Can I route external audio INTO Kontakt DIRECTLY

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I route external audio INTO Kontakt DIRECTLY

Post by toodamnhip »

This forum is always great for a little help. I have looked online for this everywhere and cannot find it.
I wish to use Kontakt 5’s convolution reverb on a vocal track in DP.
Therefore, i would like to somehow route either directly or through an aux send, audio DIRECTLY INTO kontakt, and thereafter use it’s convolution reverb as a reverb for the vocal.
Cool idea eh? Impossible?

I already know I can load the whole vocal into Kontakt as an audio file and trigger it. But this means I would have to always run the tune through from start to finish. Impossible to mix that way.
So, I need to find a way to get external audio into kontakt in realtime, directly.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Prime Mover

Re: Can I route external audio INTO Kontakt DIRECTLY

Post by Prime Mover »

Not sure, but another idea: why don't you just dig around and find the Kontakt IR in question, and plug it into ProVerb? The one nice thing about convolution reverbs, as apposed to synthetic delayline reverbs, is that it's possible to share the spacial design between different plugins. Altiverb's aren't compatible, I know, as are EWQLs but I was under the impression that most of the others just use WAV and AIFF files, I know ProVerb does, anyway.

I've never tried, because I've never been too impressed by Kontakt's reverbs... then again, I only have vers 4, maybe they've updated the reverb for K5.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Prime Mover wrote:Not sure, but another idea: why don't you just dig around and find the Kontakt IR in question, and plug it into ProVerb? The one nice thing about convolution reverbs, as apposed to synthetic delayline reverbs, is that it's possible to share the spacial design between different plugins. Altiverb's aren't compatible, I know, as are EWQLs but I was under the impression that most of the others just use WAV and AIFF files, I know ProVerb does, anyway.

I've never tried, because I've never been too impressed by Kontakt's reverbs... then again, I only have vers 4, maybe they've updated the reverb for K5.
Well I have new verbs from LA Scoring Strings, and they are pretty sweet. I might try that, though I am skeptical.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Notice that you've got Guitar Rig. There's a convo reverb in Guitar Rig 4, would that be the same reverb that's in Kontakt?

I've been using Space Echo in Guitar Rig on an Aux, works great. Might be one way to access the NI Convo Reverb although you would have to upgrade Guitar Rig to 4 or 5 if you haven't yet.

Just a thought.....
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

If you select the Guitar Rig FX plug, you have access to the Reflektor convo reverb. You can include the Kontakt IRs from the NI Application support folder, but not all of them translate - specifically the first three groups of presets - Digital Reverbs and Real Plates are in this group. Not sure why and I haven't tried moving stuff around to see if it changes anything, but those two are the ones I'm after.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

OK - looked further into it and Guitar Rig and Kontakt use different file IR formats for the convolution reverb (grir vs. .nk* plus patch files). The reason some of the Kontakt IRs work in Guitar Rig is that they are just WAV files. Don't have any clue as to how they determined which are protected/proprietary and which aren't, but the Digital and Real Plates are protected (and from what I can gather are in what NI calls a monolith file). So unfortunately no Lexicon or EMT stuff outside of Kontakt.

Anyway, I can understand why they would want to protect the IRs, but would have hoped that they'd have better compatibility between their own products.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Hmm - any reason not to use DP's ProVerb, on an aux track, and buss sends
from your audio tracks to that?

The reason I ask this is that I have done quite a bit of comparisons with
Kontakt's convo reverb and Pro Verb and...seriously, they're about the
same quality, with Pro Verb having a slight edge, IMO.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, especially with some custom IRs like the SampleCity Bricasti M7 set, it's hard to imagine that Kontakt Konvolution (see what I did there?) will outperform Proverb. For instance, I love Alicia's Keys as a piano VI, but its reverb is pretty mediocre, and that's Scarbee. Even with a good IR, the units themselves give the user very little control.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

David Polich wrote:Hmm - any reason not to use DP's ProVerb, on an aux track, and buss sends
from your audio tracks to that?

The reason I ask this is that I have done quite a bit of comparisons with
Kontakt's convo reverb and Pro Verb and...seriously, they're about the
same quality, with Pro Verb having a slight edge, IMO.
I have many expansion libraries with their own proprietary reverbs such as LA scoring strings. Thus, I want access to all the reverbs available inside Kontakt.
I do use proverb but I am impressed with the convo verbs from libraries like LASS and the sheer amount of options
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13