the Solo (and color, if you like).

Now when you hit solo on the Aux, or any of the tracks in that group, all the tracks in that group will be soloed.

If you ask, "But now how can I hear one of the individual tracks in that group soloed?" Answer: Solo any track in the group and then hit Command-Option-Control-G to suspend track grouping, then unsolo the tracks you don't want to hear, always keeping the Aux soloed.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
crduval

Post by crduval »

Dan Worley wrote:
FutureLegends wrote:
Then select all the individual tracks bussed to the Aux, and the Aux track, and group only the Solo (and color, if you like).

Now when you hit solo on the Aux or any of the tracks in that group, all the tracks in that group will be soloed.
Dan, thank you, I forgot you could group solos! Nice solution!
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Learn something new every day

Thanks for the tip Dan. That need to go on the tip sheet forum
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

No problem. Glad to help.
DP10.13