OS X Mountain Lion Beta?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OS X Mountain Lion Beta?

Post by bayswater »

Predicting the future of telecom and computing is great fun and very profitable. You start by advising everyone to invest in either centralized computing with a lot of telecom bandwidth, or new processors that create a market for distributed computing. Wait to see what really happens. You can count on getting most it wrong. Then you can sell your clients an analysis on why things didn't happen as predicted.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

I honestly don't see any problems with the scenario that can't be addressed with higher bandwidth internet connections and new compression schemes for audio. PCM is so...1980s...and I'm not one to knock old techs-i mixdown to 1/4'' tape and track to cassette 50%of the time.

Also it's not a fun, somewhat blind prediction here...it's more an extrapolation of what's already happening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/techn ... wanted=all

And mark your calendars, March 7th the iPad gets a quad core processor.
why would i want to skin a cat?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sure it's possible. A lot of things are possible. Most of them never happen.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

stick to the music, you'd make a terrible inspirational speaker. and i don't really understand your other post - i'm not selling anything. just an observer...maybe tone down the condescension a little bro
why would i want to skin a cat?
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Why do I have a feeling that all this future remote storage, app delivery system, high bandwidth internet with only a keyboard and monitor will only work with Logic if you're in the Apple camp (or Apple ecosystem for those with that sensibility)?
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
kgdrum

OS X Mountain Lion Beta?

Post by kgdrum »

OldTimey wrote:stick to the music, you'd make a terrible inspirational speaker. and i don't really understand your other post - i'm not selling anything. just an observer...maybe tone down the condescension a little bro

Timey, I think the relevant part of the discussion has nothing to do with being inspirational.
This is IMO about technology,privacy,security and separating marketing hype from actual implementation.

Predicting the future is always fun but seriously I went to the Worlds Fair when I was 8 years old and they had all types of exhibits about the future technology of tomorrow,most if not all of which looks laughable now.
Nothing personal but some of us don't want to drink all of the iCloud koolaid without knowing what's in the drink.
There's just too many potential pitfalls and problems for me to embrace this stuff blindly.

Make no mistake about it, the people pushing these miraculous advances in technology are not altruistic they see the untapped revenue $treams of storage fees, software revenue etc...laid out in the roadmap they're designing.
Last edited by kgdrum on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

OldTimey wrote:stick to the music, you'd make a terrible inspirational speaker. and i don't really understand your other post - i'm not selling anything. just an observer...maybe tone down the condescension a little bro
I really didn't necessarily see the condescension there. Just an observer... (and site owner)... maybe tone down turning an exchange accusatory.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sorry if you found it condescending, that certainly wasn't intended. Just relating experiences from the technology consulting trenches. More a joke than anything else.

As KG says, a lot of people would not find the scenario inspiring. If making music on a remote server does become a "take it or leave it" deal, I'll be searching under the stairs for my old 8-track Tascam.
zed

Post by zed »

bayswater wrote:If making music on a remote server does become a "take it or leave it" deal, I'll be searching under the stairs for my old 8-track Tascam.
I still have my 4-track Tascam, but it doesn't work anymore. But I kept it as a collector's item, and just love the round rubber knobs. Rubber knobs are satisfying to the touch!
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8