New Product: MOTU Track 16

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And damn it Chevy made the Volt but didn't put out a new fire truck. For those of you who need cars, that's great but I have fires to put out. How does that help me?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Re: New Product: MOTU Track 16

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And damn it Chevy made the Volt but didn't put out a new fire truck. For those of you who need cars, that's great but I have fires to put out. How does that help me?
It must help due to it being FIRE wire
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:It is cool, but for those of us who have a MOTU audio interface we are happy with, does this product add anything?
What am I missing?
It doesn't seem to do anything unique or new. Maybe aimed at new users that might like the way it compares to a Duo.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Oh wow, another cool thing that I can't afford!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

i think they missed a trick not giving it 6 outputs for standard surround..

presume that big knob on it can act like a big knob? I'm talking Mackie big knob volume control incase some knob gets confused! :D

that would have perhaps convinced me it was what I needed...

like the glow in the dark LED.. thats useful as is the oscilloscope
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Expect a review within the next week or so after I've :rtfm:
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FutureLegends wrote:Nice video from B&H:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuaBLtKFPv8
:unicorn:
Excellent video. Answers pretty much every question I've considered asking about the Track 16. And the unit is quite an amazing device. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that MOTU would provide a big knob on their interfaces, such that you select the track/parameter you want and start adjusting. On their legacy boxes you can't do more than one thing at a time, anyway, so a single big knob is all we have every really needed. Of course there is CueMix (and it still is the fundamental interface of this unit), but CueMix has never felt "immediate." When you're working with audio, you need a big knob. (… and forget the Freudian overtones of that statement; sometimes a knob is just a knob) It just feels better when you're directly connected to inputs or outputs with a sensitive hardware device, and this is that.

Definitely on my watch list. I don't need it right now, but I can see myself having that if any of a number of possible changes in my work occur in the next few years. I'll bet we'll be seeing a Thunderbolt version of it. (darn! I had to buy a new Mac Pro, and couldn't wait until 2013 for Thunderbolt) This is one of the most exciting devices I've seen out there. If they have kept their A/D and D/A quality high, this should soon become a ubiquitous sight in studios, just as the MIDI Time Piece and 2408 have been.

:unicorn:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

I had been eying the UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid for quite a while for more I/O with my MBP. But the smaller foot print of the Track 16 really grabbed my attention as soon as it's impending release was announced.

Here are a couple of images taken soon after removal from the box.

The sleek design of the unit sparked immediate visual appeal while I found the clear layout of the knob, buttons, and connectors easy to operate. Labeling on the unit is easy to read.

The initial test was via hook up with the supplied beefy FW cable. The manual is well written with frequent mention of important aspects of set up and operation, which I found helpful. Viewing the excellent B&H video that FL posted above was also a quick jump starter.

The breakout cable and USB connections also worked flawlessly!

The big Knob does not control DAW functions but adjusts on-screen Cue Mix FX parameters as labeled on the unit itself:
- Input Trim for mic, guitar, analog and digital inputs inputs
- Outputs: main, phone, and line.

The glide of the knob is very smooth while the responsive push buttons provide a comfortable tactile contact.

A MIDI guitar controller was connected to the MIDI In cable, with the Out connected to a hardware sound module. No surprise, it worked perfectly.

All mic, guitar, and line inputs were transparent and quiet.
Main and phone outputs were also robust and quiet.

Heat was initially much less than what's generated by my MBP, but it increases the longer the unit is on.

So how does it sound?
I recorded 3 (out of 5) pick up positions on the fabulous Godin LGX-SA: pos. 1 Neck p.u. (SD SH II jazz humbucker), pos. 3 Combined humbucker and single coils, and pos. 5 Bridge p.u. (SD Custom lll humbucker).

A slow strum on an open E was a quick way to hear low to high notes while the resonant notes sustained to fade.
For comparison, this minimalist piece :lol: was DI recorded via Hi Z inputs into the Track 16, an 828 mill with Black Lion modification, Apogee One and Ensemble.

Next up, an unmodified Octava MC 012 recorded the same open E chord played on a hand-built Yari-Alvarez into the mic inputs of the above interfaces. Mic was pointed at the top of the body around the 17th fret (midway between the sound hole and where the neck begins to cross over the body).

Slight fader adjustments were made for a more even playback listening level. I don't have golden ears, but, listening through the Blue Sky MediaDesk MKll 2.1 monitors and AKG 701 headphones, I found the differences to be very subtle between the interfaces for both direct input and miked sounds.

If there's interest, I can load the labeled .aiff files to Drop Box so that you can decide for yourself. (Folder size is just over 28 MB).

Gripes: The stick-on rubber feet were easy enough to applied by the user. They also keep the unit steady on the surface to counteract the heft of the breakout cable. However. when I would push the unit aside, the sticky feet would slide out of place. This means I have to remember to pick it up to move. The other issue is the labeling on the cables. I'm a few months shy of the the big six O and have the vision to prove it!!! In my case, I need good illumination and my glasses in order to read the labels. Color-coding with various hues of electrical tape is gonna be a necessity. Hopefully MOTU will have the breakout box ready sooner than later.

Based on my short time with the Track 16, my impression is that it's a winner in both form and function. Miked and DI recorded guitars have depth and clarity. while the output for monitors and headphones is transparent and robust.

At this price point, the UltraLite-mk3 is a viable option. But in my case I wanted the smaller foot print while still having access to a wide range of I/O options.

:arrow: Bottom Line: :D 8) :headbang: :woohoo:

Audio files as referenced above: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20203707/Audio/ ... Bounce.zip

Magic Dave said he was gonna use one of these open E chords in his next CD. Seriously :mrgreen: That's what he said.
Last edited by wvandyck on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Thanks for the review!

Looks like MOTU has a winner on their hands. Even people on Gear Sl*tz seem to be positive towards it, and they usually bash everything motu over there.

Although retailers it's positive that B&H and also Sweetwater have released videos about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dYV4l3PPU
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have to say, that's a beautiful unit. I'm so glad to hear that its performance matches its design.

BTW, is that a Firewire 800 cable?

Thanks for the review. That helps a lot!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote:I have to say, that's a beautiful unit. I'm so glad to hear that its performance matches its design.

BTW, is that a Firewire 800 cable?

Thanks for the review. That helps a lot!

Shooshie
Good to hear that the review was helpful.

Paraphrasing the manual:
The Track 16 comes with a FW 9-pin Type B port that operates at 400 Mbit/s.
The provided cable is a 9-pin to 9-pin FW 400 B cable that looks like an 800.

The Trk16 can be connected to any FW port: Type A (6-pin), Type "mini" (4-pin), or Type B (9-pin).

Bus-powered operation is via FW 9-pin to 9-pin or 6-pin to 9-pin.

Use of the USB connection, breakout cables, FW 4-pin, or daisy-chaining FW requires use of the supplied DC power supply.
___

It is a beautiful unit!
rolandvg99

Post by rolandvg99 »

Drivers and manual are now available for download at motu.com
Owns a 828MKIII, 8M AVB and DP7.24 + loads of non-significant stuff.
mattleaf
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mattleaf »

hello

i'm n the market for a new soundcard...

wondering about the draw of the firewire bus

can anyone confirm if this unit can be powered via the new firewire thunderbolt adapter in the retina macbook pro?

regards

matt