VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by Tim »

I dug that cat's guitar playing at the MOTU demo.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Killahurts wrote:
monkey man wrote: If "old-fashioned" seems inappropriate, just call me a cheapskate
I don't think you could be a cheapskate and be cruising the beach with a chick like that.. particularly with that face of yours.
Yeah, I am kinda purdy I s'pose, Killa. Besides, I've always punched above my weight.

Disclaimer: The real, sorry ass of the MM does not enjoy such beauty or confidence.
kgdrum wrote:... IMO these developments by Motu, has caused a seismic shift that will change DP's perception in the DAW world and give Motu a strong presence in the market that we haven't seen in recent times.
Viva DP!
I sure hope this proves to be the case, KG.
Prime Mover wrote:... But the elephant in the room, at least in my mind, still hasn't been dealt with yet: how does the 64bit engine deal with 32bit plugins (if at all?)...
For me, the elephant is when the VI collection'll receive its long-overdue boost. Can't wait; hopefully it'll be DP8 as I definitely "planned" on this version being the one to deliver here.

That said, the guitar plugs look great, and I'm sure will sound so too; we can trust MOTU to deliver IMHO.

I studied James' filming technique during the Windoze announcement, half expecting him to drop the cam or at least wobble it violently, but alas, our James is a pro. Thank you ever so much for the fillum, Jimbo. :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy »

daveyboy wrote:
dix wrote:The internet is now telling me Logic uses a 32bit bridge to allow access to 32bit plugins. A solution that (the internet says) causes problems for many (it's Logic. how can they tell? :D ). This makes me think zed's assumption is indeed correct!

…which leads me to my next naive question. Does all this mean, if true, will I be able to run my uad-1 (not 64bit. nvr will be) within a 64bit DP?
I use Logic and an other app which gets bleeped out when I type it and they both have their own 32 bit bridges which,for the most part, work fine. I saw the DP demo today and was mostly excited by the new plugins which seem super useful. Having 64 bit capability will be awesome of course and much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or DP could operate like StudioOne with no 32bit bridge built in whatsoever.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Dix, I fear that the problem with UAD-1 will not be that the plugs themselves are 32-bit versions, but that they need a UAD card to run at all... Which requires a driver, and that there's no 64-bit Mac driver for the card. So even if DP will run 32-bit plugs in 64-bit mode, your card won't work with your Mac booted in 64-bit mode.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Stuartfox

Post by Stuartfox »

dix wrote:The internet is now telling me Logic uses a 32bit bridge to allow access to 32bit plugins. A solution that (the internet says) causes problems for many (it's Logic. how can they tell? :D ). This makes me think zed's assumption is indeed correct!

…which leads me to my next naive question. Does all this mean, if true, will I be able to run my uad-1 (not 64bit. nvr will be) within a 64bit DP?
I only have two plugins that are 32bit now - and for me this is where VE Pro is going to remain useful. AU /vst bridge tech has been pretty problematic for other DAW's - but we know that VE Pro is now pretty mature and very stable so just running a VEPro server in DP - and connecting it to a local 32bit instance of VEP would be the perfect solution for connecting your remaining 32bit plugins to 64bit DP8
Stuart Fox
See a preview of my new website and showreel:
http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/preview

Amiga 1200, 80MB HDD, Midimaster MIDI interface, Octamed 6,Bars & Pipes Pro + Korg M1R + Roland XV3080 <Just added!!!.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Gravity Jim wrote:Dix, I fear that the problem with UAD-1 will not be that the plugs themselves are 32-bit versions, but that they need a UAD card to run at all... Which requires a driver, and that there's no 64-bit Mac driver for the card. So even if DP will run 32-bit plugs in 64-bit mode, your card won't work with your Mac booted in 64-bit mode.
Although now that I think of it, is it possible that your 32-but driver would run on a Mac in 64-bit mode just like other apps do? You might be ok. A complicated question, for sure.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:
donreynolds wrote:They would have never done the themes if it was not for Andy doing it first. It would have been nice if they gave him credit for the idea.
It wasn't that Andy did it first. Lots of us did it long before Andy did. It's that Andy did it SO WELL. He came up with beautiful color harmonies that worked, and he applied his attention to detail as though he were the designer, not someone playing with forbidden files. Most of us tried a few things, saw that we'd changed some colors and graphics, and said "cool." Then we lost interest. Andy took it to the point that anyone looking at it would say "I want that." And it caused practically a revolution of interest in DP. MOTU could not ignore that kind of attention, and their addition of themes at that point was almost necessary to stave off the letdown and complaints if Andy ceases to update his mods.
<snip>
Shooshie
Amen!

