DP8 and Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Music4dw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP8 and Melodyne

Post by Music4dw »

I'm getting the same experience in DP8, Melodyne 2.1, MacOS 10.8.2 through Presonus Firepod. The plugin works as advertised in Logic, but not DP - can't play audio when manipulating within the plugin.

Funny, I also recently watched Melodyne training videos and was unaware of all the manipulation features. I started using them in an existing Logic session I had been working on and it's a really cool way to work (to me anyway). So I opened a DP session to give it a try and no audio (unless I press DP transport play). Bummed but glad I saw this thread.

Seems like there's been some contact with support but no resolution. I'll reach out to them and post if I get anywhere.
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zandurian »

Music4dw wrote:I'm getting the same experience in DP8, Melodyne 2.1, MacOS 10.8.2 through Presonus Firepod. The plugin works as advertised in Logic, but not DP - can't play audio when manipulating within the plugin.

Funny, I also recently watched Melodyne training videos and was unaware of all the manipulation features. I started using them in an existing Logic session I had been working on and it's a really cool way to work (to me anyway). So I opened a DP session to give it a try and no audio (unless I press DP transport play). Bummed but glad I saw this thread.

Seems like there's been some contact with support but no resolution. I'll reach out to them and post if I get anywhere.
Excellent! Would love to get this thing working 100%.
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I sent a tech support email to Celemony on Friday and haven't heard back yet. Will post up if I make any progress.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:I sent a tech support email to Celemony on Friday and haven't heard back yet. Will post up if I make any progress.
Martin
Thanks!
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
digididi

Post by digididi »

This should work:
Open the mixer inside Digi Perfromer, go to the channel with the Melodyne-plugin on it and click 'Input' (the button below record).
And there you go.
MacPro Quad 2.66-X.6.8 16GB RAM,
DP8.01 (64-bit), Opcode SVP, FCP2, PT9HD, LPro9.15,
Drums, Guitars, Synths, SSL, Adam, Lexicon, Eventide
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Thanks for the suggestion. That was recommended to me by Celemony months ago. It doesn't work either. I'm baffled (obviously) as to what's going on.
Martin
digididi wrote:This should work:
Open the mixer inside Digi Perfromer, go to the channel with the Melodyne-plugin on it and click 'Input' (the button below record).
And there you go.
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
digididi

Post by digididi »

Yikes!

I double checked it!
I can audition in the plugin when manipulating blops.
When I double click on the melodyne time ruler, melodyne plays its audio while DP is in stop mode.

I have DP8.01 in 64-bit mode on a MacPro 1,1 under Mac OS 10.6.8
PCIe-MOTU424 (v1.6.53876) and Melodyne editor 2.10.
MacPro Quad 2.66-X.6.8 16GB RAM,
DP8.01 (64-bit), Opcode SVP, FCP2, PT9HD, LPro9.15,
Drums, Guitars, Synths, SSL, Adam, Lexicon, Eventide
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Well, that's great news, sorta ;-)
My setup is basically identical to yours except I'm in 32bit DP mode.
When I double click in the plugin window or the plugin time ruler the cursor moves but I hear nothing.
I finally heard back from Celemony. The guy told me to make sure input monitoring mode was on - groan - we're WAY past that. I sent back a detailed email and ask him to review the tech notes on my case from 3 or 4 months ago.
Martin
digididi wrote:Yikes!

I double checked it!
When I double click on the melodyne time ruler, melodyne plays its audio while DP is in stop mode.

Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
Music4dw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Music4dw »

I double checked it!
Works for me too! I had to take an added (maybe assumed) first step of selecting melodyne as the input in the channel strip, then turn on the input monitoring button and it now works. Even highlight the blobs and the audio plays just like standalone or in Logic.

Thanks!
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

That's great. But how do you "select Melodyne as the input in the channel strip"? I'm not understanding.
Thanks for your help.
Martin

Works for me too! I had to take an added (maybe assumed) first step of selecting melodyne as the input in the channel strip, then turn on the input monitoring button and it now works. Even highlight the blobs and the audio plays just like standalone or in Logic.

Thanks!
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

I double checked it!

Tried all suggestions - including booting in 64 bit and downloading latest MOTU pci driver (1.6) just in case. Goes through the motions but still silence.

Additional info - I have 4 melodyne inputs which showed up after installing editor 210. My app though is called "single track". Somewhere they explained why that was - that it's all their stuff in one and whatever you buy - the code activates the correct thing.

