digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Post by bayswater »

Looks like Mr. Gun is under the impression that this is a MOTU support board.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Looks like Mr. Gun is under the impression that this is a MOTU support board.
I don't know, but I can already tell that once the Windows users descend on us, it may get ugly around here. I was content to hide this board from Google for the longest time and it seems we get people with low post counts who are rude because they're not aware that there's a low tolerance for obnoxiousness around here. It's allowed on other boards, but not here.

I'd rather live with my reputation for being a jerk over at GS, then let this board get ruined by people who interact with others like this. I can tell I'll likely need to kick a few people off in the coming months.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What Bren Gun doesn't realize is that we who use DP tend to prefer it no matter what features other DAWs have. It's a "total package" effect. I never get the feeling that DP is not giving me enough power to do what I need to do. In fact, I sometimes can't believe that it's real; music making, recording, and editing was never this easy.

You don't reduce things to a particular feature set and then say "oh, it doesn't work like Cubase, so it's no good." That's ignorant -- borderline stupid -- and gets you nowhere. Instead, you learn to use the tools at hand. DP has been leading the pack longer than most of these software packages have been in existence, in fact, longer than many of their developers have been alive. MOTU is a lot like Apple: often it's not the first to adopt a feature set, but when it does, it tends to own it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

LOL. James, your reputation at GS is beyond redemption !! You're stuck with us.

Ugly is how it was at the Cubase list. A lot of members, particularly on the Windows section, felt free to heap abuse on the volunteer moderators, Steinberg employees, and each other.

Thanks for the safe haven.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

It may be necessary to develop a completely different board for Windows users since they represent such an onslaught of unpredictable awfulness.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

amplidood wrote:It may be necessary to develop a completely different board for Windows users since they represent such an onslaught of unpredictable awfulness.
I hope not. We already have members who are mainly Windows users, although not DP users, and their contribution is worthwhile.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

amplidood wrote:It may be necessary to develop a completely different board for Windows users since they represent such an onslaught of unpredictable awfulness.
Yeah... I have a lot on my plate and this board is in need of an overhaul, but as you all know, this isn't my focus in life. I'm just like you guys-- wanting to make my music and enjoy life, etc.

I'm really not sure what to do about the impending influx of Windows users. On one hand, I could undertake a restructuring of the board and reorganize the forums to segregate the users. The fact that the apps are identical except for the OS means though, that much of what is in the Mac DP forum will apply to Windows DP.

Another idea was to have some sort of "badge" or designation under the user name as to Windows or Mac as primary OS, so we knew who we were talking to.

And finally, on more extreme idea was for me to make this board Mac only and let someone else create a board catering to Windows users. At some point, MOTU might want to create their own forum or not. Whatever they decide to do is okay.

Any way... these are things that loom ever closer on the horizon, but I crossed the threshold a long time ago that I didn't care what was said about me, but I won't put up with rudeness here. I'm not trying to sell tons of ads and make this a cash cow, so this place is like a restaurant where I can and will refuse service to whomever I wish. In fact, I used the analogy once of this place being a friendly neighborhood pub. We have our regulars, but anyone is welcome to come on in and have a nice time. But loudmouths and rude people will be asked to tone it down, or get "bounced." I'd rather have this place be pleasant for fewer people, than awful for a lot of people.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Perfect analogy James, the pub thing. You do what you gotta do, we'll back you up.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Problem is, it's not really a question of "Windows" vs "Mac", it's a question of jerkoffs vs viable members. As far as I can see, MOTU is going to make the Windows version of DP8 exactly the same as the Mac version. That means that the DP-specific questions and commentary can be largely shared. We'll have a lot to be able to teach them, and someday soon, some of them will have insightful things to teach us.

But that still leaves the jerkoffs, of both Mac and Windows varieties. James, maybe it would be necessary to move the "off topic" forum towards the top of the list, and make it an "unmoderated forum". But on the flipside, give this forum an understanding that you will freely delete all and any unwanted posts without question or argument... even more strictly then now. I dunno, maybe just a thought.

I don't want the jerkoffs either, but I don't think that segmenting the Windows users to a different corner of the forum is going to do anything more than fan the flames of an all-out OS war. Don't think MOTUs going to be too responsive to that, doesn't do anyone any good.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ha! Prime Mover, I just noticed your signature line" "All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio." I think I'm going to adopt that philosophy, since I basically already live by it. Of course, I have limits; I guess it always comes back to what each of us consider "fair."

As for the subject at hand regarding Windows users, I'm going to try to be as platform agnostic as possible. My kids have always used Windows, though they prefer their Macs, and they're pretty computer-intensive in all that they do. My son, a programmer, has shown me many virtues found in Windows, and though he always makes clear that he prefers the Mac, sometimes the Windows solution is the more viable one. So, I don't think I have a bias there beyond my own personal preferences.

It's not the platform that will bring nasty attitudes here, it's just the nature of creative arts and the apps that support them. The DP-on-Windows move will simply expose us to about 10 times as many potential users, and that means 10 times as many nasty attitudes when compared to those we've already dealt with. It feels like "everyone," because we don't notice the good guys. They engage us in conversation, get what they need, and never cause any trouble. But the folks with bad attitudes attract our attention. Now we can expect about 10 times as many of those, even if there are also 10 times as many good guys.

Nobody really knows what will happen. I'm just hoping for the best.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

At most Pubs there are bouncers. :brucelee: One or two trusted, level headed friends might relieve a little pressure
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Another idea was to have some sort of "badge" or designation under the user name as to Windows or Mac as primary OS, so we knew who we were talking to.
Perhaps to get started, new users could be encouraged to put their OS versions in a signature. There may be a lot using both.
frankf

Post by frankf »

A question then is how much will us Mac users be able to help the new Windows users if there are windows specific issues or variations between the versions. Especially regarding Windows hardware or setup issues.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well might be good to subdivide troubleshooting into Windows and Mac areas. The "techniques" area could be platform agnostic, although the "optimizing" aspect might have platform specific issues. Food for thought.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

frankf wrote:A question then is how much will us Mac users be able to help the new Windows users if there are windows specific issues or variations between the versions. Especially regarding Windows hardware or setup issues.
Not much, I'm afraid...

I agree with one of James' ideas: To send all Windows users to their own side of the forum, at least for anything that is not 100% DP-related, including the trouble-shooting section, which IS platform-specific.

It just makes little sense (and it's annoying) to see all these new basic Windows questions.
If they get too nasty or rude over there, and James gets tired of it, then he could dump that full side of the forum in a fell swoop without affecting us.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman