Do you still dedicate the first measure to CC# etc?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Do you still dedicate the first measure to CC# etc?

Post by Tomas E »

A long time ago it was suggested that one should not record anything into the first measure but to dedicate it to CC#, program change and so on. I've done it this way so far. Is this still the way to do it or are today's DAWs and computers enough fast to let one include everything from the beginning? It would simplify the work anyway.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Do you still dedicate the first measure to CC# etc?

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm in the "Bar 2" category.

I leave the first couple of beats in Bar 1 alone for MIDI notes. Pick up notes into bar 2 are OK.

Just what I'm used to!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I routinely put four bars of "blank" space before the start of any sequence.
Not so much for MIDI data to "catch up", but to give VI's and effects (especially CPU-heavy ones) a chance to "get going". Case in point - Drumagog 5, which I use to replace crappy drum tracks. Drumagog uses look-ahead, but as
soon as it sees any audio, the sample you have loaded will "trigger". So I give Drumagog those four bars to do its thing and then the sequence will actually start.

Several instances of Amplitube 3 can cause a "thump" of audio when playback is first started, too. Sometimes an instance of T-racks3 will emit a white noise burst upon start of playback as well. Gotta give all that crap a chance
to happen and then "settle down" before the music starts.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

David Polich wrote:I routinely put four bars of "blank" space before the start of any sequence. Not so much for MIDI data to "catch up", but to give VI's and effects (especially CPU-heavy ones) a chance to "get going". .
We do exactly the same thing here.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

Aha, four bars. Haven't thought about that before but that actually sounds more even. It should be easier to keep track of were you are in a song compared to adding only one measure. Or maybe one could add three measures if you're about to write a walz etc.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

buzzsmith wrote:I'm in the "Bar 2" category.

I leave the first couple of beats in Bar 1 alone for MIDI notes. Pick up notes into bar 2 are OK.

Just what I'm used to!

Buzzy
+1
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The first bar of every MIDI track for me is a Reset All Parameters, All Notes Off, and zeroing of Pitch Bend and Afterpressure.

I stopped using SysEx years ago as it is too specific to a tergeted product and I like my MIDI to be neutral. This also means my MIDI is useless in QuickTime for a quick preview, but I don't care. I also don't use Patch Changes anymore.

In the second bar, I introduce any necessary events such as CC's for Sample Modeling and other plugs that might need non-default values for an expression parameter or the like.

I NEVER EVER EVER assign effect levels via MIDI. I save effects to audio processing after rendering dry audio tracks from the MIDI. If I am using hardware, then I turn off effects on the hardware -- similarly with Kontakt and other VI sources.

In general, I give a count-in for every project, lasting at least two bars and usually a bit longer.

I may switch to a standard four bar count-in though, as I have experienced some of the "audio catch-up" problems that Dave mentions, with certain tools. My current two-to-three-bar count-in is based more on MIDI catch-up than audio catch-up, but I have noticed inconsistent results on the first few bars so should go for a longer count-in.

Note that tempo matters as audio catch-up is more time-based than strictly affected by the number of bars. So I sometimes base my count-in length on the tempo.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Ann P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
D'angelico Bari, Dano 56 Bari, Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro Jazzmaster, Johhny Marr Jag, 57 LP, G5422-12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, EXL1, Guild Bari, Guild 1512, OM28VTS, E20P, M20, 0040MH
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

One nice thing about starting at bar 5 is that you maintain visual 4-bar phrasing identity even when zooming out twice. At normal zoom, you can see every bar, at first zoom-out you see every two bars (1,3,5,etc), at second zoom-out you see every 4 bars (1,5,9,etc). This is really useful while you're editing later in post. Of course, I often forget this and start recording at bar 3, but I really should.

I suggest NEVER start recording on bar 2, though. Often times musicians want 2 bars for nothing at the start, and you'll never be able to zoom out, even once, without visually losing your phrasing.

As for CC# stuff? you can do that right on the beginning of the first measure. HOWEVER, if you turn on MIDI event chasing, you might not even need to put in CC data at all, as I'm pretty sure it will find the first instance of that data, and use that as the initial value. These days, I try to use CC data as little as possible: only for expression, sustain, pitch, monotouch, and mod wheel. I do all volume and panning automation on VI tracks, it's just a lot cleaner.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

YES. Use bar zero for data. Sometimes my first bar is 1/4 and sometimes it's 7/4 depending on edits I have to make to picture due to directorial demands. It's crucial to have that open bar.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

I don't do sound for picture , only pop tunes, and I always set the sequence start to
Bar -2 (minus 2) smpte 00:00:00:00 and insert CCs, program changes, etc. on beat 2 of Bar -2 allowing an actual 'stick click' sound to be recorded for a countoff beginning bar -1.

my 2¢ Schweats
Last edited by Schweats on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I always start most sequences at measure -1, so I have two full bars lead in. I also locate to 1-1-000 see what the elapsed time is at that spot, then turn it into a negative number and at that as a realtime offset so my realtime display is accurate as i really try to keep an eye on songs that get too long and stay under 4 minutes tops. That's just me! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

My template opens with 2 CT tempo points: one at 120 BPM at bar 0 (so Bar 1 is always 0:00:00 and it always tells me the elapsed time at any given point) and another at 120 at bar one (this one always changes to whatever the tempo of the piece will be).
If there are pickups I adjust measure one's time signature as needed.

All the initial CCs are always in measure 0.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

I do a combination of Shweats & James; start at -2 measures and adjust to negative SMPTE and real time so that measure 1 is absolute 0 in all time formats. I have one peculiarity left over from the slow processor days. That is to stagger all my MIDI info; sysex at the very beginning then any other data serially 100 ticks apart. This is all old habit but of course the nice thing is that now we can always add measures and make time adjustments after the fact. :dance:

Just make sure the recording actually starts before the drummer hits his first cymbal at 0|0|447 or something like that. Yikes :!:
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

ooops! ... I meant 0|4|447 :oops:

You see how easy it is to screw this up?
I'm not going to abandon pick up measures. If anything I might add one. 8)
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Yeah, at least 4 bars empty for me, if not more. For the most part I work on film, and have each sequence be the full length of the reel. So I'll often have literally hundreds of measures empty before music start. This way I can accommodate changes easily like starting the music earlier, or extending, or repeating, without having to resort to major math. I set the sequence to the general tempo of the cue, and if I need to fine-tune start times in relation to meter and tempo, I'll insert meter changes or tempo changes as needed into the academy leader at the top of the reel, so that the music and picture start on the beat I want them to.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers