digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Post by frankf »

Aren't all posters respectful?
I like the idea of "branding" users' posts with their platform, even if there's a "both" option. It would avoid confusion. Imagine a new user asking a bounce to mp3 question like the recent thread, without specifying a platform.

Frank
DP 8
Mac Pro 3,1 OSX 10.6.8, 24gb RAM
Metric Halo 2882, ULN-2
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

James Steele wrote:Well might be good to subdivide troubleshooting into Windows and Mac areas. The "techniques" area could be platform agnostic
That's what I think you should do.

Also, I think you should make it MUCH clearer that this forum is not run by MOTU. Maybe even replacing the "formerly Unicornation" on the logo with something like "A Privately run unofficial Digital Performer & MOTU user forum."
Make it one of the first thing people see. There's already a lot of people that post here that seem to think its run by MOTU.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

+1 for a separate Windows troubleshooting area. At least from my experience with the Digidesign User Conference for Pro Tools, Windows setups can be so varied that solutions to certain problems on Windows will have zero relevance to Mac users. It ends up saving time if I can go first to the Mac section, and search only there for the answers I seek. If I still don't find the answer, then I might search the Windows area too for ideas I might be able to apply cross-platform.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

FutureLegends wrote:Also, I think you should make it MUCH clearer that this forum is not run by MOTU. Maybe even replacing the "formerly Unicornation" on the logo with something like "A Privately run unofficial Digital Performer & MOTU user forum."
Make it one of the first thing people see. There's already a lot of people that post here that seem to think its run by MOTU.
While something like that is a good idea, there is no question that MOTUNation *IS* the MOTU forum, whether James is an employee or not. They don't have one, and a large reason for that is because MOTUNation is good enough. Anytime I see the word "unofficial," I think "oh, this is just some fans who have no idea what they're talking about." Seeing as that MagicDave posts here regularly, and James has their blessing, I don't think "unofficial" really implies the same thing that it usually does (even if it technically is unofficial). Your basic point is valid, though, that people need to understand that there's no one here who can actually fix bugs or add features. That's the main concern, and a good point to get across. Posting here will not prompt MOTU to make a bug fix, or tell MOTU directly about a new feature idea.

I'm even a bit weary of breaking up the troubleshooting page. Sometimes bugs are program-level problems, but many times they're user error, a poorly documented feature, a sales/activation question, or a higher-level bug that isn't platform dependent. Of the first 10 threads on the troubleshooting board right now, I count 3 that are likely platform dependent.

My biggest concern is that I've found that when troubleshooting areas get divided by OS, it's the Mac users who get shafted. Many times, I end up finding my answers in Windows troubleshooting areas because there's just more content. And these days, the vast majority of troubleshooting is completely platform independent.

How about this, I've seen it several times and I really like it: a "Digital Performer 101" section. What would help the most is to siphon off the really basic new users who have really obvious questions. That way they can be dealt with quickly, and get them out of the way for the more involved stuff that needs careful consideration.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy