DP 8 and Bidule

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rikp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 and Bidule

Post by rikp »

Frankymax,

Give me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

frankymax wrote:Dave- you can download and use Bidule from Plogue for free for @ 2 months, then you have to pay for it so give it a try!
As far as I can tell, the demo only applies to the standalone, you have to have it registered to use the plugin :(
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I use the standalone as my "shell" to hold my Kontakt libraries- I think that's the way most use it for what we're talking about here, unless I'm missing something...
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I tried the Bidule plug in but it made little sense since DP7 still couldn't handle all the VIs I was throwing at it. Using PB as a host gave me maybe 5 or 6 more VI tracks. That was in a G5. The 8 core hasn't even hiccuped once on anything I could throw at it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

frankymax wrote:I use the standalone as my "shell" to hold my Kontakt libraries- I think that's the way most use it for what we're talking about here, unless I'm missing something...
What's the point? I can run all my VIs standalone anyway, the whole point of getting Bidule is to be able to run a 32bit bridge inside of DP8. For me it's Bidule as plugin or nothing at all, unless I'm missing something...
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MIDI Life Crisis

Prime Mover wrote:...unless I'm missing something...
What I'd be missing is the ability to save a template of VIs, replete with all settings, patches, etc., and having the ability to load them with one click. Let me repeat that: ONE CLICK. Done.

You see people with all these fancy cutting of corners, and how precious their time is and why can't do this or that more efficiently. Aside from that, Bidule does have a crapload more features under the hood. It's more than just a host for VIs.

Another nice thing is being able to run that same Bidule preset and feed it to both DP and Finale at the same time. What you hear is what you get - for those who care about such things as engraved notation, otherwise I'm guessing Quickscribe is just fine for lead sheets, etc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So, I'm gathering it posts itself as a virtual audio and MIDI device? Is that how you bus things back and forth? I'm guessing I'd need to create an aux track to catch incoming audio, and pass it from Bidule through some virtual buses?

If all of this adds up, when I stop and think about it, it doesn't seem so bad: just make a Bidule file along with each DP sequence, and treat them as part of the same program. I basically do the same thing in video with Premiere and After Effects.

But if I have to use soundflower to shuttle audio between, then I'll pass.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Prime Mover wrote:
But if I have to use soundflower to shuttle audio between, then I'll pass.
No, I don't use Soundflower- just have Rewire set up as others have mentioned in this post, and then open your template of multiple VIs in Bidule and have the related channels in DP go thru Rewire to get back & forth with Bidule. But so far I've been doing this in DP7 in 32 bit so it works fine. This all may be moot in DP8 as you can utilize a lot more RAM than DP7 and may not need Bidule; but if all you're looking for is a 32 bit bridge then I'm not certain Bidule will run the 32 bit VI's thru Bidule. Rik, Randy, MLC, care to comment on this idea? Will DP8 in 64 bit mode play well with a Bidule instance that is holding 32 bit VI's? I guess that's the primary focus of this thread....
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll let MLC give the final call, but I don't see why it wouldn't. You can have both 64bit and 32bit processes running at the same time as long as they're different processes. Running Bidule standalone would insure this. What isn't working is running a plugin version of 32bit Bidule, as you can't run a 32bit extension inside a 64bit processes.

Call me ignorant, but I've NEVER known until today what ReWire was. I just thought it was simply Reason's plugin protocol. Didn't realize it was used for busing audio between programs. Let me guess... this feature has been there for years in DP and I never knew it? Wouldn't be the first time.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MIDI Life Crisis

Don't feel bad about that, PM. I've been using rewire for years and have no idea what it is or how it does it. Like LAME, I plug it in and it worky. Mikey likes that - of course, he'll eat ANYTHING!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rikp

Post by rikp »

I have all of my percussion samples loaded into Bidule using Kontakt, Play, and Stylus RMX. I have it saved as a Bidule Project. When I launch my Orchestral template DP loads up my samples (most of which are on two external computers using VE Pro 5. I then launch Bidule with my Percussion template. That way I am taking a big load off of DP.

That is my setup (your milage may vary depending on state an local taxes) :lol:

Rik
Last edited by rikp on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
MIDI Life Crisis

I did a little (actually a lot) of testing now that DP 8 is up and running on my system. There's a lot to talk about but I'll add stuff to other threads as I go thru the forum but as for Bidule, I am opting out and using jbridge which SixStringGeek kindly alerted us to here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=51152

As far as Plogue Bidule, it's just too much of a hassle to get audio out of it into DP. jbridge let's me freeze my VIs, let's me use ALL my 32 bit VIs booted in 64 bit, and it about $13USD. That is worth the headache I would have trying workarounds to get the few plugs I sometimes use into DP8.

So as far as I am concerned with PB... end of story. I was happy to support the effort and will stay on top of developments, but otherwise, I'm done.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So as far as I am concerned with PB... end of story. I was happy to support the effort and will stay on top of developments, but otherwise, I'm done.
This is a pretty sudden and drastic turnaround. I'm very interested in seeing how this develops.

But haven't you been using Bidule for more than a year? Don't you already have a lot of Bidule stuff set up that you will want to continue using?
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, yes, but getting the audio into DP from PB is... [img]problematic[/img] and I am not fond of capturing it with Audio Hijack Pro and importing it. If I can simplify the process and be able to bounce and freeze everything in DP with 64 bit RAM access I much prefer that. PB has a 64 bit option but I have not delved into that.

I only have a couple of VIs I want from time to time (like the Korg Wavestation or M1). I can run pretty much everything else (Vienna, Kontakt, Aria player) in DP at 64 bit and the only other plug I use a lot if the Plugsound Pro and XtremeFX stuff which pops right into MachFive3.

I have also not tried running the PB plugin and will do that as well, but for 13 bucks this gets me up to speed immediately and I can futz with the other stuff as time goes by. I'm in a tiny window of a couple of days before the next project starts up, but I do feel quite at ease with DP8.

Very cool update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

so jbridge it is..... nice... thanx
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump