OMG! I just saw the light! DP's Input Monitor ROCKS!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OMG! I just saw the light! DP's Input Monitor ROCKS!!!

Post by FMiguelez »

I know... for some of you this may be like duuuuh!, and you've always known it.

But I just discovered something that will change my (mixing) game :P

What I used to do (until a few minutes ago):
For my orchestral stuff I use VE Pro 5. The slaves were set in such a way that each instrument was sent to DP separately. I had one Aux track in DP to catch each of these instruments.
Each of these Aux tracks had an EQ plug-in. The idea was that, as I composed, the tracks were affected by the EQ.
After finishing the composition stage, I could refine the EQs and remix (mostly with MIDI CCs).

Once I was happy with the mix, I sent each Aux track to a corresponding Audio track to print it in such a way that, to preserve CPU, the printed tracks (with no plug-ins) sounded exactly the same as what I got with the Aux tracks (with the plugs). IOW, my printed tracks were already EQ'd.

The problem is that I always find things to improve or re-EQ, so if I wanted to change anything I had to reset the I/O assignments and rerecord if I wanted a change. This was tiresome, long, boring and potentially confusing. Also, it made me have tons of bundles just for this purpose. I just thought there had to be a better way. So, while walking in circles around my studio, as I always do when I need to think, I was like... could it be??? Nah! It sounds too good to be true. But maybe... just maybe... So I tried it. The result: I found out something great...

What I discovered (and will do from now on):
I don't need to do all that mess!!!!

Instead of using Aux tracks, I can use regular audio tracks with the Input Monitoring enabled (the little speaker). I can have the EQ plugins in the tracks to monitor and mix (at the MIDI stage). When I'm ready to print, I can do it right there, without reassigning anything!

But the BEST part is that when you record on such a track, the plug-ins DO NOT get printed!!! That means that I can change any plug-in setting in the same track, knowing that if I need to rewrite or re-orchestrate or change anything MIDI, since the plug-in is in the same track (as opposed to a different Aux track), it will sound the same whether I am listening to the MIDI or to the printed audio!!!!
Having access so easily to the natural (un-EQ'd) sound of each instrument in the printed track is awesome. Like this, I can have the best of both worlds!

I'm so excited that I'm not sure I'm making any sense :roll:

Amazingly, I remember I got annoyed and forgot about audio tracks with Input Monitoring long ago precisely for that very reason (plug-in effects not being printed in the track). At that time I must've wanted to do something else... but now this is a game changer for me :D

So right now I'm reassigning my whole new project to be setup like this. Oh, and my templates too.

I hope someone finds this helpful (if I made myself understood).

Did I mention I am SO HAPPY about this?!?!?!?

DP NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME. :woohoo:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Re: OMG! I just saw the light! DP's Input Monitor ROCKS!!!

Post by Dan Worley »

You made yourself very clear. I'm glad it all clicked into place for you. :headbang:
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes! Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm, Dan.

How could I not know about this until now?!!? :roll:

I just finished copying every Aux track's automation and plug-ins to these audio tracks. It was easily done in a couple of minutes. I deleted those Aux tracks and all the redundant bundles from the previous old workflow too. Now this project sounds the same as before, but with this much better work flow. If I go back to MIDI it sounds exactly the same as if I go to the printed tracks. Now I can change anything so easily, and, best of all, I don't have to commit at all... :mrgreen:
It really works like a charm. It is making things soooooooooo much easier and faster.

I am so happy that I'm actually annoyed I didn't think of this before :lol:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed May 09, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yea! Sounds like a winner.

Ya know, I've thought of this from time to time, but since I tend to use separate VI instances for every instrument group (PLAY and Kontakt here), I never end up using the extended outputs on VIs. HOWEVER... I really should do this for the master track. I've gotten away from using an actual Master track, and started to use an aux track named "Master" instead (more versatile). Then when I want to bounce, I create an audio track and bus to it from the master (with another bus). But really, this is kind of silly, I could simply use an audio track with the input monitor enabled, like you said, and save myself a bus pair. Unfortunately, for listening purposes, I tend to throw on some "dirty mastering" plugins on my master, and that wouldn't catch those, so I'd want to do a final bounce afterwards.

One question about input monitoring. If you have a track input enabled, does it respond to muting and soloing the same way it would normally? Or does the input monitor act as the soul enabling button? I forget. That might be kind of a pain to deal with.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

One issue with using audio tracks for VIs hosted inside DP (as opposed to the OP, outside via VE) is that in order use the input monitor button, you have to set the monitoring to 'through plugins' rather than 'through hardware'. If you monitor through hardware and are still tracking, the switch to through plugs may introduce some unwanted latencies. If you're already using through plugs then no issue.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

For what it's worth, my mix setup uses multiple aux channels for each element of the mix. Drums, bass, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, pianos, keys (multiples), strings, B vocals, Lead Vocals (all depends on the genre!) all get bussed to their own Aux channels. These can then have their own plugins and level automation.

These are in turn bussed to individual Audio tracks, set to unity and are left on input.

These are then sent to a mix Aux buss, which may, or may not, have overall EQ, compression, limiting or summing plugins (and can include a fade-out if needed). This is then bussed to a Master Final Mix Audio channel.

This way I can record the final mix, or record all individual stems in one go.

I also used this method for a film soundtrack I did recently. All the dialogue, foley, effects, music etc. surround tracks were set up in a similar way.

Having recorded all the elements in this way, any small adjustments can be recorded locally, without having to record the entire project again. All that is needed is to update the final mix or individual stems by merging. Want to lift that one moment on the main vocal or dialogue track? Drop it into the main mix, then merge. Sorted!!

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote: How could I not know about this until now?!!? :roll:
It's something I have to keep reminding myself of. I forget because you have to monitor through DP to get this to work, or have all the audio tracks record enabled all the time, so I stop using it and forget it's there.

You could do both aux and audio by putting auxes in racks with outputs to the audio and sends set to unity going to the main outputs. Then record enable the audio whenever you're ready.

The signal routing possibilities in DP seem endless. I wish they would publish a block diagram to help us explore it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Thanks for posting this FMiguelez!
This is why I love this forum; sharing tricks and tips. You learn something new everyday, especially with DP!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Poop…
..lol…I should thought of that..thanks man..
Nicely explained
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Prime Mover wrote: One question about input monitoring. If you have a track input enabled, does it respond to muting and soloing the same way it would normally? Or does the input monitor act as the soul enabling button? I forget. That might be kind of a pain to deal with.
I haven't noticed anything different about them.
But I have been using the mute buttons from the MIDI tracks, so I'm not sure.

What I can tell you, with my very short experience with input-monitor tracks, is that after I print the tracks I must disengage the monitoring, otherwise I get no sound (only whatever the MIDI feeds it).
I haven't noticed anything different for the solo or mute buttons.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat May 12, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

kwiz wrote:Thanks for posting this FMiguelez!
This is why I love this forum; sharing tricks and tips. You learn something new everyday, especially with DP!
sdfalk wrote:Poop…
..lol…I should thought of that..thanks man..
Nicely explained
Glad you found it useful! :)