Hidden takes and measure insertion/deleting

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hidden takes and measure insertion/deleting

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

OK, make that a + .5 and a -.5 as I do agree in that context of the universal edits. But if you are just comping a series of takes, I don't think it's a good idea to cut 'em all up at once. Which reminds me it's time to start up my Valentine's Day dinner for my sweetie. :love:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

No, I only mean universal edits. "What happens in Take 5 stays in Take 5" ;P

But the fact that comp marks/regions don't get re-positioned during current universal edits is an all-out bug. With "Insert measures", even internal takes' soundbites/data gets repositioned, but their comp marks don't, resulting in complete chaos! No one wants that.

What I really hate is having to say... "Okay, I need to cut these measures, but when I do, I have to say goodbye to any future take comping... so I'll hold off until I'm completely done with everything else". Or worse, realizing that you need to do some additional take comping after you've made the radio edit!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I understand now. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toppo

Post by toppo »

Prime Mover wrote:There seems to be some discrepancy over what happens to hidden takes when certain move/delete/insert actions are performed, and it would be nice to know exactly what the outcomes will be. I'm always unsure, if I add or cut measures to a sequence, what it's impact will be on hidden takes. Ideally, I'd like to ensure that all full-sequence edits will impact all inner-takes, just as they would all the tracks. Does someone happen to know, off hand, which actions impact hidden takes, and which do not?

On a slightly different note, I have a bit of an irk when Comping drum tracks, and other multi-track groups. If I have 8 drum tracks, and 20 takes, then it can be utterly painful to have to view all 160 waveforms when performing my comping. Usually, seeing the snare, kick, and maybe overheads is enough for most of a sequence. I tried hiding all the other tracks, but came to an annoying conclusion: only tracks visible in the sequence window can have actions performed on them. Even though all my drum tracks were grouped together with all take/comping sync options turned on, if a track isn't visible, it doesn't get edited. Booo! So now I end up collapsing all of my unnecessary tracks down to as small as I can make them, but the screen clutter is still pretty ridiculous. Anyone found a better method?
Hi, did you get any light thrown on that issue? Seems the software guys never tried to arrange/compile any music in the app, or is that unfair ... but wow what a pain.

I make sequences often using DP as a tape recorder that I can do detailed edits on (audio & MIDI) The music contains rubato, like most music, and clicks kill most music for me, so the counter and bar measures are irrelevant to the musics nuts & bolts. I've done the whole beat adjust thing in the past and it's not a happy memory re. work on involved pieces. Any progress with this? I'll go mention this to MOTU unless it's already been done over & over?
Steve
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

toppo wrote:Hi, did you get any light thrown on that issue? Seems the software guys never tried to arrange/compile any music in the app, or is that unfair ... but wow what a pain.
Yeah, I think that's a bit unfair. Depending upon your workflow, it might not be an issue. Many people probably comp and then never look back, any major arrangement edits taking place long before or after the comping process, when this wouldn't even be an issue. Most pro studios have very structured processes where comping would always take place at a particular stage. The guys at MOTU are life-long recording engineers used to different variations of those processes, so it might not even occur to them that one would run into this issue. But I'm not a pro (in that I'm not on the clock), so I tweak and go forwards and backwards throughout the editing/mixing process in ways that a recording studio just wouldn't be able to do in a profitable manner, so I sometimes run into workflow issues that they wouldn't.

It's still a bug, and I think it should be cleared up, but I can totally understand how it could have been overlooked.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
toppo

Post by toppo »

I wouldn't describe it as a bug, just a terrible oversight. You leave optional takes on spare tracks on tape, so if the MOTU guys are or have been "engineers" they would know that when you snip or splice tape it's global and you need to deal with that situation. So arranging things on a DAW in this weird way is no bonus i.e. that when you globally insert or cut all the optional takes are left out of sync ... it's just a massive PITA. Default behaviour should be as with tape.
Steve