Stopping unused tracks showing in Meter Bridge

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stevenew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stopping unused tracks showing in Meter Bridge

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

In most of my projects I have a folder of unused audio tracks (which I keep just in case:-) so they are not enabled but still show up in the Meter Bridge albeit greyed out. Is there a way to remove them completely from the Meter Bridge?

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Shooshie

Re: Stopping unused tracks showing in Meter Bridge

Post by Shooshie »

I haven't tried it, but it seems like disabling the track might work. That's not the same as muting or deselecting "Play." The track enabler is the extra blue button in another column somewhere near the track name in the Tracks Overview Window. For all practical purposes, the track ceases to exist when it is disabled that way. But I haven't checked to see if it removes it from the Meter Bridge. Let us know, ok?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've tried it. Disabling just greys the tracks out in the Meter Bridge. This window is in serious need of a channel/track selector.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Copy the unused tracks, and their selected content, to a new sequence/chunk and then delete them from the first sequence. Just make sure you have all the events selected properly before you copy the selection over to the new sequence. That way you won't lose any data when you delete them from the first sequence. It kind of sucks when there's a soundbite at bar 56 but you only selected to bar 40. Oops!

If you copy over a Track Folder, the folder won't survive the trip, but the tracks will. If you really needed Track Folders, you would have to create new track folders in the new sequence.

You can group different instruments into different sequences, if you like. Use them just like folders. Make sure the tracks are disabled so they don't use up any resources. They will become enabled when they're moved between sequences. If you need them later, just drag them back into the first sequence.

You can leave empty folders in the first sequence to remind you that you have the other sequences. Sometimes I forget.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, sorry I should have made it clear that I had 'disabled' the tracks as well as deselecting 'Play' which as noted above just greys out the tracks in Meter Bridge.

@Dan,
Excellent idea - thanks, pulling my hair out trying to think of a way round this without deleting the unused tracks from the project.

Yes, the Meter Bridge really needs a channel/track selector.

Thanks guys

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's kinda what I figured. Yeah, why didn't they just put a track selector in there to begin with? It's hard to use that thing, what with all the dead meters you have to put up with. On the other hand, it's still nice when you've got a lot of tracks to watch. Maybe some day.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Duplicate Sequence in the Chunks window and label it "Unused Tracks" then delete to your hearts content.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cbergm7210 wrote:Duplicate Sequence in the Chunks window and label it "Unused Tracks" then delete to your hearts content.
+1
I've used that method quite a lot!

Shoosh
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cbergm7210 wrote:Duplicate Sequence in the Chunks window and label it "Unused Tracks" then delete to your hearts content.
I forgot whether this keeps the folder structure?
And the MIDI and/or audio takes?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:
I forgot whether this keeps the folder structure?
And the MIDI and/or audio takes?
Yes, when you use Duplicate Chunk from the Project menu, or Duplicate Sequence from the Chunks window menu, the Track Folders, Takes, and MIDI assignments stay intact. I didn't check assignments to VEPro or Bidule.
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Awesome.

Thanks, Dan 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Yes the Meter Bridge again, I thought I would resurrect this thread. Anyone know if a track selector for Meter Bridge is coming in DP9?

I am going to be mixing a very large project, I need to see different groups of Meters together, I'm mixing so no deleting of tracks or moving to other sequences is going to work. How do you guys do it on large projects?
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I have always hoped that Motu would come out with a simple meter plugin.

There is the trim plugin, and the calibration plugin, but no simple meter plugin.

I did an exhaustive search on the internet at one point for a simple bar-graph meter, but there is none.

There are allot of meters, some of them free, but they are way too complicated for a quick check of levels or to see if you are peaking.

They have correlation graphs, inter-sample-whatevers, extra knobs that make the meter twice the screen-space it should take, horizontal instead of vertical ballistics, five different colors in the bar-graph, phase readouts, old-analog-style needle VU's, you name it.

Everything except a simple sizable old-style-recording-console vertical bar-graph that would show you levels in green, then red when you exceeded peak.

I like DPs meter-bridge allot, I just wish they made it as a plug-in or custom console option so you could have certain track meters up where you want them instead of having to see everything in meter-bridge and trying to remember which channel is what.

I know you can see levels in other places like the tracks window, but they are typically too small to sort of keep tabs on them out of the "corner of your eye" when you are working.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Here is a sample of what's bundled with Logic...

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logi ... 6section=0
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

I have never understood why there is not a track selector in Meter Bridge.

I use spaces and have Meter Bridge setup in a space of it's own, I can just about squeeze all the tracks in a window but I still have to look the for the tracks I want, I can't just quickly glance and go back to the mixer. For example I would like to select just the guitar tracks and guitar buss or just all the drum tracks and drum buss snd so forth. When the project is big you can't even get all the tracks in the window and have to scroll.