DP 8 and Bidule

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rikp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8 and Bidule

Post by rikp »

Got DP8 today and decided to see what would blow up. Pleasant surprise. EVERYTHING worked and I have a TON of VIs and Plugs! (well almost everything) :lol:

Now for my problem. I have Bidule and for whatever reason DP8 will not see my rewire inputs in my aux tracks. Works fine in DP 7.24. I have the latest rewire version and the latest Bidule. Am I missing something? And here is the weird thing. I can hear and play all of my plugs that are loaded into Bidule. I just can't rout them into DP as an audio file.

Not a deal breaker because I am still finishing projects in DP 7.24. (that is why I love MOTU)

Any suggestions would be most welcome and I know it is VERY early in the DP8 game!

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP 8 and Bidule

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I won't have DP8 until next week but in the mean time if you or anyone figure this out please post back. Surely there's a way.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rikp

Post by rikp »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I won't have DP8 until next week but in the mean time if you or anyone figure this out please post back. Surely there's a way.
Got the question posted everywhere I can think. It is strange! Like I said, no problems in 7.24. Wonder if the 64 bit has anything to do with it. Maybe tomorrow I will launch DP8 in 32bit mode and see if Bidule works.

Rik
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
rikp

Post by rikp »

OK,

Thought I solved the problem. The latest version of Bidule launches in 32 bit mode. To change that, select the application then type command-i and deselect launch in 32 bit mode. Similar to what you have to do to DP8 if you want it to launch in 32 bit mode.

Then I tried launching DP in 32 bit mode along with 32 bit mode Bidule. Worked just fine. Although I got a low memory message from DP when I launched my Orchestral template!

I guess my next step is to run DP in 64 Bit mode, not use Bidule and load my VI setup currently in Bidule into DP8 and see if DP8 can handle it in 64 Bit mode without bringing DP to its knees.

Rik
zed

Post by zed »

rikp wrote:I guess my next step is to run DP in 64 Bit mode, not use Bidule and load my VI setup currently in Bidule into DP8 and see if DP8 can handle it in 64 Bit mode without bringing DP to its knees.
It will be really interesting to find out the results, since these are the questions many of us have been wondering about for months and even years. Thanks for the continued posts.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
rikp

Post by rikp »

Building a DP8 Orchestral template and loading my Bidule instances in this AM. Just finished a major project, so I have some time to mess with this.

On another note, I think I have found my problem. As far as I can tell there is no 64 Bit version of Rewire. When you launch Bidule in 64 Bit mode and go to the Tools pull down menu, Configure Rewire is grayed out. (that should tell you something).

I will keep you posted!

Rik
rikp

Post by rikp »

OK,

Just put my entire Bidule load into My DP8 Orchestral template running in 64 Bit Mode. Barely a blip! :woohoo:

I am totally digging DP8!!! I guess that I no longer need to be using Bidule? I am usually the last to upgrade, but I have to say that all my plugs work in DP8. Thanks MOTU! I am now running in DP8 land. Did not figure that to happen so fast!

Rik
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

rikp wrote:OK,

Just put my entire Bidule load into My DP8 Orchestral template running in 64 Bit Mode. Barely a blip! :woohoo:

I am totally digging DP8!!!

Rik
Isn't this what we've been waiting for? Blast the trumpets! The time has come - time to max out RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Do we have any other DP experimenters to try this out
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

VitcoMusic wrote:Isn't this what we've been waiting for? Blast the trumpets! The time has come - time to max out RAM.

Tahh-ta-ta-TUM!!!

We're here, folks. It's gonna be insanely great.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rikp

Post by rikp »

jbyerly1 wrote:Do we have any other DP experimenters to try this out

Yes! Also does anyone know if there indeed is a 64 bit version of Rewire?

Rik
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

This is from Propellorheads website:

"Just as the current versions of Reason and Reason Essentials, ReWire is 64-bit too. Note that 64-bit ReWire needs to be implemented in both the slave application (Reason, Reason Essentials) and your host. Please contact the manufacturer of your ReWire host of choice for compatibility information."

Having said that I cannot find a Rewire 64 bit downloader but there is a page with Reason, Recycle downloaders so maybe one it's included in one of those downloads. Here's the link:
http://www.propellerheads.se/download/

I've decided to go with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 instead of Bidule, even though I've used Bidule hassle-free for a few years now. I think VEP5 is a bit more robust and offers some other cool features so I'm rolling up my sleeves to get that going. Why, you may ask, would I not just load all my VIs into DP8 and not run a shell program like VEP or Bidule to host my VI orchestra? Well, I love DP, but when it crashes (and you know from time to time it will) I love just rebooting DP and having the shell program just sit there holding my VI orchestra so I can get back to work in less than a minute as opposed to 2-3 minutes of reloading a giant orchestra VI template. Just my 2 cents! :)
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for that Frank. My plan is to just host my 32 bit VIs in Bidule and the rest in DP - which actually hasn't crashed in a couple of years.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

rikp wrote:OK,

I am totally digging DP8!!! I guess that I no longer need to be using Bidule? I am usually the last to upgrade, but I have to say that all my plugs work in DP8. Thanks MOTU! I am now running in DP8 land. Did not figure that to happen so fast!

Rik
Fantastic! Good work! Thanks!
DP10.13
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

is anybody running bd 32 bit with dp 64 bit without any hickups?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump