Live Kick Drum replacement

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daveyboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by daveyboy »

A tip when using trigger or other drum replacement tool. Duplicate your kick or snare and put the plugin on the duplicate track. You can then easily blend the original and sample together to taste. I usually use a combo of both as its more realistic. Trigger has a mix control for this if you're inserting it on the original track but it's quicker and easier to have it on its own fader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
Klaus

Re: Live Kick Drum replacement

Post by Klaus »

Wasn't this about 'live kick replacement', like during a show ?
I used to do this with a G4, AULab and Aptrigga, I could go down to somewhat like 4msec latency, to stay stable...the G4 was used *only* for that !
Maybe the newer systems would be faster...and still be stable...
I'm almost sure DP will eat to much cpu compared to a lean host like AULab, to be within
small latencies and still be stable...
Aptrigga was really cool, stacking sounds...
Onboard Mac soundcard :
L : Kick, Aptrigga with 3 stacked kicks,
R : Snare, Aptrigga with 5 stacked snares
I did gate/expand the original miks though

Best

Klaus
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I find "trigger" does a decent job. If it's a problem getting it to trigger properly you can always use dynamics plugins ahead of it to tame the signal or even gate it. It usually ends up a bit late due to the transient leading edge rise time and/or latency but I get usable results without too much work.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I don't get why you should need a plug in at all for this. You should be able to copy the beats straight to a MIDI track.
As DPs Beat Detection Engine has already analysed the audio for beats it should be a piece of cake to implement that function, just as you can copy pitch from audio tracks into MIDI tracks already.
There should be an additional item
In the drop down menu (along with volume, pitch, soundbites, pan etc) called 'Pitch' where you could manipulate beats and copy them just like pitch!
I've requested this from MOTU, hopefully it shows up in future versions.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Slate trigger, seriously forget the rest.

Takes minutes, comes with great samples or import your own.

Ps I tried with the trigger plugin in DP but found it near useless, I don't know why they don't either modernize it, or just delete it.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

David Polich wrote:When you select "Save as MIDI", you get a dialog box asking where you
want to save the file...I usually save it to the DP project folder, then
reimport it into the Chunks window (by simple dragging). Then I open it,
copy the MIDI track, return to the main sequence, and paste it to the main sequence.
I ended up using melodyne. I gated the kick and bounced it to disk with "project format" then "add to Sequence" chosen. Then I opened melodyne (as an AU plugin) in that track hit "transfer" which recorded it into melodyne, then saved as SMF onto the desktop and dragged it from there directly into the tracks window. Worked flawlessly! I suppose I could have foregone the bounce if I had just opened the Melodyne plug under the gate in the original track?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq