Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kubi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate's Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Post by Kubi »

Finally got it - first test drives are nothing short of mind-blowing. Works really well in tandem with VCC. With those two together it's not even the same rig anymore, VTM lifts the overall quality of everything up again by about the same amount as VCC already did (and I wouldn't dream of mixing without VCC anymore...)

Brave new world we live in.

:D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Kubi wrote:Finally got it - first test drives are nothing short of mind-blowing. Works really well in tandem with VCC. With those two together it's not even the same rig anymore, VTM lifts the overall quality of everything up again by about the same amount as VCC already did (and I wouldn't dream of mixing without VCC anymore...)

Brave new world we live in.

:D
Kubi,
What's the CPU hit with this?
I'm on tapatalk so I don't know you rigs specs,
thanks
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Only tried it on a small mix so far (8 tracks into a single master) so I couldn't tell you. That worked fine. (2008 2x2.8 8core MacPro)

Good news is you can hear an immediate improvement even if you just use one instance on the master - so even if the CPU hit ends up being fairly substantial this thing is well worth it.
Kubi
Kubilay Uner
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I've trained myself to wait on Slate plugs for a few updates for them to optimize,and put on 1 of their killer sales.
But I'm sure it will be great!
Do you use any of the UAD's I'd love to hear from users of both how they compare,sound wise as well as the CPU hit.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Nope no UAD here.
Kubi
Kubilay Uner
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Purchased. Well done.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
zed

Post by zed »

Of course I am interested in this...

But since my 2408 mk3 is showing signs of not lasting much longer, I have decided that a UA Apollo will be my new audio interface, which has UAD plug-in processing built-in. The idea of being able to use a bunch of tape machine instances on my tracks without using any of my computer's resources is very appealing (especially since I have suffered the last 3.25 years with a serious bottleneck issue where DP's handling of plugins is concerned).

A 64-bit DP may make this less of an issue, once more RAM is added... but until I get a real sense of what all that is going to look like and how efficiently my computer is going to handle it, I am inclined to hold out for a UAD tape machine (at least for the present)

That said, I am not mixing down any final tracks right now. If I had an album or some tracks that needed to be finalized I would probably jump on this (and I expect that I will at some point). I will look forward to checking out the free trial once DP8 is released, and after any initial bugs have been ironed out.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Yes, this thing eats CPU's for lunch. My 2009 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon can only handle 6 or so instances on a current mix I am finishing. Bummer.

Hopefully a more efficient version will soon be forthcoming.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

cbergm7210 wrote:Yes, this thing eats CPU's for lunch. My 2009 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon can only handle 6 or so instances on a current mix I am finishing. Bummer.

Yeah, it's a CPU killer for sure. Because of that, I've been printing it directly to the soundbites via Audio > Plug-ins. I duplicate the Take, merge, and print the plug-in. That way I can easily go back to the original, if need be, but so far I haven't had the need. Oh, and if you're printing a plug-in to a stereo soundbite from the Audio menu, all the plug-ins will be listed as mono, but they're not, they are stereo. That little display error should be fixed by MOTU.

I'm overjoyed with VTM (and VCC).

I still use MPX and Magnetic, but more as specialty tools, like for softening up a harsh hi-hat or something like that. I really like the flexibility of Magnetic, and when it's set right it can sound great!
DP10.13
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Dan Worley wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:Yes, this thing eats CPU's for lunch. My 2009 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon can only handle 6 or so instances on a current mix I am finishing. Bummer.

Yeah, it's a CPU killer for sure. Because of that, I've been printing it directly to the soundbites via Audio > Plug-ins. I duplicate the Take, merge, and print the plug-in. That way I can easily go back to the original, if need be, but so far I haven't had the need. Oh, and if you're printing a plug-in to a stereo soundbite from the Audio menu, all the plug-ins will be listed as mono, but they're not, they are stereo. That little display error should be fixed by MOTU.

I still use MPX and Magnetic, but more as specialty tools, like for softening up a harsh hi-hat or something like that. I really like the flexibility of Magnetic, and when it's set right it can sound great!
My current mix (and many typically) has 25+ VI tracks, so to print the plug I'd have to run every track to an audio track first. A bit o' work, but I am tempted just to try it.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

cbergm7210 wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:

My current mix (and many typically) has 25+ VI tracks, so to print the plug I'd have to run every track to an audio track first. A bit o' work, but I am tempted just to try it.
I always forget that so many of you guys are running a lot of VI tracks. I record bands, mostly, so it doesn't occur to me. But I'm with you, I'm hoping Fabrice can lower the CPU usage.
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I can't find my $50 voucher (I own everything else in the Slate Digital catalogue and thought I'd be eligible). Did these come by email or via logging in, and if the latter, which login site (Slate splits it up with some "educational" site as the usual place to go for downloads).

I'm in the middle of moving and may have lost it (thought I got one and printed it out) but can't find it in my email archives either. Maybe for some reason I never received one (I seem to have to re-register with Slate every time I buy a new product).

Also, even more importantly, was/is there a deadline for the offer? I had to evacuate my apartment for a week, so I am having a very difficult time right now trying to get my papers back in order and to make sure I don't miss any time-sensitive offers that came along.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Copied from a fairly recent email...

Demo the VTM now at http://www.slatedigital.com!

Since we value our loyal customers, please redeem a non expiring $50 voucher here:
http://crossgrade-vtm.drumclassroom.net

Hope that helps.
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mhschmieder wrote:I can't find my $50 voucher (I own everything else in the Slate Digital catalogue and thought I'd be eligible). Did these come by email or via logging in, and if the latter, which login site (Slate splits it up with some "educational" site as the usual place to go for downloads).

I'm in the middle of moving and may have lost it (thought I got one and printed it out) but can't find it in my email archives either. Maybe for some reason I never received one (I seem to have to re-register with Slate every time I buy a new product).

Also, even more importantly, was/is there a deadline for the offer? I had to evacuate my apartment for a week, so I am having a very difficult time right now trying to get my papers back in order and to make sure I don't miss any time-sensitive offers that came along.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll actually get a better price at Audio Deluxe, even without a voucher. They have a crossgrade sale of $199. I think it works out to being $50 less than if you use a voucher at Slate.
DP10.13
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

Dan Worley wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll actually get a better price at Audio Deluxe, even without a voucher. They have a crossgrade sale of $199. I think it works out to being $50 less than if you use a voucher at Slate.
:?: The Slate direct price with the $50 voucher is $199. Audio DeLuxe quote an inflated list price of $399 :shock:, less the $200 crossgrade discount = $199.

Do you mean that A DL would be open to a negotiated price lower than that? They seem to encourage customers to 'make an offer'`.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.