Our setups are very similar except you have the mac pro 1,1 and I have 2,1

What in the world could be going on? Any more suggestions?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WAIT! Stop the presses! On a whim, before posting this reply) I went to a stereo track and loaded a short piece - it works perfect. No input enabled. No Melodyne input chosen. Just load and stop and click or loop in the plug. polyphonic material.

Yet in the mono vocal track I'm working on - still nothing.

My head hurst. ooops - I meant to type "hurts". Or maybe subconsciously I know my head needs a hearse?

So here we go again. Do I bounce my mono vocal to a stereo track? Or do I go to bed?

(Did I mention my head hurts ?) :|
zandurian

Re: DP8 and Melodyne YIKES!

Post by zandurian »

so - against my better judgement I stay up for more tests. I open in my regular 32 bit mode. Stereo track still works. Mono track (the one I actually need to edit) still goes through motions but no sound. So I take the next step - bounce the vocal track to a new stereo track, insert melodyne, transfer first phrase and...... NOTHING. Still wont play from the plug so logic says - "what is different about this track and the one that works?".

After looking it all over I see the ONLY difference is the actual material and the working track has MWeq inserted above Melodyne (by chance). So I'm like, what the hell. I insert an instance of MWeq above the Meloyne plug in my newly created stereo vocal track and - it works :shock:

So - I go back to my original mono vocal track which never worked and insert MWeq above Melodyne and............................................. *drum roll* ........................................................................... it WORKS!

Even if I bypass the MWeq plug (just leave it inserted) it still works, plays, loops, sounds blobs when they are clicked moved etc. right arrow jumps to next and next and next note - sounds each time.

To recap: No input button pushed below record button. No track input selected. Insert a MOTU MWeq plug above Melodyne plug and it works perfect. Even if I press bypass in the MOTU MWeq plug.

I have no idea if inserting any other plugin above Melodyne has the same curing effect (no pun intended) but I'm thinking any motu plug inserted may do it, and yes - I'm curious - but I'm going to damn bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

OMG!!!! You solved it!!!!
on my test file I just slid Melodyne one slot later to free up space for MW EQ above it. Everything works as it should now.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for discovering this.
Now, would anyone care to explain WHY this is working?
Thanks again,
Martin

zandurian wrote:so - against my better judgement I stay up for more tests. I open in my regular 32 bit mode. Stereo track still works. Mono track (the one I actually need to edit) still goes through motions but no sound. So I take the next step - bounce the vocal track to a new stereo track, insert melodyne, transfer first phrase and...... NOTHING. Still wont play from the plug so logic says - "what is different about this track and the one that works?".

After looking it all over I see the ONLY difference is the actual material and the working track has MWeq inserted above Melodyne (by chance). So I'm like, what the hell. I insert an instance of MWeq above the Meloyne plug in my newly created stereo vocal track and - it works :shock:

So - I go back to my original mono vocal track which never worked and insert MWeq above Melodyne and............................................. *drum roll* ........................................................................... it WORKS!

Even if I bypass the MWeq plug (just leave it inserted) it still works, plays, loops, sounds blobs when they are clicked moved etc. right arrow jumps to next and next and next note - sounds each time.

To recap: No input button pushed below record button. No track input selected. Insert a MOTU MWeq plug above Melodyne plug and it works perfect. Even if I press bypass in the MOTU MWeq plug.

I have no idea if inserting any other plugin above Melodyne has the same curing effect (no pun intended) but I'm thinking any motu plug inserted may do it, and yes - I'm curious - but I'm going to damn bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:OMG!!!! You solved it!!!!
on my test file I just slid Melodyne one slot later to free up space for MW EQ above it. Everything works as it should now.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for discovering this.
Now, would anyone care to explain WHY this is working?
Thanks again,
Martin
We flyin' now baby! WE FLYIN'!!!! :woohoo:
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

FYI, For those still on v1 Celemony sent me an eMail offer to upgrade to v 2 for $59

Celemony sent me this eMail:

Version 2 of Melodyne editor has been on the market for over a year, and it’s proving extremely popular. And since we’d like you, too, to benefit from the numerous improvements, we’re offering you the update now for only USD59. That’s 40% off the list price! And just look what you get:

Extended timing tools for still greater control of phrasing comprehensive functions for the use and construction of scales and temperaments more keyboard shortcuts in the plug-in, improvements to the user interface, RewireThis offer lasts until February 28, 2013. You can only get the special price via this link: Update now for only USD59!

Kindest regards,
all at Celemony
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)