DP8 and Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 and Melodyne

Post by kinnylandrum »

Has any one determined definitively whether Melodyne 2.1.0 and DP 8 work well together? I know David Polich advised to only use 2.0.1 with DP 7, which is what I have done, but I wonder if I can safely upgrade to Melodyne 2.1.0 under DP8.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
David Polich

Re: DP8 and Melodyne

Post by David Polich »

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Melodyne Editor 2.0.1 is 64-bit.
One way to tell is try launching DP8 in 64-bit mode and see if
Melodyne 2.0.1 shows up in your plug-in list.

Whether 2.1.0 still steals DP's transport...that I can't answer. I
suppose the only way to find out is by testing it yourself. I don't
see any indications from Celemony that they've fixed the transport-stealing
problem in DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Hi David,
Melodyne 2.0.1 opens and works fine in 64-bit mode. However, stupidly I threw out the installer sent by Celemony for 2.0.1, so I'm a little reluctant to install 2.1.0 because I can't download 2.0.1 from their site if 2.1.0 doesn't work. I guess I'll just wait and see if any one else can get it to work properly in DP8.

FWIW, I did get both Drumcore 3 and B4II to work in 64-bit mode using jBridgeM. And it even bounces MIDI drum parts without first freezing them to disk, which is what you had to do in DP7.24. That saves time, yea! Those are the two 32-bit plugs I use all the time, so I'm happy.

Kinny Landrum
plurye
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by plurye »

I emailed Melodyne tech support with this question (haven't installed DP 8 yet)—they said that yes, they've tested v. 2.1 and it works.

PL
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

plurye wrote:I emailed Melodyne tech support with this question (haven't installed DP 8 yet)—they said that yes, they've tested v. 2.1 and it works.

PL
Whether it "works" without stealing the DP transport when you're inside its
GUI is the question. Celemony changed Melodyne's behavior with 2.1.0 and
there are some extra hoops (having input monitor enabled in order to hear audio is one of them) that as far as I can tell make it more cumbersome to
use.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ok, I downloaded the free trial version of Melodyne 2.1.0, installed it on
my 2009 MacBook running 10.6.8, tested it in DP8 in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode. I'm happy to report that it works fine in both modes and there is no transport-stealing when inside Melodyne's GUI.

Whether it works as well in DP8/Lion or Mountain Lion, I can't confirm.
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Good enough for me. Thanks, David.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I can't get audio to sound when playing back from within the Melodyne plugin. I'm on a Mac Pro with a MOTU PCI-424 card and a 1296 attached. When I run with only the Mac's built-in audio everything is fine and I can hear audio when playing back within the plugin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

MartinBaird wrote:I can't get audio to sound when playing back from within the Melodyne plugin. I'm on a Mac Pro with a MOTU PCI-424 card and a 1296 attached. When I run with only the Mac's built-in audio everything is fine and I can hear audio when playing back within the plugin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin
Time to get in touch with Celemony tech support. That is a very weird issue.
I'm having ZERO problems with Melodyne, either 2.0.1 in 7.24 or 2.1.0 in DP8
32/64.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Yes, I've been emailing back and forth with them for two days now. They even ask for a sample project to test. They've been very helpful.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:Yes, I've been emailing back and forth with them for two days now. They even ask for a sample project to test. They've been very helpful.
Martin
I'm not getting playback from within the plug through the 424 OR the mac built in. I am a Melodyne novice but with the DP transport stopped I can double click on the bar ruler within the plug and the wiper moves as it should and the entire window seems to behave properly as far as visual indicators - only - no sound. Playing from the host everything sounds fine.
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

zandurian wrote:
MartinBaird wrote:Yes, I've been emailing back and forth with them for two days now. They even ask for a sample project to test. They've been very helpful.
Martin
I'm not getting playback from within the plug through the 424 OR the mac built in. I am a Melodyne novice but with the DP transport stopped I can double click on the bar ruler within the plug and the wiper moves as it should and the entire window seems to behave properly as far as visual indicators - only - no sound. Playing from the host everything sounds fine.
This may be a dumb question, but have you run audio through Melodyne first?
You have to insert it on the audio track, then click on the "Transfer" button, and then start playback and run the whole track. When done, and with
the transport stopped, you should then see the "clock" icon appear in melodyne's window as it processes the audio. When the clock icon disappears, you should be able to go to the beginning of the audio track, hit the spacebar and start playback and hear the audio.
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

David Polich wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but have you run audio through Melodyne first?
You have to insert it on the audio track, then click on the "Transfer" button, and then start playback and run the whole track. When done, and with
the transport stopped, you should then see the "clock" icon appear in melodyne's window as it processes the audio. When the clock icon disappears, you should be able to go to the beginning of the audio track, hit the spacebar and start playback and hear the audio.
Yes, I edit, playback and bounce results to disk all day long but can only hear back if I push play in DP - can't get playback from within plug. Nor can hear sound when blobs are clicked and no synth tone etc.
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Same here - driving me crazy. No audio from Melodyne unless DP is playing back :-(
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MartinBaird wrote:Same here - driving me crazy. No audio from Melodyne unless DP is playing back :-(
I think it was you who said you were in touch with the Celemony folks about it back in October? Obviously it didn't work out but would you mind sharing how that went?