VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by zed »

dix wrote:Is this true? I always thought 64bit it was an all or nothing deal. My excitement for a 64bit DP has always been muted for this reason. I'd be really happy to hear I was wrong!! …if i were at namm this is the 1st question i'd ask motu (hint, hint).
Indeed, it would be nice to hear the answer to this directly from the Magic Mouth.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Either I'm a fool or confused or (what if!) BOTH!

I run a couple of 32 bit plugs in 32 DP and the same plugs in 64 bit Plogue Bidule, while booted in 64 bit as my default (and never boot into 32 bit - ever).

They run. Has anyone experienced a situation where a 32 bit plug will not run in a 64 bit app?

Just askin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

The internet is now telling me Logic uses a 32bit bridge to allow access to 32bit plugins. A solution that (the internet says) causes problems for many (it's Logic. how can they tell? :D ). This makes me think zed's assumption is indeed correct!

…which leads me to my next naive question. Does all this mean, if true, will I be able to run my uad-1 (not 64bit. nvr will be) within a 64bit DP?
Last edited by dix on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
zed

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Either I'm a fool or confused or (what if!) BOTH!
Probably both!
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I run a couple of 32 bit plugs in 32 DP and the same plugs in 64 bit Plogue Bidule, while booted in 64 bit as my default (and never boot into 32 bit - ever).

They run.
Thanks for pointing that out. I knew I had additional reasons for having come to my conclusion, and I remember you mentioning this before.
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

Both works for me! ;)

Seriously though, I've read about other DAWs having some kind of 32bit--->64bit bridge and by most reports they are usually not a great solution for the users, so until we actually see & experience whatever issues or solutions for these new developments entail during the 64bit transition, I guess this is our 64bit Question.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Either I'm a fool or confused or (what if!) BOTH!

I run a couple of 32 bit plugs in 32 DP and the same plugs in 64 bit Plogue Bidule, while booted in 64 bit as my default (and never boot into 32 bit - ever).

They run. Has anyone experienced a situation where a 32 bit plug will not run in a 64 bit app?

Just askin'
Absolutely. VE Pro has both 64 bit and 32 bit servers. When in 64 bit server, the 32 bit VIs/plugs don't even show up as selectable. Some VI's have both versions installed (like Omnisphere), so it just selects the appropriate version in that case.

64 bit Logic did indeed have to have the "bridge" to play 32 bit plugs. I don't know what became of that though.

We have to be careful here when we talk about 32/64 bit compatibility. 32 bit apps work fine on a 64 bit booted machine, that's what I do right now. But 32 bit plugins working in a 64 bit application, is a completely different question.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Alright... someone at NAMM, please ask! I know it's been in the back of our minds for years, we've had whole threads on it, people have denounced 64bit evolution out of fear of this. So why isn't anyone there asking? Sure, the Plogue thing gives us hope, as does the reality that MOTU would "never" make something that would be so broken... but it doesn't truly answer the question. For that, someone just need ask. We only have until the end of NAMM to ask any questions before release.

The reality is, for a 64bit host to run 32bit threads (plugins), a 32bit bridge must be built, and that's no simple task. The fact that this worry hasn't already been quelled by MOTU worries me. Either they think it's such a forgone conclusion that they haven't addressed it... or they just don't want to break the bad news.

And yes, applications and plugins are two different animals. Running a 32bit plugin in a 64bit host is BY NO MEANS automatic. In fact, I've heard that Logic's bridge is complicated and prone to crashes. It's not unthinkable that MOTU decided to make a clean cut... especially since practically every plugin currently in production has, or will soon have a 64bit version. Their answer to running 32bit plugs? "Boot DP8 in 32bit mode until the plugs get recoded." Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me either.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I run a couple of 32 bit plugs in 32 DP and the same plugs in 64 bit Plogue Bidule, while booted in 64 bit as my default (and never boot into 32 bit - ever).

They run.
That's because most/all modern 64bit plugs are designed to have a 32bit counterpart imbedded. On load, they auto-detect what bitrate the host is, and load the correct one. I know all NI stuff such as Kontakt has been made dual mode for some time. I'm fairly sure that PLAY 3 is like this, my guess is Omnisphere as well. So many people are still running 32bit DAWs, that it would be a bad idea for a company to create a "64bit only" plugin.

64bit programs, by nature, can only run 64bit code; 32bit programs, by nature can only run 32bit code. You have to create a bridge to run the other, or plugins can be coded dual-mode. Mac OS is a different animal because they've created it, from the ground up, to be able to run 32bit or 64bit code (while in 64bit mode), but each process (an application and all its plugins) must be either one or the other.
Last edited by Prime Mover on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
zed

Post by zed »

Prime Mover wrote:Alright... someone at NAMM, please ask! I know it's been in the back of our minds for years, we've had whole threads on it, people have denounced 64bit evolution out of fear of this. So why isn't anyone there asking? Sure, the Plogue thing gives us hope, as does the reality that MOTU would "never" make something that would be so broken... but it doesn't truly answer the question. For that, someone just need ask. We only have until the end of NAMM to ask any questions before release.
I'll second that. I would definitely like to hear an official comment on this very important detail.

All, great points Prime Mover. We should not jump to conclusions... and me especially.
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

Excuse this as it's totally off topic but the thread about DP8,Windows etc... @KVR is hilarious!!!
Various trollish members there are actually saying the news about DP8 is an elaborate hoax!!
Some of the funniest Internet lunacy I have seen in a while!! lol lol lol

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... +performer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Prime Mover wrote: For that, someone just need ask. We only have until the end of NAMM to ask any questions before release.
Here here!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

kgdrum wrote:Excuse this as it's totally off topic but the thread about DP8,Windows etc... @KVR is hilarious!!!
Effen boneheads. Talk about fanboys! :rofl:

My fav comment was "DP is the only DAW I haven't tried."

Yes, and based on that, you know it's the worst...

:boohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

We only have until the end of NAMM to ask any questions before release
Yes, someone please ask MOTU if 32bit plugins will run in the 64bit DP8. Thank you!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Is Magic Dave giving any kind of E.T.A on DP8?
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

I've seen either March or The Spring,I guess we shall see.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

kgdrum wrote:I've seen either March or The Spring,I guess we shall see.
Nice. Now I just need to save up for a new machine! :-)
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)