I am so used to to andys themes running all week long on our machines, I could not believe how BAD DP looked on the NAMM video that was posted.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Tim wrote:I dug that cat's guitar playing at the MOTU demo.
Yeah, same here.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Good stuff!
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
dix

Post by dix »

Gravity Jim wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Dix, I fear that the problem with UAD-1 will not be that the plugs themselves are 32-bit versions, but that they need a UAD card to run at all... Which requires a driver, and that there's no 64-bit Mac driver for the card. So even if DP will run 32-bit plugs in 64-bit mode, your card won't work with your Mac booted in 64-bit mode.
Although now that I think of it, is it possible that your 32-but driver would run on a Mac in 64-bit mode just like other apps do? You might be ok. A complicated question, for sure.
Yes, that is precisely the question I'm now trying to figure out. Seems like NAMM would be the perfect place to get info. Unfortunately, this thread has not been noticed by any actual NAMM goers so I may have no choice but to wait until DP8 ships find out the answer. For this same reason we're not even certain DP8 will run 32bit plugins at all!

Again, if anyone at NAMM happens to see this, please ask MOTU about 32bit plugin support.

…and yeah, i dug the dp8 demo-guitarist too! not your average namm shredder!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote:
donreynolds wrote:They would have never done the themes if it was not for Andy doing it first. It would have been nice if they gave him credit for the idea.
It wasn't that Andy did it first. Lots of us did it long before Andy did. It's that Andy did it SO WELL. He came up with beautiful color harmonies that worked, and he applied his attention to detail as though he were the designer, not someone playing with forbidden files. Most of us tried a few things, saw that we'd changed some colors and graphics, and said "cool." Then we lost interest. Andy took it to the point that anyone looking at it would say "I want that." And it cause practically a revolution of interest in DP. MOTU could not ignore that kind of attention, and their addition of themes at that point was almost necessary to stave off the letdown and complaints if Andy ceases to update his mods.

But you're absolutely right that they should mention Andy or somehow compensate him for what he did for all of us. Believe me, I've tried compensating him. I've sent way more than he asked for, but I'm just one person. If everyone did that, Andy would probably make a lot more themes, and we could be sure that he'd be able to keep them up (it's VERY time consuming). So I say to everyone who hasn't tried them, you won't believe how easy this is. MOTU set up a folder so that all you do is drag them to that folder, and you're done. No "modding." Andy's installer practically does it for you.

So it costs about what you'd spend on dinner for one. It's freaking worth it to support the guy who gave us this wonderful feature, not to mention to HAVE these great themes!

Shooshie

Interested? Click here to go to Andy's website: ampguimods.net
I have just paid for a theme download in the light of what you say above seeing as how his work inspired me to get my hands dirty. Looking forward to getting the unlock codes once Pay Pal has done its work and see the pro result compared with my own attempts! I also think Motu should acknowledge his work on Themes.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Saw the demo and didn't see much in it for me as I never was am a big electric guitar player and now... That's ok, I like staying current and having access to support.

So, I will upgrade to DP 8 when it comes out and continue the long overdue upgrade to my whole process that began with my new iMac last year. I suppose that I should max out my memory, upgrade the VIs I have etc.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

I think it would be cool for Motu to at least contract Andy to submit Ideas for themes. His themes are so cool. They could also incorporate a load option in a future 8.x upgrade for his third party themes sort of like they do Proverb for IRs.
That would at least allow Andy access and also he could make money for his time with Motu's blessing. He might have to pay a small percentage of his sales to them for the access. Just some thoughts.

It would really allow Motu to glean off of his creativeness without putting him on salary and they could check his work to make sure it works ok before they allowed it on their system.

Win- win situation for both parties

I think I will bring it up at the next board meeting... lol
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
zed

Post by zed »

dix wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Although now that I think of it, is it possible that your 32-but driver would run on a Mac in 64-bit mode just like other apps do? You might be ok. A complicated question, for sure.
Yes, that is precisely the question I'm now trying to figure out. Seems like NAMM would be the perfect place to get info. Unfortunately, this thread has not been noticed by any actual NAMM goers so I may have no choice but to wait until DP8 ships find out the answer. For this same reason we're not even certain DP8 will run 32bit plugins at all!
I think you can find the answer to this UAD thing right now. Boot your machine in 64 bit, and run DP7, and see if UAD continues to work. If the driver is going to have trouble in 64 bit you can figure that out right now.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Completely different. OSX is built from the ground up to run both 32bit and 64bit apps (processes) in 64bit mode. So yes, it's a given that DP7 can run in 64bit mode. HOWEVER, documentation dictates that a single process has to be completely one or the other. Plugins, even though they're different threads (I think), are included in the same process, so all plugins must match the bitrate of the host. So, no, that doesn't tell us anything.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy