DP8 and Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 and Melodyne

Post by zandurian »

David Polich wrote: I'm having ZERO problems with Melodyne, either 2.0.1 in 7.24 or 2.1.0 in DP8
32/64.
So you're getting the synth note (when desired) and are able to cycle ranges and click the rule bar for playback - all within the plug's GUI?
Last edited by zandurian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:Same here - driving me crazy. No audio from Melodyne unless DP is playing back :-(
I will add that if I apply the melodyne plug directly to a sound file, I can preview before applying the effect to the audio. However - Melodyne is very slow to open that way, and after transferring, editing, previewing and applying the beach ball comes up for much longer than expected AND in most cases I have to go back to the melodyne window and apply a second time before the new audio file actually reflects the editing applied. So slow that it's not really practical to work that way. In 7XX it also crashed quite a bit while attempting to render but with 8.0.1 it doesn't crash but is still real slow and the "double apply needed" thing is still happening.
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

zandurian wrote:
David Polich wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but have you run audio through Melodyne first?
You have to insert it on the audio track, then click on the "Transfer" button, and then start playback and run the whole track. When done, and with
the transport stopped, you should then see the "clock" icon appear in melodyne's window as it processes the audio. When the clock icon disappears, you should be able to go to the beginning of the audio track, hit the spacebar and start playback and hear the audio.
Yes, I edit, playback and bounce results to disk all day long but can only hear back if I push play in DP - can't get playback from within plug. Nor can hear sound when blobs are clicked and no synth tone etc.
Umm, unless I am so far off base in my understanding and use of Melodyne (going on four years now) - you won't hear any audio unless playback is engaged. That is how the plug-in is supposed to work.

Audio playback from within Melodyne's window only works if Melodyne is running as a standalone, not as a plug-in.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Usually this is the case but the Melodyne plugin actually records/imports/transfers the audio from the track into the plugin. So, yes, we should be able to playback audio from within the plugin only without DP playing back.

Martin
David Polich wrote:
zandurian wrote:
David Polich wrote:
Umm, unless I am so far off base in my understanding and use of Melodyne (going on four years now) - you won't hear any audio unless playback is engaged. That is how the plug-in is supposed to work.

Audio playback from within Melodyne's window only works if Melodyne is running as a standalone, not as a plug-in.
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

A couple of times I was able to get playback within the Melodyne plugin to work when I switched away from PCI playback and to the Built-in Mac audio output. But now that's not working either. I also was able to temporarily get it work by switching to outputting via USB to my Benchmark DAC1.
Melodyne tech support was very responsive but ultimately wasn't able to find a solution. I may raise the issue with them again whenever I have the time.
Martin
zandurian wrote:
MartinBaird wrote:Same here - driving me crazy. No audio from Melodyne unless DP is playing back :-(
I think it was you who said you were in touch with the Celemony folks about it back in October? Obviously it didn't work out but would you mind sharing how that went?
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

MartinBaird wrote:Usually this is the case but the Melodyne plugin actually records/imports/transfers the audio from the track into the plugin. So, yes, we should be able to playback audio from within the plugin only without DP playing back.

Martin
Well in my experience I've never gotten Melodyne plug-in to play back audio
from within its GUI without engaging DP's playback. Honestly, I really
don't think that's the way it is supposed to work.

I can't think of why you would want to do this anyway - the whole point of
running it as a plug-in is to play back and process the audio in conjunction
with the rest of your sequence. If you want to process audio with Melodyne
and then edit it independently of your sequence, then you would do that in the standalone (Melodyne Single Track) app, maybe use Melodyne bridge to shuttle the results back and forth between it and DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

i have the last version of melodyne editor 1 and it's working perfectly in dp 64 bit
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

When you say working perfectly, does it mean you can audition in the plugin like you can in standalone? For me, yes it works, but I cannot audition. I'm in 64bit too.

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

David,

I know it seems counterintuitive but that's the way it works, or should be working. That's the way it works in all other apps except for DP it seems. In some cases you want to listen only to what you are tuning or otherwise manipulating in Melodyne. And it's much faster working this way because you just double click within the Melodyne window to start playback or move playback to a different location.

I have a feeling it just has something to do with the MOTU PCI system but I could be wrong.

Could everyone chime in with what audio interface they are running and whether audio will playback within the Melodyne window or not?

