WAVES 9 dropping iLOK authorization.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rhythm_kitchen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

What d'ya think?

I was just told WAVES version 9, no more iLOK.

Added. You can park your license(s) to the cloud, internal hard drive, or external drive. Hard drive or thumb drive must have a unique ID (most do).

I did call and it seems even legacy thumb drives work. Just watch dimensions so as to not block ports.

As mentioned further down this thread. No support for waves 9 as of DP 7.24!

The original post was in error. Sorry about that. Oh. There is a feature to force temp activation if your dog ate your thumb drive.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
burp182
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: WAVES 9 dropping iLOK authorization.

Post by burp182 »

This seems odd, as Waves told me at Winter NAMM that iLok or their new computer authorization was a user choice with no costs involved. If you wanted to use iLok - no problem.
Where did you come onto this information? As a Mercury owner, this may have an impact on me and on many others if confirmed as factual.
DP 7.24, Mac 2.8 8 core, 10GB RAM, 2 UAD-2 Quad, a massive pile of plug-ins and 3 slave PCs with VIs. VEP to connect everything.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

(edit) I heard it correctly, I didn't catch my wording which should be: "Transfer of ownership fee". So... my bad.

Sorry WAVES support. Hope you weren't swamped with calls.

Only free if within one year update to version 9 coming any week. Or with upgrade insurance. OH... the generic thumb drive (sandisk etc) must be in during session just like your iLOK. 9 is ONLY non-iLOK, not either or.

This morning direct from Knoxville. Again this week (3-3-12) they haven't confirmed details but assured us that every attempt to make versions backwards compatible. Does this mean AAX and RTAS together? They (in Knoxville) didn't know.

Sorry about wording. Oh you can't have concurrent version 8-iLOK & 9-Thumb Drive plug-ins.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

No need to wait until then. Remember, default WUP lasts a full year, so as long as you bought a plugin before March last year, you'll be good to upgrade to V9 :)

I've bought 4 plugs in the last 3 months, and I'm just itching to use all that no-iLok goodness :)

I don't always have my iLok with me, and I do a lot of editing on my MacBook Pro on the go, so until now, I've seen every waves plugin purcahse as a "half a plugin" (since I can only use it part of the time). No more!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I just got off the phone with Waves and according to the rep I talked to
the OP is incorrect with some of this info.
The $150 fee is for transfer of ownership(license) only.
example: If your selling your Waves plugs.

Yes they are dropping iLok support, users will have the choice of computer auth or if a user needs portability then you can have the auth on a generic USB thumb drive.
To reiterate:
If you are covered by WUP in either case there will be no charge to upgrade to ver.9 and users will have the choice to use either authorization procedure.

Contrary to earlier reports they are indeed dropping iLok ,so users who upgrade to 9 will have to choose which auth method they move forward with.
I also asked about the plugs being 64bit with the version 9 upgrade, the rep stated he didn't have the list of which plugs would be 64bit with the release of 9, so it sounds like the 64 bit transition will be somewhat gradual, not all at once with the 9 update.
I hope this clarifies things a bit.
This is how it has been explained to me.
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I thought v9 would see the end of Waveshells/wrappers and would have thought, if that were right, that all plugs will have been re-coded - seems logical that all would be written as 64 bit. I guess it won't be too long before we find out.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

davedempsey wrote:I thought v9 would see the end of Waveshells/wrappers and would have thought, if that were right, that all plugs will have been re-coded - seems logical that all would be written as 64 bit. I guess it won't be too long before we find out.

I think we can assume with the massive volume of different Waves plugs, they will not have all ported to 64bit with the release of 9.
I think from how it's been explained to me the 9 update will be marking the move of Waves away from ILok and towards 64bit.
They have hundreds of plugs to port to 64bit,we all hoped all of the 64bit porting for the entire line would be completed with the update to 9 but as it was explained to me it will be somewhat gradual.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

One more scarry as hell proposition from a brigeless DP8: only partial Waves support. That would be pretty unthinkable.

MOTU needs to start talking.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Prime Mover wrote:One more scarry as hell proposition from a brigeless DP8: only partial Waves support. That would be pretty unthinkable.

MOTU needs to start talking.

Prime- why do you think this is a MOTU issue?
From my perspective this is more in WAVES hands.
Users like myself are also facing issues with UAD plugs that will not be ported to 64bit until late spring or summer from what I've been told.I'm sure there will be many more as well.
I have only heard of problems & issues of any DAW that utilizes bridging technology,from what I've seen I'd rather wait for 64bit ports for various plugs instead of relying on a 32--->64bit bridge.
IMO this is more of a WAVES or UAD issue not a DP issue.
BobK

Post by BobK »

There's a press release from Waves mentioning something called a 'License Cloud', but it didn't explain what that is.

If it means you can easily switch authorizations between, say, a desktop and laptop via an internet connection without having to jump through too many hoops, that'd be cool...

(Still wish they'd give you two authorizations, like Nomad Factory, Spectrasonics, etc...)
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ten or twelve years ago, I was anti-dongle. When Waves shifted from the Challenge/Response authorization system sometime in the past 10 years, I vehemently objected to forcing us to use a dongle. Now that they're making the dongle optional, I find myself wanting to protest THAT! Not that I don't want the flexibility, I am just hoping that they never faze out the iLok. I've really grown to love that thing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote:Ten or twelve years ago, I was anti-dongle. When Waves shifted from the Challenge/Response authorization system sometime in the past 10 years, I vehemently objected to forcing us to use a dongle. Now that they're making the dongle optional, I find myself wanting to protest THAT! Not that I don't want the flexibility, I am just hoping that they never faze out the iLok. I've really grown to love that thing.

Shooshie
Hey - if I switch away from the iLok, I'll give ya a good deal on my spare - it's still in the original packaging, unopened. :D
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BobK wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Ten or twelve years ago, I was anti-dongle. When Waves shifted from the Challenge/Response authorization system sometime in the past 10 years, I vehemently objected to forcing us to use a dongle. Now that they're making the dongle optional, I find myself wanting to protest THAT! Not that I don't want the flexibility, I am just hoping that they never faze out the iLok. I've really grown to love that thing.

Shooshie
Hey - if I switch away from the iLok, I'll give ya a good deal on my spare - it's still in the original packaging, unopened. :D
No need… I've got a box full of them. When I bought the latest iLok 2 (or whatever it's called), it was able to handle all of the above, and I was able to get all my stuff insured. If it goes out, through Zero Down Time I'll have most of my licenses back up and running in one of my old iLoks within a fairly short time.

By the way, I use a very short USB cable for my dongles when on location. No worries about something hitting and breaking them in the laptop USB port. I think Pace calls them "Dongle Buddies." (… at least that's what SHE said… badaBOOM)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote: By the way, I use a very short USB cable for my dongles when on location. No worries about something hitting and breaking them in the laptop USB port. I think Pace calls them "Dongle Buddies." (… at least that's what SHE said… badaBOOM)
:shake: (that's the closest I could find to a 'groan' smilie!)

Those short cables are great (and other places sell 'em cheaper than Pace).
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Latest Waves release... phase correction plug-in... included in Mercury :) looks interesting:

Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying