DP 8 and Bidule

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
red1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 8 and Bidule

Post by red1 »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've successfully gotten DP8 for Mac to bridge with an external instance of Bidule 32bit mode and I'm now running DP8 in 64bit and Bidule in 32bit and using my 32bit FX and instruments. Thanks to Sebastian at Plogue!

If you want to know how, I'd rather not re-post his post from the Plogue forum, but ping me and I'll send you the instructions he gave me to make it work.

-Rod
frankymax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankymax »

Red1- please let us know any special "tricks" you had to do to get Bidule to run 32 bit with DP8 64 bit. Did you use the latest Rewire version? Are you using the latest version of Bidule or an earlier 32 bit version?
Thanks and glad to hear you got it running!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I will... seriously, that only means more business for Seb. It's a public forum as is this one and I doubt he would mind. In fact, I would think he'd welcome it - but your sensitivity is honorable. Thank you!
I'm confused too! You say you are using the latest version and you post screenshots from an older version.

When you run Bidule it will change the Plogue Bidule Device aliases to the one for that version so if you are switching between running 0.9695 and 0.9726 this changes the alias. The ReWire device from 0.9695 is not 64-bit as that version was released prior to the existence of the 64-bit version of the ReWire SDK. Only more recent versions of Bidule contain a ReWire device that can be seen by 64-bit ReWire applications.

So the best way to make it work would be:

- delete the Plogue Bidule Device aliases from /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ and <your user>/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ (on more recent OS X version, you'll need to hold the option key while using the Go menu of the Finder to get
to <your user>/Library)

- run Bidule 0.9726 as a normal standalone

- check back into both folders and see that there is a Plogue Bidule Device alias

- Launch DP8, you should see the Plogue Bidule Device outputs appear under new Mono/Stereo Bundle for the input of an audio track
From here:

http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... dp8#p34443
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
red1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by red1 »

Thanks for posting Seb's post. You have to follow Seb's instructions to the letter to get it to work. This is only for an external instance of Bidule 0.9726.

Let me add that you need to use the latest 0.9726 version of Bidule and boot Bidule in 32bit mode. Do this by doing checking the "open in 32 bit mode" box in the "Get Info" window for Bidule. This allows you to use your old 32bit FX and instruments in Bidule 0.9726.

I used it all day yesterday and no problems so far:)
MIDI Life Crisis

Just a little bump here. I wasn't seeing the Korg legacy VIs in Bidule.

In the HD/LIBRARY/AUDIO/PLUGINS there was a KORG folder. When I took the Legacy .vst files out of the folder and moved them to the main plugin folder and relaunched PB, they appeared.

Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks all for saving my sanity this weekend getting Plogue Bidule running again... I'd abandoned it after going 64 bit in DP, but found my current show needs more horsepower, so these tips were the only thing that got it all working.

One question though... If I have 32 Lives and JBridge to handle any 32 bit VI's (or if I don't load any 32 bit VI's into Bidule at all), is there much advantage to running Bidule in 64 bit? Most of my instruments load either through Kontakt or Play (so memory is already being accessed through those players outside Bidule), but I'm curious about other possible advantages to Bidule 64 bit?
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
MIDI Life Crisis

AFAIK if you can run a VI w/o a shell, then do so (in 64 bit, that is), just make sure big sample and complex scripted VI instruments are in separate instantiations in their own channels so the Mac can take advantage of multi core processing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks MLC. I forgot about that core access issue.

The one thing I'd have to do before going 64 bit is re-build all my K2-K4 multis in K5, so that's why I've hesitated taking time to do that unless there's a big advantage. I'm loving things as they are now, running Plogue in 32 bit, but I figure I should at least know if I'm giving up any advantages I might need later as the show gets more complicated and closer to deadline.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
MIDI Life Crisis

Good luck with that. We might think about a SoCal MOTU hang in the LA area one of these days. Some of the gang did a jam session a while back (several years ago). Might be fun.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

That sounds great! I volunteer Danny Elfman's house. :lol: