Random level playback in DP6.03/10.6.8 - impossible to mix.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Mr. Quimper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Mr. Quimper »

I'm expecting to hear a lot of "UPGRADE!" advice, but I can't afford it right now. For better or worse, I'm stuck with 6.03 and 10.6.8.

Now, the issue I'm having - consistently, mind - is that with each pass of the playhead, I get a completely different playback level response to my level automation data. The different is startling, and whether or not the audio playback will accurately represent my data points is really hit or miss. I thought this might be an issue with a specific plug-in, so I've tried running sessions without any insert effects whatsoever, and I get the same result: it appears to simply be a bug/something to do with the 6.03/10.6.8 combo concerning the reading of volume automation data and its control of the mixer faders and subsequent audio output (and it's not any one session either - it's all of them). So, in effect, I'm completely unable to trust the accurate correlation of output levels to volume automation data, which makes it effectively useless to me for mixing. It's very frustrating. At the conclusion of a project, I just have to bounce everything out and review it after the fact and hope for the best.

Here is a video documenting the effect:

DPprob.mov

Anyone else experience this?
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP 6 was a dog on my system. If you can't upgrade then you might consider dropping back to DP 5 if possible.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: Random level playback in DP6.03/10.6.8 - impossible to m

Post by mikehalloran »

Try starting from the beginning, latch the channel to record automation and ride your volume to the end. Uncheck the Record. You may have to do this for each channel.

I never liked DP 6. I went back to 5.13 and recently upgraded to DP 7. If you order 7 now, not only are you again eligible for tech support but you get 8 at no charge when it ships. Not bad for $195 plus a bit for shipping.

BTW, DP 6.03 works in Lion. I tested it even though I don't use it.
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dpg4macman

Re: Random level playback in DP6.03/10.6.8 - impossible to m

Post by dpg4macman »

I remember experiencing this one time and I ended up by-passing the automation because it. Haven't had any issues since ( using DP 6.0.3 + os 10.6.8 ) I can't remember exactly what I did as a work around but remember it was a major inconvenience at the time and had me scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck was wrong or what I was doing to cause the problem.

I believe it may have been related to a 3rd party plugin. I went through and cleaned out (disabled) the plugs I never use and thinking I may have been running one in the session I was having the issue in (can't really remember - been a while ago) I can only say after cleaning up the plugins I haven't had any issue since

My thoughts - Best of luck,

mvh