VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kinnylandrum »

Anyone know if punch guard works on MIDI recording? I have such New York time that I routinely have to set the punch in point, and then back it up a bit so it will get the first note I played. would be great if I didn't have to go through that everytime.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

kinnylandrum wrote:Anyone know if punch guard works on MIDI recording? I have such New York time that I routinely have to set the punch in point, and then back it up a bit so it will get the first note I played. would be great if I didn't have to go through that everytime.
That's one thing I miss from Studio Vision Pro. It was ALWAYS recording MIDI (but you could defeat the feature if you wanted to).

I'd like to know if punch guard allows me to go back and recapture performances from a few years ago... j/k

I doubt MIDI pro and post roll are included but then again, it also wouldn't surprise me if it were.

Where and when do I send my $200 upgrade $$$!!!! Me wanna now!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: That's one thing I miss from Studio Vision Pro. It was ALWAYS recording MIDI (but you could defeat the feature if you wanted to).

That's not the only thing I miss about Studio Vision, but oh well...
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

OK, MIDI regions, BUT THAT'S IT! (isn't it?) :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
groove

Post by groove »

Thank You James for your time and dedication. The video is very informative and, as someone else pointed out, "It's like being there!"

Merci beaucoup!!

I like the fact the audio of a video file is now piped in directly to DP; no more "Copy audio track to DP" of a 52 minutes show, Yeah!

I'm surprised Punch Gard never made it earlier since it is basicaly a way to continously record on disk the audio of an record armed track playing and showing only the boundaries of the punch in/out. Unless I'm missing something, it's like pushing the Record button and doing your region after the fact. Anyways, it's good to have it now.

The new plug-ins look tasty!! They managed to trigger the animation on the sub-kick plug-in with the incoming audio from the track; neat!

Dynamic EQ; fantastic!!

I had to stop watching after the Room B demo; it took lmost 2 hours to stream 11 minutes of video. Will finish watching later. Internet overload.

Cheers!
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
MIDI Life Crisis

groove wrote: I like the fact the audio of a video file is now piped in directly to DP; no more "Copy audio track to DP" of a 52 minutes show,
I'm not sure he is talking about having it available as a track. I assumed he meant that it is exactly the way it is now. You can playback and change the level or mute audio from the movie window.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Dave is such a good presenter.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
groove wrote: I like the fact the audio of a video file is now piped in directly to DP; no more "Copy audio track to DP" of a 52 minutes show,
I'm not sure he is talking about having it available as a track. I assumed he meant that it is exactly the way it is now. You can playback and change the level or mute audio from the movie window.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about this myself...
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact that we can now do "full screen video!" It's the simple things" in life that make it worth while! :D
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

DP8 looks very good, I am actually surprised about the level of quality of the new effects & pedals, they really are much better than I expected.
Even though it's not as important as the actual DP8 transition to 64bit as well as the new DP for Windows, w/ all of the new features, it should appease many newer DP converts who want more included plugs & toys with their new DAW.
DP's included plugs & effects now seem more comprehensive and very competitive it's not just an afterthought anymore.
With all of these shrewd moves, Motu seems like they are going forward into a new era, that will insure DP's viability way beyond any of our recent expectations.
IMO these developments by Motu, has caused a seismic shift that will change DP's perception in the DAW world and give Motu a strong presence in the market that we haven't seen in recent times.
Viva DP!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I haven't been able to watch the video yet (gonna take 4 hours to dload on my slow DSL connection), which will likely answer some of my questions.

But the elephant in the room, at least in my mind, still hasn't been dealt with yet: how does the 64bit engine deal with 32bit plugins (if at all?). I'm just praying it's not a black & white deal, where you have to start it in 32bit mode to run 32bit plugins. Because that would mean that most of us would forever be stuck in 32bit mode, as some of our favorite plugs (B4II, Korg Legacy, etc) will never be updated to 64bit.

I'm seriously going to cry if they haven't figured out a way of running 32bit plugs in 64bit mode. I don't mind running older projects in 32bit mode, but I'd like to start new projects that can run 64bit, but bridge over my few remaining 32bit VIs and effects.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

Prime Mover wrote:I haven't been able to watch the video yet (gonna take 4 hours to dload on my slow DSL connection), which will likely answer some of my questions.

But the elephant in the room, at least in my mind, still hasn't been dealt with yet: how does the 64bit engine deal with 32bit plugins (if at all?). I'm just praying it's not a black & white deal, where you have to start it in 32bit mode to run 32bit plugins. Because that would mean that most of us would forever be stuck in 32bit mode, as some of our favorite plugs (B4II, Korg Legacy, etc) will never be updated to 64bit.

I'm seriously going to cry if they haven't figured out a way of running 32bit plugs in 64bit mode. I don't mind running older projects in 32bit mode, but I'd like to start new projects that can run 64bit, but bridge over my few remaining 32bit VIs and effects.

+1
Good point,I also hope Motu has figured out a solution that will keep everyone happy.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
zed

Post by zed »

Prime Mover wrote:But the elephant in the room, at least in my mind, still hasn't been dealt with yet: how does the 64bit engine deal with 32bit plugins (if at all?). I'm just praying it's not a black & white deal, where you have to start it in 32bit mode to run 32bit plugins. Because that would mean that most of us would forever be stuck in 32bit mode, as some of our favorite plugs (B4II, Korg Legacy, etc) will never be updated to 64bit.

I really doubt you have to worry about this. Of course MOTU is going to have designed a way for your 32 bit plugins to still work in 64 bit DP. It may come with a compromise of efficiency or something, but it will work.

You can reboot your Mac in 64 bit right now, and all the 32 bit applications will run without seeming any different than usual. You can't even tell you are running a 32 bit application unless you look at Activity Monitor to see.

But I am no expert... just trying to be an elephant slayer.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
dix

Post by dix »

I really doubt you have to worry about this. Of course MOTU is going to have designed a way for your 32 bit plugins to still work in 64 bit DP. It may come with a compromise of efficiency or something, but it will work.
Is this true? I always thought 64bit it was an all or nothing deal. My excitement for a 64bit DP has always been muted for this reason. I'd be really happy to hear I was wrong!! …if i were at namm this is the 1st question i'd ask motu (hint, hint).
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
zed

Post by zed »

dix wrote:
Is this true? I always thought 64bit it was an all or nothing deal. My excitement for a 64bit DP has always been muted for this reason. I'd be really happy to hear I was wrong!! …if i were at namm this is the 1st question i'd ask motu (hint, hint).
In all truth I probably shouldn't be speaking as if I know that this is the case for sure. But I would be very surprised if I am wrong about this. It wouldn't make sense for the end user not to be able to load old projects that utilize 32 bit plugins. I imagine DP will automatically get those plugins working in a 32 bit kernel and we may face a performance compromise. Hopefully we will even have the option to disable those plugins as a group, so that we can enjoy full efficiency without them if we are prepared to swap them out with 64 bit alternatives.

I really truly doubt that if we will suddenly be unable to use our 32 bit plugins ever again in 64 bit DP.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8