DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Post by labman »

Hi cbergm7210

I just got the exact same note on my tech link.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cbergm7210 »

labman wrote:Hi cbergm7210

I just got the exact same note on my tech link.
A little copy and paste to all of us Motunation guys, eh?

And please, call me Shirley. I mean, ah, Chris. :)
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

FYI copy and paste for me too on my tech link! :D
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

cbergm7210 wrote:Reply from MOTU today:

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the report. We have received numerous reports of this, and as such we will of course be looking into this quite seriously. I will keep this tech link open and let you know when we have updates.

Cheers,
Lorne

At least they acknowledge.
It's OK, looks like they're on it, that's the important thing. :)
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

:D
Something tells me this will be corrected in DP8.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Marc7777

Post by Marc7777 »

FMiguelez wrote:Something tells me this will be corrected in DP8.
I hope not!!! I hope there's a DP7.25 update!! I'm very wary of going to DP 8 immediately when it comes out. I've learned my lesson when I went to DP 6 (Nightmares!!!)

Although, it seems that a temporary "workaround" is to set the Plug in Buffer setting to ZERO.

You can set that by, Inserting the instrument track --> VE PRO Plug in --> Go to where you'd connect to an instance, and you'll see a buffer pull down menu.

According to VSL over on their forum, it also shouldn't have too much affect on your CPU.

He went into some detail, but my mind exploded as I was reading it. :lol:

So for now.. maybe this is a workable solution..

I'll test this when I'm at my studio later today..

Anyone else test this possible workaround?

~Marc
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
mhurwitz

Post by mhurwitz »

Yeah it works OK. Of course it precludes the use of larger projects with many FX. For me, the whole point of having a slave was so that I could stay in the MIDI world as long as possible. I don't fancy having to go back to freezing tracks one at a time... otherwise I'd do everything on one machine.
doodles

Post by doodles »

the buffer zero thing's just not feasible. I've got 18 instances of VE Pro in DP connected to a slave, which is bad enough, but with buffer zero, smoke starts appearing from the computer :lol:
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

doodles wrote:the buffer zero thing's just not feasible. I've got 18 instances of VE Pro in DP connected to a slave, which is bad enough, but with buffer zero, smoke starts appearing from the computer :lol:
Why 18 separate instances? Why not just one with ALL your VI's in one project window? Maybe it doesn't make much difference in the end anyhow...
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
doodles

Post by doodles »

by malditoyanki » 09 Mar 2012 07:34 pm

doodles wrote:
the buffer zero thing's just not feasible. I've got 18 instances of VE Pro in DP connected to a slave, which is bad enough, but with buffer zero, smoke starts appearing from the computer

Why 18 separate instances? Why not just one with ALL your VI's in one project window? Maybe it doesn't make much difference in the end anyhow...
Well, I'm in VE Pro 4, not 5 (as need the ability to bounce them separately for tracklaying speed, which the new event function in VE Pro 5 doesn't have). You can only have a maximum of 16 MIDI channels per instance. Template has about 250 MIDI channels in it, so need that many instances.

And unfortunately it DOES make a big difference in the end, as having to wait for 18 instances to connect on each project's startup, as opposed to just one instance, is a huge time waster. Add to that the fact that 18 instances starts seriously clogging up DP's processing power, and it's not an ideal situation.

VE Pro is awesome, but things like this stop it from being perfect...
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Arceo wrote:FYI copy and paste for me too on my tech link! :D
Of course it's a copy and paste! It's the same issue. I'd do the same thing.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Marc7777 wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Something tells me this will be corrected in DP8.
I hope not!!! I hope there's a DP7.25 update!! I'm very wary of going to DP 8 immediately when it comes out. I've learned my lesson when I went to DP 6 (Nightmares!!!)

I don't think there will be another DP6 experience for a while. That was only partly MOTU's fault. I was using DP6 with Leopard. When Snow Leopard came out, it was like upgrading Digital Performer in the same instant. DP6 ran GREAT in Snow Leopard, but as we know, DP7 followed, and it was the greatest dot-zero release in DP's history. Also, DP6 was a major, major departure from the past. We left behind an old piece of software when we jumped to DP6. Anyway, that's behind us now, and you needn't worry about that kind of a leap again for a long, long time.

Shooshie

PS: Is it feeling cold in here? What's that wind blowing through here? Is that the wind of CHANGE??? :shock:

Nah, really, I think you're safe.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

doodles wrote: Well, I'm in VE Pro 4, not 5 (as need the ability to bounce them separately for tracklaying speed, which the new event function in VE Pro 5 doesn't have). You can only have a maximum of 16 MIDI channels per instance. Template has about 250 MIDI channels in it, so need that many instances.

And unfortunately it DOES make a big difference in the end, as having to wait for 18 instances to connect on each project's startup, as opposed to just one instance, is a huge time waster. Add to that the fact that 18 instances starts seriously clogging up DP's processing power, and it's not an ideal situation.

VE Pro is awesome, but things like this stop it from being perfect...
I have since moved to VEP 5, but as I did with many instances of VEP4 I have BEACHBALL issues. The beachball will periodically appear for 10 seconds at a time. It seems to be at random, though it seems to be at least partially related to autosave (whether VEP's or DP's). I don't believe it's a track count thing, but a DP/VEP thing. Have you ever experienced anything similar?
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:I don't think there will be another DP6 experience for a while. That was only partly MOTU's fault. I was using DP6 with Leopard. When Snow Leopard came out, it was like upgrading Digital Performer in the same instant. DP6 ran GREAT in Snow Leopard, but as we know, DP7 followed, and it was the greatest dot-zero release in DP's history. Also, DP6 was a major, major departure from the past. We left behind an old piece of software when we jumped to DP6. Anyway, that's behind us now, and you needn't worry about that kind of a leap again for a long, long time.
I agree, Shoosh! Granted DP 6.0 was pretty rough and certainly the initial WHITE GUI scared people too. In fact, it pretty much forced some backpedaling at MOTU when users everywhere hated the new GUI so much that they started hacking it to make it more palatable. MOTU turned this around in their favor by introducing "Themes" and once again things were happy in Unicorn land.

DP 6 was a misstep, but as you said, it got sorted out pretty well. Problem is now, as illustrated by marc's post, the damage was done by the sort of hyperbole and well... not quite hysteria (but close)... surrounding the problems with early versions of DP6. People who NEVER tried it started repeating things they "heard" and the detractors of DP gleefully repeated some of these rumors. The damage had been done. Perception is more important often then reality. Yeah... I was using DP 6.03 or whatever the last version was without incident on my G5 and doing fine with it.

I think DP6 was part of some necessary growing pains. DP 7.24 is one of the best versions I can remember, including the much vaunted 5.13 (which deserves the accolades... great version that was!). I really thing DP8 is going to be a great version and also happy to see them support video natively within the app and not use QuickTime, etc. Also being 100% Cocoa should really clean up graphics/UI issues and probably a lot of those "white plug-in" reports that we've seen sometimes, especially a while back.

Very much looking forward to DP8!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman

Post by labman »

AS for moi', I will be very happy with the new proposed DP 8 video protocols. And when they fix this VEPro delay comp issue, then I might be good to go for life. :wink:

Wonder if Handel ever said such a thing. "If I can get me some number 2 lead pencils, I will be set for life!"
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.