DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Arceo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Post by Arceo »

It seems like at VSL are certain that the problems with ADC are on DP side and they are trying to give a workaround with the new plugin update:
There is nothing we can do about this unfortunately. DP simply refuses to update the latency of instrument AU's, even though we report the changes properly. MOTU has to implement latency compensation for instrument AU's in DP for this to work as it currently only seems to compensate for effect plugins. I've put a latency display (in samples and ms) on the VE Pro plugin's editor for the next update though, so compensating manually will at least be easier to accomplish until MOTU fixes this.
Karel Bassez
Software Engineer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
I deeply hope that DP8 will address this issue, so that we don't have to do the math each time we change the buffer! :D
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

I can't help but be a little suspicious of VSL's stance on this. If this it totally DP's fault then how come no other plugins have problems with this? How come PTools has problems as well? It kind of sounds to me like their plugin does something very unique and they're blaming DP for not being compatible.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Agent of Random wrote:I can't help but be a little suspicious of VSL's stance on this. If this it totally DP's fault then how come no other plugins have problems with this? How come PTools has problems as well? It kind of sounds to me like their plugin does something very unique and they're blaming DP for not being compatible.
An excellent observation..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I am glad I didn't update to VE Pro version 5. I'm running 4 and it is working well. I will hold off until DP and VSL can get together and fix it. If DP8 addresses it, I'll get both. :) Still, I think it is pretty lame for them to pass the blame on DP. They are responsible to make sure that these issues are addressed before releasing the product.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

cowtothesky wrote:They are responsible to make sure that these issues are addressed before releasing the product.
Especially after advertising that it delay compensation worked with DP.

BTW Cowtothesky, VEP 4 doesnt work with delay compensation either.

And other than the latency issue VEP5 is super nice.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Yea, I have been meaning to get version 5. But, I never upgrade mid-project. I guess I thought you meant something else. For what I am doing, version 4 works great. But, other than running gobs of vi's, I don't push it too hard. Hope they get it worked out for you and I will be getting version 5, probably when DP8 comes out. I'll just do a massive upgrade at that time, including Lion.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Good news!!!
I was just informed that MOTU has fixed the issue with variable latency VI's for DP8.
--
Martin Saleteg
Software Developer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH
Super cool!!!
Now if anyone from MOTU would/could confirm this... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
labman

Post by labman »

Got an email from my VSL tech saying the same thing. And the new VEPro version is out today that has the readout of the amount of samples needing compensated for.

Hey MAGIC, is this true about DP8???
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

So using the handy TimeShift plug on my MIDI channels (all 160) seems to hold the line for now.

Is there a way to globally change the number of samples on every TimeShift plug on every MIDI track at once?
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

malditoyanki wrote:Is there a way to globally change the number of samples on every TimeShift plug on every MIDI track at once?
Nope!
unfortunately you have to change them one at a time until... DP8 gets shipped!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And that is if what Martin Saleteg wrote about DP8 is true, since there has been no official word from MOTU on this regard, so I must assume that is not confirmed so far. :mumble:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Arceo wrote:And that is if what Martin Saleteg wrote about DP8 is true, since there has been no official word from MOTU on this regard, so I must assume that is not confirmed so far. :mumble:
Ummm... I don't mean to quibble... but don't you think it would be weird for a developer to LIE about something like that? I mean, what would they possibly have to gain? :shock:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:
Arceo wrote:And that is if what Martin Saleteg wrote about DP8 is true, since there has been no official word from MOTU on this regard, so I must assume that is not confirmed so far. :mumble:
Ummm... I don't mean to quibble... but don't you think it would be weird for a developer to LIE about something like that? I mean, what would they possibly have to gain? :shock:
Yep, that's what I thought when I read this..

I've been working with VE Pro for some time now, and I have observed the Vienna guys taking DP quite seriously. I would be more inclined to believe that they thought this was a serious problem, and did everything they could to rectify it on their end. I also believe MOTU takes it very seriously, and came to some kind of solution that will fix it.

This stuff is complicated, and these two developers obviously recognize the importance of working together to resolve issues for their customers. Bravo MOTU and Vienna, I'm glad to be using both of your products!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Much ado about nothing! :D

Well, guys, since I've been quoted two times in a row there are some things I'd like to point out on this issue.

First, I'm a loooong time Performer user (yes, Performer 4.1 did't have the "Digital" suffix! :mrgreen: ) and, along the years, I got to know and appreciate MOTU and its reliability.
I mostly do orchestral works, so I 'm an early adopter of PC farms. That's why I felt blessed when VSL shipped VEPRO. I use this program since day 0 and I'm utterly satisfied with it and with VSL way of improving it with continuous upgrades.

Having said that I must add that it has to be the language barrier that often makes me write things in a clumsy manner, but I only wanted to point out that (since I'm not used to be told new features of Digital Performer from a VSL engineer) I was expecting some sort of communication from MOTU on this regard.

So James, this time it's me that I don't mean to quibble ( :mrgreen: ) but don't you think that, since I (1) opened a Tech Link and (after quoting Martin statement) I (2) publicly requested here an official word from MOTU it's unusual to be answered from another software house's engineer?

Anyway let me say again “much ado about nothing”: as I already wrote I'm deeply in love with DP (which I rely on for my living) since a long time ago and I couldn't be happier to run it along with VEPRO. The two apps together let my daily work flow be smooth and productive.

DP8 is expected in a matter of days, so when I will get rid of the dozens of shift plugins I'll be even happier to work with these apps!

Cheers to the all Motunation!!!
Arceo
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Arceo wrote:So James, this time it's me that I don't mean to quibble ( :mrgreen: ) but don't you think that, since I (1) opened a Tech Link and (after quoting Martin statement) I (2) publicly requested here an official word from MOTU it's unusual to be answered from another software house's engineer?
I think that the answer he gave you should be taken at face value. He wouldn't use his name and go on the record as saying MOTU fixed it if it weren't so. And secondly, you can publicly request anything you want from MOTU here, but that's no guarantee. This isn't an official board and they don't have time go go around reading every post. But I just feel that if this Martin fellow said he spoke with MOTU's engineers and they told him it's fixed in DP8, I would think that's all I'd need to know.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Ok then, we agree to disagree... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I gotta stop whining and make some serious music!!! :D