Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dan Worley »

Apparently it's supposed to be released today (June 27). I ordered the crossgrade from AudioDeluxe for $199. I think other online dealers will also be offering that crossgrade, and Slate might be doing some sort of vouchers for existing customers at their online shop, though I'm not sure.

You can crossgrade from Slate Digital VCC, Waves Kramer MPX, UA Studer or Ampex.

I really like VCC and I'm hoping VTM is great in its own way.
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Re: Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Post by mhschmieder »

Haven't received the email yet, either announcing the product's availability or the cross-grade promotion. Am looking forward to this product, and it will be interesting to see whether it relegates Nomad Factory MAGNETIC to the virtual dustbin.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

It looks interesting for sure and knowing what Fabrice and Steven are capable of I'm sure it will sound amazing!
With that being said if its anything like FG-X or VCC, I'm ready to wait a bit for a few updates as I suspect CPU demands will be lowered with successive updates.
I already have UAD Studer & Ampex as well as the Waves tape emu,I know i can always get the cross-grade offer and they're bound to have one of their sales sooner or later.
I also looked for system requirements and info stating if it's 32bit or 64bit and couldn't find any info.
I'm prepared to wait a bit for them to optimize the demands this plug will undoubtedly have for the 1st version of the release & wait for one of their killer sales....... ;-)

P.S.
Dan did you pay the $199 or make an offer?
I always forget about that option and I'm always curious what kind of discount AudioDeluxe will say YES to......
I love bargains! lol
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

kgdrum wrote:P.S.
Dan did you pay the $199 or make an offer?
I didn't make an offer. I just paid the $199. :oops: Don't tell me if you get it cheaper. :wink:
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Finally received the license and installed VTM. I have MFX and Magnetic and a few other tape plugs. No UAD plugs, though.

Mind you, this is my first listen and I'm pretty excited about this plug-in (Slate's plug-ins get me going), but I just inserted the 1/2" 2-track on the Master fader, and... HOLY CHARGED PARTICLES, BATMAN, this thing really sounds like real, nonlinear (ever-changing), live tape. Unbelievable!!!

Can't wait to try the 16-track model on the individual tracks.

Wow!!!

:D :D :D
Last edited by Dan Worley on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP10.13
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Yeah, I'm hoping for a glorious "Waves Kramer killed by Slate"... :D

VCC is a total game changer, so my hopes are high.

When Waves v9 turned out to be incompatible with DP *after* I paid my effin WUP, that's when I decided it's time to get out from under the Waves knell. Slate may just help me kick em to the curb for good (since they also offer a great alternative to L3...)
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Dan- what kind of CPU hit are you seeing with this plug?
That's my 1st hesitation with any new plug from Slate.
I'm using tapatalk so I don't see a signature what's your system specs?
Thanks,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

kgdrum wrote:Dan- what kind of CPU hit are you seeing with this plug?
That's my 1st hesitation with any new plug from Slate.
I'm using tapatalk so I don't see a signature what's your system specs?
Thanks,
KG
KG,

I was just coming on here to say the CPU hit is serious. It just eats my humble machine up when I start adding instances, whether they're grouped or not. I just tried it on 9 tracks and it's unusable. :cry:

Hopefully releases will come quickly to improve this, just as they did with VCC.

DP 7.21 • 2 x 3Ghz Intel MacPro • 9GB RAM • 10.6.8
DP10.13
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Silly question - wouldn't you have this on the master buss only? Or perhaps on a couple of submixes? The most Kramer instances I ever ran was four, when mixing in separate stems.

I guess I always interpreted it as going *to* tape, not coming *from* tape...
Kubi
Kubilay Uner
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Kubi wrote:Silly question - wouldn't you have this on the master buss only? Or perhaps on a couple of submixes? The most Kramer instances I ever ran was four, when mixing in separate stems.

I use MPX the same way as you, Kubi. We can do that with this plug too, of course, but Slate has recommended inserting the 2" 16-track model on all tracks and the 1/2" 2-track model on the 2-buss. That's what they had in mind when they designed it, so I thought I'd give that a try. Guess what? It's amazing!!! I was able to do most of the tracks of a small mix so I could bypass it and hear the difference. Incredible! I'm extremely happy with the sound. Not happy about the CPU hit, but, you know, the power is being used for something good. :)
DP10.13
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

If you don't have UAD, then this looks to be a really good solution to
getting that "tape machine" sound. If you already own UAD's Studer and Ampex, I really don't see the need for Slate VTM.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Dan Worley wrote:
Kubi wrote:Silly question - wouldn't you have this on the master buss only? Or perhaps on a couple of submixes? The most Kramer instances I ever ran was four, when mixing in separate stems.

I use MPX the same way as you, Kubi. We can do that with this plug too, of course, but Slate has recommended inserting the 2" 16-track model on all tracks and the 1/2" 2-track model on the 2-buss. That's what they had in mind when they designed it, so I thought I'd give that a try. Guess what? It's amazing!!! I was able to do most of the tracks of a small mix so I could bypass it and hear the difference. Incredible! I'm extremely happy with the sound. Not happy about the CPU hit, but, you know, the power is being used for something good. :)

Ah yes, I saw the instructions since I posted earlier. Yeah, Slate wants to both "come from tape and go to tape", so CPU hit is obviously an issue. Well, he managed to reign it in for VCC, let's hope he'll be able to do the same with this.
Kubi
Kubilay Uner
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

David Polich wrote:If you don't have UAD, then this looks to be a really good solution to
getting that "tape machine" sound. If you already own UAD's Studer and Ampex, I really don't see the need for Slate VTM.
What if it sounds better?

:D :D :D

(I wouldn't know haven't tried either yet...)
Kubi
Kubilay Uner
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

David Polich wrote:If you don't have UAD, then this looks to be a really good solution to
If you're completely satisfied with what you have, sure, don't spend the money. I think Slate does have a demo and it might be interesting to compare. They felt tape hadn't been done right yet. Maybe you'll agree with them after you hear what they've done, but maybe not. It for sure will be different. I have no way of comparing because I don't have a UAD card.
DP10.13
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Dan Worley wrote:I think Slate does have a demo and it might be interesting to compare.
I compared quickly last night with the Studer A800 Universal Audio and these products are not comparable.
Universal Audio simulation is much more raw and aggressive, whereas with the VTM, at first I did not notice any difference in sound.
The one sees when has the lack of VTM in bypass mode, it's incredible. Need to return to the small red button Settings like to make an adjustment of the Low frequencies.
As with the V.C.C. very subtle but very present. :sorry: for the translate language . :oops:
Last edited by corbo-billy on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _