VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by zed »

RecordingArts wrote:Nice. Now I just need to save up for a new machine! :-)
If possible, I would recommend setting everything up on a new machine BEFORE you get DP8 so that you will be able to objectively determine how well it runs, after having successfully gotten DP7 to work on your new computer. If you don't start with DP7 on your new computer, and determine that it is working at least as efficiently as it is on your current computer, it will be difficult to know what might be the source of any new problems that you have... even with something as simple as your MIDI chain and other things that can require new drivers and stuff to work properly on the new computer

Setting up a new computer is a royal pain, I know. But if you are not 64-bit ready, I would try to get a head start on getting your computer upgraded before the release, unless you are gonna wait first to hear reports about how it is working for others.

I'm sorry for all of you who are faced with this dilemma. I am lucky to have one of the first Mac models that is 64 bit ready. It has some curious problems, though, so it remains to be seen if I am *properly* 64 bit ready. I may have to end up getting a new computer as well. :-(
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, FWIW, there are a lot of 64 bit machines for sale out there now. I'd snag one early before the clean machines are gone... oh wait, I did! ☺ No reason to go below 6 or 8 core on a used Mac Pro.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Isn't it always $195?
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
dix

Post by dix »

Here's another video on YouTube. They miss the beginning, but it's the same demo as on James' video - though easier to access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmDrxQi0 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

They would have never done the themes if it was not for Andy doing it first. It would have been nice if they gave him credit for the idea.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

I love the punch guard feature
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

donreynolds wrote:They would have never done the themes if it was not for Andy doing it first. It would have been nice if they gave him credit for the idea.
It wasn't that Andy did it first. Lots of us did it long before Andy did. It's that Andy did it SO WELL. He came up with beautiful color harmonies that worked, and he applied his attention to detail as though he were the designer, not someone playing with forbidden files. Most of us tried a few things, saw that we'd changed some colors and graphics, and said "cool." Then we lost interest. Andy took it to the point that anyone looking at it would say "I want that." And it cause practically a revolution of interest in DP. MOTU could not ignore that kind of attention, and their addition of themes at that point was almost necessary to stave off the letdown and complaints if Andy ceases to update his mods.

But you're absolutely right that they should mention Andy or somehow compensate him for what he did for all of us. Believe me, I've tried compensating him. I've sent way more than he asked for, but I'm just one person. If everyone did that, Andy would probably make a lot more themes, and we could be sure that he'd be able to keep them up (it's VERY time consuming). So I say to everyone who hasn't tried them, you won't believe how easy this is. MOTU set up a folder so that all you do is drag them to that folder, and you're done. No "modding." Andy's installer practically does it for you.

So it costs about what you'd spend on dinner for one. It's freaking worth it to support the guy who gave us this wonderful feature, not to mention to HAVE these great themes!

Shooshie

Interested? Click here to go to Andy's website: ampguimods.net
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

+1 Andy has been the major catalyst responsible to the improved look of DP,which reminds me I need to update gold and get that newer 1 from a month or so ago, next influx of $$
Amplidood Rocks!! ;)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
daveyboy

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by daveyboy »

dix wrote:The internet is now telling me Logic uses a 32bit bridge to allow access to 32bit plugins. A solution that (the internet says) causes problems for many (it's Logic. how can they tell? :D ). This makes me think zed's assumption is indeed correct!

…which leads me to my next naive question. Does all this mean, if true, will I be able to run my uad-1 (not 64bit. nvr will be) within a 64bit DP?
I use Logic and an other app which gets bleeped out when I type it and they both have their own 32 bit bridges which,for the most part, work fine. I saw the DP demo today and was mostly excited by the new plugins which seem super useful. Having 64 bit capability will be awesome of course and much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Well, if Logic and Bleep do it, then it's really really hard to believe that MOTU would miss out. But the fact that they haven't been upfront about it is weird.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kgdrum wrote:Excuse this as it's totally off topic but the thread about DP8,Windows etc... @KVR is hilarious!!!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... +performer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't go there. It's a cesspool.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

You guys are talking about Bleeper? Isn't that the app TV stations use to blackout wordy dirds?

As you bleep, so shall you row.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by kgdrum »

what are you bleeping talking about?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

[xxx] is the sequencer DAW that has [xxx] and [xxx]. It is also so [xxx] [xxx] that we can't [xxx] talk about it.

Did I mention that I'm [xxx]ed. Oh I get it... [xxx] you man! No I mean [XXX] you!

I need an xxx box. x)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
kgdrum wrote:Excuse this as it's totally off topic but the thread about DP8,Windows etc... @KVR is hilarious!!!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... +performer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't go there. It's a cesspool.
Maybe, but an interesting one, at least. There were a lot of good comments and a lot of folks are excited about DP on Windows. There were some uproariously funny comments, too.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|