Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Post by kgdrum »

nightwatch wrote:
kgdrum wrote:
nightwatch wrote:I had to leave my little favorite, WatKat behind. So sad. :cry:

Why?
I haven't used it but I have it in my rig via jbridge.
I guess I should try it,lol
As I have both the UA Studer & Ampex and now VTM ,I've never tried Watkat,and I never use the tape emu's from Nomad & Waves(can't remember the names)
But when I was setting up JBridge WatKat was one plug that showed up as a VST so I have it ,I'll try it and confirm its working in a bit.

Edit*
WatKat is working,funky tape echo emu,will have to delve into it more nice unique plug,thanks for the reminder ;-)
Because I haven't installed jbridge yet. I don't know if I'm being lazy or if I don't want to use a bridge. I'll check it out. If jbridge is transparent and free or cheap, maybe I'll do it. I just haven't bothered to look for it. I missed the jbridge memo. :D
$13 ;-)

And you can use WatKat,NI's B4 if you have it,CSR,URS,SoundToys,AAS etc.... we all have a few stragglers or orphaned plugs and VI's,for me to have access to them not to mention my UAD until UA updates is worth $13 ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JBridgeM is easy to use. It practically does everything for you. All you have to do is run the bridging app, tell it which plugin you want to bridge, and whether you want to bridge to a 64 bit or 32 bit host. (64 bit, of course) It does the rest.

Boot DP, go to the plugins pref window, activate that (or those) plugin(s), and let DP restart its audio system. You're in business.

It allows you to try it out for 20 minutes, then it shuts off. Just reinstate the plugin, and away you go for another 20 minutes. Each time you just have to delete the plugin and choose it again. Of course, you can buy it and not have to do that. I'm waiting for the developer to send me whatever he sends to stop the demo mode, but unfortunately he's sleeping (in Europe) right now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I finally get it unlocked.

I'm using it to run Slate's FG-X, which is proving to be very interesting. I like it so far.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Tobor wrote:I'm quite sure it's probably not the best tape plug out there, but I've actually had some good results inserting Kramer right before the limiter on the mix bus.

Try out the 'Mastering Soft Clean Compression' preset under the Mastering preset menu, it's pretty nice and not harsh to my ears at all in my contexts. The record level is at minimum, playback level at maximum on this preset.

I haven't tried Kramer out much on individual instruments, but it can be a useful tool depending on how you use it.
That was the first preset I ever tried with MPX, between my compressor and my limiter, and before that, AS my compressor. I could never get it to sound right to my ears in either instance, same with other presets, like the "Mastering Big & Open", etc. I dug the tape and machine noise, which actually did the most (for me) to tie the mix together, but at either a 15ips or 30ips setting, it felt like it ate up too much of the low end and gave too much midrange presence, which is where I'm getting the "harsh" from. Even the default mode, with theoretically zero drive, just the "natural' sound of hitting tape through an Ampex, I was getting these results. Plus, it seemed like each subsequent update through Waves v8 caused the plug to eat up more CPU, until, by 8.6, I could no longer preview my settings in real time or even load up the plug (bypassed or not) without massive stuttering. The "Tape Deck" setting on the URS Saturation gave me better results, though it mostly bumped up the lower midrange and sounded more "iron" than anything else. ReelBus seems like a great compromise between the two -- enough midrange to sound like tape with a decent preservation of the low end and the least amount of hit on my CPU. It's probably a matter of personal taste and what's going into the plug to begin with.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Shooshie wrote:JBridgeM is easy to use. It practically does everything for you. All you have to do is run the bridging app, tell it which plugin you want to bridge, and whether you want to bridge to a 64 bit or 32 bit host. (64 bit, of course) It does the rest.

Boot DP, go to the plugins pref window, activate that (or those) plugin(s), and let DP restart its audio system. You're in business.

It allows you to try it out for 20 minutes, then it shuts off. Just reinstate the plugin, and away you go for another 20 minutes. Each time you just have to delete the plugin and choose it again. Of course, you can buy it and not have to do that. I'm waiting for the developer to send me whatever he sends to stop the demo mode, but unfortunately he's sleeping (in Europe) right now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I finally get it unlocked.

I'm using it to run Slate's FG-X, which is proving to be very interesting. I like it so far.

Shooshie
he responds quickly,who needs sleep anyway?
I actually hate plug demos & after seeing all of the users who were loving this great app,I just went ahead bought it and installed it sans demo.
I'm sure once you get it going you'll love it & even if you don't like FG-X(which would surprise me)you'll find other 32bit stragglers that you'll be able to use again and marvel at this ingenious $13 bargain! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Shooshie wrote:JBridgeM is easy to use. It practically does everything for you. All you have to do is run the bridging app, tell it which plugin you want to bridge, and whether you want to bridge to a 64 bit or 32 bit host. (64 bit, of course) It does the rest.

Shooshie
Thanks Shooshie. Actually I'd like to be able to use NI's Pro-53 again so I'll take a look.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Sorry for the OT, but does jBridge also bridge 32bit AUs? The website seems to only mention VSTs - not sure if that's because of the Windows heritage of jBridge or if the app indeed only bridges Mac VSTs.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kubi wrote:Sorry for the OT, but does jBridge also bridge 32bit AUs? The website seems to only mention VSTs - not sure if that's because of the Windows heritage of jBridge or if the app indeed only bridges Mac VSTs.
Pretty sure it's just VST. That's why you have to go install VST versions of your plugs if you haven't. It can take some extra work since heretofore DP did not support VST and many users just installed AU versions.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Ah thanks - I may have some candidates that only exist as AUs and haven't been ported to 64bits yet, not sure. I've tried to be pretty diligent about always installing all versions. We'll see.

:koolaid:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

For now only VSTs,I talked to the developer about the possibility of 32bit AU,he's looking into it but it might take a while.He also mentioned that the AU platform might make this more difficult do he'd have to look into it.i was a bit leery before buying JBridge as I never used VSTs and mistakingly thought I'd have to hunt down a ton of them because years ago I remembered never dl'ing VST on installs,I was wrong so far I've only had to dl 1 VST.
JBridge works,it's easy to use and the developer is very responsive and obviously knows what he's doing.
JBridge is a great app!