Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikeka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Post by mikeka »

Yes. I made an offer (crossgrade) and got a significantly lower price at A DL. Go for it. You'll be happy :)
DP 8.07 64 bit, OS 10.10.5, Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.33ghz, 16GB ram, lots 'o plugs and VIs
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks, all. It says, "sorry, you can only obtain one coupon". Slate doesn't take problem queries; I forget how that is dealt with. I think I remember now that the coupon went to a web browser tab, meaning that I can't access it unless I use it in the same session that I requested it.

Oh well; guess I'll need to buy it indirectly via Audio Damage instead. Too bad, as the coupon never expires, given that I own VCC etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mikeka wrote:Yes. I made an offer (crossgrade) and got a significantly lower price at A DL. Go for it. You'll be happy :)
Ditto. 8)
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

cbergm7210 wrote:
mikeka wrote:Yes. I made an offer (crossgrade) and got a significantly lower price at A DL. Go for it. You'll be happy :)
Ditto. 8)
Many thanks for the tip about Audio Deluxe! I just went for it, and you were right – I'm happy! :dance:

Best,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I always hear people raving about tape emulator plugs (or tape in general), but I've never owned a plug-in like this. Also, I really don't know the professional "sound of tape" (never had one to play or experiment with).

I wonder if anyone could make a quick 15-20 sec. example (with/without it) to illustrate how this plug contributes to the overall sound? I'd like to compare them to know what to expect...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:I always hear people raving about tape emulator plugs (or tape in general), but I've never owned a plug-in like this. Also, I really don't know the professional "sound of tape" (never had one to play or experiment with).

I wonder if anyone could make a quick 15-20 sec. example (with/without it) to illustrate how this plug contributes to the overall sound? I'd like to compare them to know what to expect...
You can download a few of Slate's test files and compare the real thing to the plug and no tape at all.

http://www.slatedigital.com/vtmaudio
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Does anyone know if that "Make an offer" will still be good after Slate's own promotional ends this Friday? I'm still not quite done moving to my new residence, and haven't even BEGUN to start setting it up, so don't expect to have a functioning computer for another week or so. I don't even remember if I already bought it a my head is spinning at this point, and can't check until my computer is set up at home again.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

well I for 1 would be surprised if you haven't bought VTM already ;-)
generally AudioDeluxe has the "make a offer" button at their regular site or their eBay store.

Myself,regardless: I'm waiting a bit for Slate to do a few updates to optimize VTM for efficiency and pounce when they have the next big sale and grab it at some crazy discount as they always do.......
My guess it will be somewhere between $125 - to $150(secretly hope $99) lol
& by then it might be easier for me to use on my Quad........
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote: You can download a few of Slate's test files and compare the real thing to the plug and no tape at all.

http://www.slatedigital.com/vtmaudio
Cool. Will do so.

I might end up getting this thing... thanks to you guys :roll:
:lol:

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dix

Post by dix »

I received an email from Slate Tuesday (the 24th) saying the offer expired Friday (today), but when I went to redeem the coupon it says it expired last Friday. They're still advertising the discount on their site. Anyone know what's up? I only have Trigger so I'm not eligible for the AudioDeluxe cross-grade. …i'm waiting to hear from Slate to see if I missed the bus or what.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

I thought I should mention: Slate got back to me today and reactivated my $50-off voucher.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Great news!
Slate is 1 of the nicer companies to deal with.
Stevens genuine passion with Slate Digital is reflective of all of the amazing product developments he and Fabrice have been coming up with.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Given that I had a snafu due to not knowing the voucher was only active for a live session to be completed at that point in time vs. saving for later, probably I'll get the same treatment if I don't buy it through the other vendor once my new place is set up and functioning (I can't really do music/audio at the moment and can barely type comfortably while sitting on the floor using a temporary internet connection). Good to know. I may send an email to Slate Digital pre-emptively. My new internet connection is up and down at the moment while we ro9ute it through the house.

dix

Post by dix »

I'm loving VTM! It really makes a noticeable improvement on everything it touches.

However, version 1.0 is indeed a CPU killer. Its recommended to put an instance on every track of audio, but with my rig, even with no VIs running and buffers maxed, I can't get close on even a modest size project. It also does that thing where it locks out computer keyboard transport commands while its window is active.

Folks are saying Slate is good about increasing efficiency and working out other bugs on subsequent updates. I'll certainly be looking forward to that. For the time being I'm processing most audio off-line with VTM before I mix. A PIA to be sure, but worth it to get the benefits of this amazing plugin.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

dix wrote:I'm loving VTM! It really makes a noticeable improvement on everything it touches.

However, version 1.0 is indeed a CPU killer. Its recommended to put an instance on every track of audio, but with my rig, even with no VIs running and buffers maxed, I can't get close on even a modest size project. It also does that thing where it locks out computer keyboard transport commands while its window is active.

Folks are saying Slate is good about increasing efficiency and working out other bugs on subsequent updates. I'll certainly be looking forward to that. For the time being I'm processing most audio off-line with VTM before I mix. A PIA to be sure, but worth it to get the benefits of this amazing plugin.

I asked Fabrice about a possible update that would make VTM more CPU efficient @ GS.
I explained to him that's the sole reason I've held off buying it.
He responded & said they're already working on it & should be updated soon.
Fabrice also stated the code for VTM is more complicated than VCC or FG-X so even with an optimization oriented update,VTM will still be the most CPU demanding of these 3 plugs.