Avid Artist series and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Avid Artist series and DP

Post by nk_e »

Hi.

I was looking at the Artist Control as a possible purchase with DP integration being one of the important criteria. I get the impression from this thread that that is NOT a good idea? Is the Control no longer supported for DP by Avid. Is it flaky?

I can't tell from the comments here if it is a great control surface for DP or problematic....

Thx.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Bump. So the only way to use DP 8 and an Artist Control is via Mackie or HUI Emulation? Is "Eucon" still a supported control surface driver?

Thanks in advance.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

oceantracks wrote: Hey thanks for that. I'm new to DP8, and have an Artist Mix and MC Transport. I have not been able to figure out why I don't see the amount of menu commands available to assign to softkeys that I do in say, Pro Tools. I went to assign a "Click On/Off" command to a soft key on the MC Transport and I could not find it to add. Is that due to Avid not supporting?

I left a question on the Avid/MC Controllers forum and it has not been answered.
Can you not assign a general key command? That's what I do in Cubase, and will try to do once DP arrives. I have custom CC +/- commands for my commonly used controllers (1, 2, 7, 11, custom CCs, velocity, etc).
General key command assignments on the touch screen should be there. Custom commands might not, but just create a key command binding.

Avid stopped integrated/DAW-specific 3rd party support, but there shouldn't be a problem assigning custom key commands, icons, colors and menu pages to the Control's touch screen. Only things like buttons, Control Room knob, etc would have to be supported by Avid as custom Eucon mappings as they are commands integrated into the DAW, and hardware that for the most part can't be remapped manually.

I assume key command assignments will work just as well in DP as in Cubase. If not, that would be unfortunate.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

If I'm reading you correctly, Avid's website (and MOTU's for that matter) is a bit misleading then. Both say that Eucon is supported in DP 6 and higher. This is not so...?

MOTU:
Control surface support

Get hands-on control of your mix with third-party automated control surfaces, such as the Avid Artist Series controllers (shown), Mackie Control Universal, or other HUI-compatible controllers. Adjust plug-in settings, automate filter sweeps in real time, and trim your mix with touch-sensitive flying faders and v-pots. It’s like putting your hands on DP itself.
AVID:
Get deep control over all aspects of MOTU Digital Performer. Simply install the EuControl software, which includes the MOTU EUCON adapter, choose the EUCON driver from the Control Surface Setup, and you're ready to go.

Artist Control features in Digital Performer:

Get instant access to most top-level Digital Performer functions using the preprogrammed Soft Keys
Create custom Soft Keys for additional Digital Performer functions or macro commands using the Soft Key Editor
Quickly jog, shuttle, zoom horizontally, and zoom vertically using the data entry wheel
Gain editing and mixing accuracy with the high-resolution faders and rotary encoders
Edit plug-ins, EQs, dynamics, inputs, aux sends, and mix destinations directly from the surface
Lock any surface fader to any track in Digital Performer using the Direct Assign feature
Create and save up to 48 fader configurations as Layouts with your project file
Toggle automation modes for each channel from the surface
Bring up the Mixing Board directly from the surface
Name tracks and parameters with up to nine characters
If it isn't supported anymore, that truly sucks as I just picked one up....However, there is no EuCon option in the control surface driver drop down. (I've verified EuCon is installed as it shows up in...and integrates nicely with...LOGIC. I don't really use LOGIC for much anymore and have been trying to reintegrate DP into my workflow. I'm really confused.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

As a beta guy for several companies, it always seem that DP is the oddball in various under-the-hood protocols as compared to other DAWS. Of course, all DAWs have the eccentricities, but DP, to me, has the Lion’s share.
That being the case, they SHOULD make their own control service. That way, all the DP under-the-hood eccentricities will be understood perfectly by the control service THEY THEMSELVES make.

They already have lots of hardware experience, this seems to be a no brainer. Maybe once the PC transition is over, and once 64 bit has a few updates, they will stop making all the tiny little audio interfaces and start making DP look like a BIG studio endeavor, with a full size console, hell, they can even make it modular so one can buy as many modules as one can afford.
If they did a good enough job of it, they might even make a unit so good that other DAWs wanted to make their programs fit the DP control surface!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

toodamnhip wrote:As a beta guy for several companies, it always seem that DP is the oddball in various under-the-hood protocols as compared to other DAWS. Of course, all DAWs have the eccentricities, but DP, to me, has the Lion’s share.
That being the case, they SHOULD make their own control service. That way, all the DP under-the-hood eccentricities will be understood perfectly by the control service THEY THEMSELVES make.

They already have lots of hardware experience, this seems to be a no brainer. Maybe once the PC transition is over, and once 64 bit has a few updates, they will stop making all the tiny little audio interfaces and start making DP look like a BIG studio endeavor, with a full size console, hell, they can even make it modular so one can buy as many modules as one can afford.
If they did a good enough job of it, they might even make a unit so good that other DAWs wanted to make their programs fit the DP control surface!

TDH its funny you mention that,I actually mentioned to tech support and left a message for Magic Dave on Friday that they should make a control surface with moving faders etc...
I think it would be a Home Run!
There's a real need for DP users as well as other Daws and with MOTUs hardware & software knowledge,I do think they could really make a great product that would integrate with DP.
How & why they haven't delved into this market baffles me.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

Hello, I reinstalled the first version of the Eucon (can't remember what number is) and its working good with DP7.23 and DP8.

As always, it takes a fair amount of processing but I'm used to that. Honestly I love these controllers.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
thenolan

Post by thenolan »

Just wanted to add to this older thread that DP does indeed still have Avid Artist Series integration. I read this thread dismayed because I had just bought Euphonix logo'ed older versions of Artist Control V2 and MC Mix and thought I had wasted my money. EuControl was not showing up as a control for me either. But I figured out that the issue is that DP8 installs has the working versions of the EuControl driver. So if you install updates from Avid it will overwrite the (correct) DP driver with one that is not compatible. So I just reinstalled the latest version of DP8 and then EuControl appeared in my control surfaces. Integration is pretty good- not as cool as Pro Tools integration but almost so. I am a happy camper and now just need some time to figure all of this out!

Just wanted to post a note so no one else gets dismayed over this issue. This is addressed elsewhere in this forum but not on this thread so wanted to put a tag in there with this possible solution if you can not get EuControl in your DP Control Service menu.

Cheers!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

^^^Thanks for your kind sharing of this info thenolan.
Vadimoka

Post by Vadimoka »

Everything works fine with version 2.7.1
3.0 I did not work with DP8. I use Artist mix
Imac 21* I5 24Gb, Digital Performer 8.07,PT11, Mach Five3.2.1,TonePort UX-8, MOTU Traveler,UAD-2 Octo, Artist Mix
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

hmmm!! interesting news.
I've just posted a technical issue in MOTU web tech support about MCControl disfunction on DP. In my case, when I change between sequences MCControl display become frozen and faders and knobs don't work . As well, since I updated avid driver to v3 I've noticed an insane increase in DP processing requirements (???).
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

We have to face the reality that it would be completely out of character for Avid to want us to succeed in implementing any of their products with DP.

It's a shame, Euphonix was such a great company..

I still have an MC Control and an MC Mix, version 1, that I didn't sell yet. I kept them for FCP, but they don't work with FCP X, so in lieu of not being able to get them to work as simple MIDI controllers (which would be useful), I have no reason to keep them anymore.

+1 on MOTU coming out with a real controller for DP, I would buy it.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Killahurts wrote:
+1 on MOTU coming out with a real controller for DP, I would buy it.
Yes, asked for that years ago, and now that DP is x-platform it should happen. :woohoo:
DP10.13
Vadimoka

Post by Vadimoka »

I too was upset ... I had such with earlier versions of the drivers.
DP earned in the version 2.6 and 2.7.1.
3.0 to make a change for Pro Tools 11 ... and ceases to work with DP ... also check and put back 2.7.1
Imac 21* I5 24Gb, Digital Performer 8.07,PT11, Mach Five3.2.1,TonePort UX-8, MOTU Traveler,UAD-2 Octo, Artist Mix
brianbotkiller

Post by brianbotkiller »

Sorry to say, but you're misinformed. Avid has never cut off support for DP. Avid does not make an application eucon compatible; the developer does. MOTU was one of the first Developers to make their application Eucon compatible.

DP 8 is supported by Eucon. If it were not, we would not be able to choose eucon as a control surface without dragging DP into the eucon panel in system preferences.