VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by corbo-billy »

nightwatch wrote:I like DP7's themes and DP8 looks to have even better looking themes. Can't wait!
Patience would it be a breast of M.A.O. ? 8)
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

I'm sure this has been said already - - I bet the PC compatibility and getting that all straight is what's holding up DP8. I say forget about the PC'ers out there and get it out to us old faithful!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Jaysplace101 wrote:I'm sure this has been said already - - I bet the PC compatibility and getting that all straight is what's holding up DP8. I say forget about the PC'ers out there and get it out to us old faithful!
Well it would be a first for sure. I've seen plug in developers release the Mac or PC version first, but not DAW developers. The fear I presume is that the Windows guys will need the same sort of convincing that we do that an AU is not a wrapped VST etc. about DP8 if it comes out later than the OSX version.
Basically claims might be made that the Windows version is a bad 'port' of the Mac version, so they probably won't be releasing either version without the other being 100% ready. It's IMO the one downside to multi-platform development strategies for the ends user.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I like that, for the last 12 years, Microsoft released the new features of Office on the Mac first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

cowtothesky wrote:If you are running DP7, I see no downside to getting DP8 right when it comes out. Can't you run both versions on the same machine? I will get DP8 and keep DP7 running until I am able to make the changeover. Or am I missing something here. Would installing DP8 have any affect on DP7?
just a thought about running two versions of DP on the same machine.
it's been tried, successfully & unsuccessfully, by lots of folk (incl. me) several times over the years.
but at the end of the day, I've finally come down to running two partitions, each with it's own DP, and had great success with that.
thing is, every version of DP has *so* many files that are unique to that version. and when you install a new DP on an existing version, and then try and run the older one, it's going to see some newer files - that have overwritten previous files - that it may or may not play happily with.
running two partitions - each with it's own ver. of DP - can definitely be a PITA (you have to double-install all VI's, plugs, etc.), *but* it gives you rock solid installs of both versions of DP and that can be worth all of the effort.
the above may be the ultimate "Your Mileage May Vary"!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd definitely go with 2 partitions this time out!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS