Anyone Use the Mackie MCU Pro?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
primeevolutionary
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone Use the Mackie MCU Pro?

Post by primeevolutionary »

I’m excited for you. Every day I think about how much I love my MCU and XTs. So many people are moving to touchscreen, but, to me, having physical controllers let’s you keep your eyes from getting in your way.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

How do you find the MCU/DP responsiveness? I have an MCU Pro, an X-Touch, and several Maschines with MCU mappings, and none of them work well with DP. They all have very laggy response, missed button presses, and the lights especially can take up to a second to sync up. Not the "hardware" experience I expect and get with these same controllers and other DAWs.

I've begrudgingly given up on this for the moment, but it's a shame because the MCU mapping is extensive.
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

I'm not experiencing that at all. Every now and then, I might have to hit the Control Surface Setup and okay it again, or, restart DP, but, not that often.

Mine are the MCU Pro and ProXTs. Firmware v4.0.3.

Using DP 9.51 and OS X 10.11.6

The only other thing that might seem laggy is, some parameters may require two clicks for every one action, but, I think that's more the way the software is written than the controller. Not all plugins react the same way.

The only problem I have that appeared around DP 9.12 is this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62508

But, it's not a huge deal and more likely a DP issue.

I just ran it through a few quick tests and it's pretty instantaneous.

Also, I'm on a pretty old computer and not really having a speed issue.
Last edited by primeevolutionary on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
darrell

Post by darrell »

I was always pretty happy with my mcu (grey face....old), but it seemed as long i was using MCU, things we be okay, but when I went to click on DP interface with the mouse, MCU lost its brain somewhat.

I've gone with the Raven Mti(?). I just don't know. I'm a sucker for that kind of s*it, but as usual, I'm not seeing the serious support from Slate (and others!) that they give the big boys, like PTools. my 2¢.
waxman

Post by waxman »

darrell wrote:I was always pretty happy with my mcu (grey face....old), but it seemed as long i was using MCU, things we be okay, but when I went to click on DP interface with the mouse, MCU lost its brain somewhat.

I've gone with the Raven Mti(?). I just don't know. I'm a sucker for that kind of s*it, but as usual, I'm not seeing the serious support from Slate (and others!) that they give the big boys, like PTools. my 2¢.
Keep asking Slate for changes... I would love to see a skinny floating mixer that lines up with the dp mixer so channels are the same size. Probably would not the large Raven mixer in that case. The main difference is Raven on DP does not use a template which I prefer. That takes advantage of the dynamic custom features of DP's gui.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
darrell

Post by darrell »

Thanks WM!
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Dwetmaster wrote:
primeevolutionary wrote:Another old thread, but, I just can't seem to find this anywhere.

Thank you, Dwetmaster, regarding the option+rec combo. I had a work around, but, that will certainly be a timesaver.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is a combination or setting to control channel send pans.

If I hit the Send button and then Mode, I get a Pan option on the Master controller, but, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there a way to control send pans on the MCU?
Yes there is:
1- Hit the button labeled I/O "on top of the "PAN" button"
2- You're now given a choice of options on your LCD, push the V-Pot that's under SndPan
3- The V-Pots are now linked to "Send Pan"

I Once made an Excel Sheet with all the Mackie Commands. Maybe I could ask James to "Sticky" it somewhere on the board.
I would be interested in seeing that spread sheet with with those mackie commands .
My mcu pro and expander are still going strong and serves most of my needs with DP, but I'm sure there quite a few key controls that I'm not taking advantage of .
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.