Thanks,

Martin

[quote=

[/quote]

Well in my experience I've never gotten Melodyne plug-in to play back audio
from within its GUI without engaging DP's playback. Honestly, I really
don't think that's the way it is supposed to work.

I can't think of why you would want to do this anyway - the whole point of
running it as a plug-in is to play back and process the audio in conjunction
with the rest of your sequence. If you want to process audio with Melodyne
and then edit it independently of your sequence, then you would do that in the standalone (Melodyne Single Track) app, maybe use Melodyne bridge to shuttle the results back and forth between it and DP.[/quote]
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

yup, if i double click on the time ruler, melodyne plays, but no audio comes out, guess it's the ol solo button for us motu'rs
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

MartinBaird wrote:David,

I know it seems counterintuitive but that's the way it works, or should be working. That's the way it works in all other apps except for DP it seems. In some cases you want to listen only to what you are tuning or otherwise manipulating in Melodyne. And it's much faster working this way because you just double click within the Melodyne window to start playback or move playback to a different location.

I have a feeling it just has something to do with the MOTU PCI system but I could be wrong.
Okay, well let's say for argument's sake that it does not work the way
you want. What could be the difference between soloing the track Melodyne
is instantiated on, and using DP's transport and location controls to move
to where you want? In my view there is no difference. It takes exactly the
same amount of time.

Not trying to be anything but helpful. My mantra is if it doesn't work one
way, then find another way.

It's not a PCI thing - I'm running Firewire interfaces, no PCI. Cannot
get audio to playback within Melodyne's window independent of DP's transport
controls, but then, I have never (until this discussion) ever needed to do
that.
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

and yes, it does suposed to play back audio without having to hit play..... you bunch of spoiled rotten kids :)
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

One huge benefit of playback within the Melodyne plugin window is that when you grab a sound blob it plays back a loop of that blob. That feedback is very helpful.
Also, once you've experienced playback within the plugin window you realize that it's MUCH faster that dealing with the DP transport or the dot trick on the numeric keypad. In fact, it's not even close.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:One huge benefit of playback within the Melodyne plugin window is that when you grab a sound blob it plays back a loop of that blob. That feedback is very helpful.
Also, once you've experienced playback within the plugin window you realize that it's MUCH faster that dealing with the DP transport or the dot trick on the numeric keypad. In fact, it's not even close.
Martin
Exactly! You can loop a group of notes and make real time adjustments. That's the way it's supposed to work in plug-in mode when the sequencer is stopped. Plus the synth note generation (whatever they call it) can be very handy to compare pitch etc. You should be able to scrub note or groups of notes as well. Mine actually goes through all these motions - does yours?
dave pine wrote:and yes, it does suposed to play back audio without having to hit play..... you bunch of spoiled rotten kids :)
I'll be spoiled when I can just say "Raise the first note up a little and shorten the sweep up at the front and make it a little longer Mr. Melodyne". Yep.
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

David Polich wrote: Okay, well let's say for argument's sake that it does not work the way
you want. What could be the difference between soloing the track Melodyne
is instantiated on, and using DP's transport and location controls to move
to where you want? In my view there is no difference. It takes exactly the
same amount of time.

Not trying to be anything but helpful. My mantra is if it doesn't work one
way, then find another way.
Let me add that if it only worked through DP transport play it would still be a great tool. I was using it that way but decided that while away from the studio I would study the manual and watch the celemony vids. I spent hours learning all the functions I had never used within the plug GUI. So you can imagine how it was to get in there and see everything responding on the screen but - no sound. AISI if this bug were fixed it would take an already invaluable tool and make it that much more powerful.

All this is also hinges on how our individual brains work and our strengths and weaknesses musically. For example - it's easy for me to get lost trying to hear what the actual notes are in a fast vocal passage - especially with certain vocal styles and tones. If I had the "click and speak" thing going it would really help, just like any soundbite you can click in DP with speaker on. Plus - as the plug is supposed to work you can hit the right or left arrow and it jumps from note to note - sounding each time. On a current song I'm working on with these jazz vocal riffs being sung by a 90 something year old wwII vet/crooner it would help me a lot to be able to do that right in the GUI then push play in DP to check the riff against the track.

So no argument that it is very very useful as it behaves now but frustrating to study and read about all these cool other features which would really really help me right now.

Anyway - thanks for your years of helpful tips around here. This forum is an incredibly valuable resource.