DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Arceo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Post by Arceo »

Sorry to report it, but I've been confirmed by Martin Saleteg (Software Developer of Vienna Symphonic Library) that:

I can confirm that DP does not latency compensate properly. The audiounit does however report the latency changes properly, and all other hosts with ADC pickup on this and adjust the latency accordingly. It might be an issue with DP only expecting a static latency for the plugin - not considering any changes in the latency value during runtime. This is necessary for VEPro, since the latency depends on (a) soundcard buffer size, (b) VEPro numbuffers setting.

This is the topic at the VSL forum where you find the info.
I must admit that I'm quite baffled that such an important feature (which has been a selling point for me) has not been tested by the VSL beta testers with DP.
I mean, only after VEPRO5 has been commercialized it turned out that DP "Bounce to Disk" feature doesn't work with their new "Event plugin" (which is a clever workaround to circumvent the 16 MIDI channels limit of AU's specs). And they apologized for not including this info in the manual. Now it turns out that DP VEPRO tracks aren't properly latency compensated: it looks like DP at VSL is not exactly popular...

This would be the perfect moment for Magic Dave to chime in and help us with the technical implication of Martin statement.

Cheers
Arceo
Marc7777

Re: DP/VEPRO - VSL confirms ADC doesn't work properly! :(

Post by Marc7777 »

Ah HA! So i'm NOT losing my mind!!! pheeww..

When you do those tests that you speak of, with the kick drum, are they WAY off??

I'm asking because when I have a buffer of 256 in DP and a VEP "Plugin buffer" at 2, it's not That bad..

As in maybe like 20 samples or so off.. noticeable if it's a sharp percussion, but hardly noticeable with any other instrument..

And if I put the plugin buffer down to 0, it's really really close.

I was thinking that the samples themselves might not be exactly on the grid.. again, i'm talking 5-20 samples..

PS - i didn't like reading that it's a DP problem.. that means it'll never get fixed.. :(

What do you think!

~Marc
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
doodles

Post by doodles »

That's a nightmare. If this is the 2nd (or 3rd?) problem with the new VE Pro (which I haven't downloaded yet) and DP, that doesn't make for good reading.

I hate it when people blame DP. Sure, it might be something unique to DP, but if there are now 2 or 3 problems with VE Pro and DP, I'm not sure they should advertise it as playing nicely with DP.

The Event/bounce to disk problem is a deal breaker for me.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
mhurwitz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mhurwitz »

Yes, I can confirm that VEP 5 does not work for me in DP. Not only does it not latency compensate, it is more sluggish in performance.
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

As I suspected , unfortunately, this is an issue with VEPRO4 and VEPRO5. It's been confirmed once again by Martin:
Latency compensation also doesn't work with VEP4 in DP. As I wrote earlier, it looks to be a DP issue

Seems like the right time for MOTU and VSL software teams to get in contact and try to sort this out...

Anyway, since Martin wrote (three times in a row!) that this is a DP issue I'd like to hear a MOTU official word about it, so I'm going to mail them all these info and see what they have got to say. I'll keep you updated...
Last edited by Arceo on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhurwitz

Post by mhurwitz »

The engineers at VSL are now saying that ALL versions of VEP dobn't latency compensate in DP. Can anyone confirm this? I don't recall having this problem with VEP 4. This is terrible news because it makes my slave PC pretty much useless.
mhurwitz

Post by mhurwitz »

I also just emailed MOTU tech support. This is horrible.
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

MOTU TechLink posted!
Now I can start tapping my foot on the floor!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I too, have posted a tech link. Thank you for the work in confirming this.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
labman

Post by labman »

We have also posted to motu techlink ...

"Hi Folks, There is a dreadful problem with DP not working with Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or 5 with the delay compensation. Can you please look into it and work with them Vienna asap to get it resolved? With all the great new video features you are about to release with DP8 it is an absolute must for all us film folks to have the link between DP and VEPro fixed. Delay compensation with VPro is working fine on some of the other platforms."
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

Wow...bummer. I actually hadn't noticed any issues, but I have my buffer set to "0" in the VEpro plug. I set DP to 512. Maybe my brain latency is equal to that. :shock:
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
labman

Post by labman »

malditoyanki wrote:Wow...bummer. I actually hadn't noticed any issues, but I have my buffer set to "0" in the VEpro plug. I set DP to 512. Maybe my brain latency is equal to that. :shock:
Hah. Brain Latency. We need a 'neuron time shift plug'. :woohoo:

Buffer at "0" is one possible workaround. But that will bring our host DP CPU to its knees with all the slaves and instantiations we need.

Do you get glitches using "0"? How many trks? Instantiations?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

labman wrote:
malditoyanki wrote:Wow...bummer. I actually hadn't noticed any issues, but I have my buffer set to "0" in the VEpro plug. I set DP to 512. Maybe my brain latency is equal to that. :shock:
Hah. Brain Latency. We need a 'neuron time shift plug'. :woohoo:

Buffer at "0" is one possible workaround. But that will bring our host DP CPU to its knees with all the slaves and instantiations we need.

Do you get glitches using "0"? How many trks? Instantiations?
Can someone point me to where the VEP buffer setting is located? I cannot find it.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
labman

Post by labman »

VEP buffer is called 'latency' directly inside their plug. You pull it down to the desired number. The number you select is multiplied times DP's buffer. If you pull down '2' that will be an add'l 2x DPs buffer for it to make its roundtrip.
mhurwitz

Post by mhurwitz »

I'd just like to add that it does not work in Protools 9+ either... though I think it's being chalked up to some sort of "MIDI playback latency bug" in Protools that people have known about for years.

I see people running all kinds of sophisticated tests for this... there is a very simple test you can do:

- Program quarter note snare hits that are quantized perfectly to the quarter note and send it to your VEP server.
- Record the audio that comes back into the computer.
- Compare the waveform with the MIDI note.

You will easily see how far off the recorded audio is from the MIDI note.