VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by zed »

I just started dating a woman who has a PC laptop instead of a Mac laptop, and it is the only shortcoming in the relationship, thus far.

Fortunately, neither does she have an iPhone or an iPad, so she doesn't bore me with her attention to her media while we are spending time together. I like that. I found someone in the world still willing to give me their full attention when we are together. That's priceless. I think I'll hang onto her, even though she's not a Mac girl.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

I have a question in regards to DP8. Is there any opinion as to one should wait till the bugs get worked out before upgrading as in waiting to buy Macs New PC's. Or will everyone jump right in and hope the beta testing was successful and it is ready for Motunation
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Bugs won't be the issue for me. I'll be looking more closely at compatibility with the plugs-ins I use regularly.

You can bet that most here will move pretty quickly, and there will be the usual weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

If you already use V7, it will take some time to get everything set up the way you want it on V8, so there's no point in waiting.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

Finally got around to watching the demo...and wow. Looks tremendous, especially the video improvements for scoring to picture.

I'll wager full 64 bit and full Cocoa will mean better multi-core processing support as well. It's not exactly knocking my socks off at the moment. Even so, DP7 is so damn stable...will be like naked cliff diving when I install that upgrade...(where's the emoticon for that btw?)
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Casually, having to code the entire D.P.'s Plug-ins must be a hell of a job. :oops:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

If you are running DP7, I see no downside to getting DP8 right when it comes out. Can't you run both versions on the same machine? I will get DP8 and keep DP7 running until I am able to make the changeover. Or am I missing something here. Would installing DP8 have any affect on DP7?
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A lot depends on if they change the MAS Audio Unit file. That changed between DP 5 and 6 and if you installed 6 you couldn't use 5 unless you reverted to the DP 5 MAS file - that is assuming you had a copy saved before the install or reinstalled DP 5 to get the file back.

There was an added feature to the DP 6 MAS unit (can't remember what it was) but you lost that feature with the DP 5 file, and DP 6 worked OK sans the extra feature. Major PITA, so if you are not doing backups of your OS libraries, that might be an issue.

Unless DP 8 is a dog (which I doubt it will be) then there is no reason to revert to DP 7, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:A lot depends on if they change the MAS Audio Unit file. That changed between DP 5 and 6 and if you installed 6 you couldn't use 5 unless you reverted to the DP 5 MAS file - that is assuming you had a copy saved before the install or reinstalled DP 5 to get the file back.
I am not sure I am following you - maybe I am. If I saved a DP file in 6, I could no longer open it in 5 - that is true.

For that reason, I duplicated my project folders and opened those in 6. It took me a short while to conclude that I didn't like 6. Fortunately, I am able to open the originals in 5.

I have opened 6 again in an attempt to solve a problem I am having with 7.24 not finding many sound files on Lion. 5.13, 6.03 open them fine in Lion and 7.12 opens them on my G4 running 10.4.11.

I have found a workaround but MOTU support has yet to figure out the problem. News as it happens...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

That has NOTHING to do with what I'm talking about. The MAS Audio Unit resides in the Audio Library. The DP6 version was incompatible with DP5. As I recall, hitting record in DP 5 while attempting to use the DP6 MAS AU resulted in a crash. You can search for the threads but since it's a theoretical problem at this point, it already has too much traction. We'll have to find some other ghost to chase.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That has NOTHING to do with what I'm talking about. The MAS Audio Unit resides in the Audio Library. The DP6 version was incompatible with DP5. As I recall, hitting record in DP 5 while attempting to use the DP6 MAS AU resulted in a crash. You can search for the threads but since it's a theoretical problem at this point, it already has too much traction. We'll have to find some other ghost to chase.
No problem. Since I was never affected by it, I'm happy not to go there. I recorded in 5.13 as recently as two weeks ago. 6 is still installed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

I was also in Leopard at the time which may have been an additional factor.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Well I for one need DP8 NOW!. I have a major project due in a month. Right now it's getting completely bogged down in 32-bit DP7. I have 20GBs of RAM, and my DP/Kontakt project is using every last "bit" of the RAM.

I opened the project in Logic in 64-bit mode (with all of my 64-bit plugins, VIs and sample libs), and it made a huge difference.

The same project ran a heck of a lot smoother in Logic 64-bit than it did in DP 32-bit. It sucks when you have several instances of Kontakt's memory sever running and eating up 4GBs of RAM for each one. In Logic's 64-bit mode I was able to turn off Kontakt's memory sever! The addressing is so much better. It cut my RAM needs down quite a bit, and helped my CPU out.

I hope DP8 is very well optimized with it's CPU usage (with cocoa it probably will), because right now I'm pushing it to the limits. So MOTU, please hurry up!

Thank you

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

Yeah I did a lot testing and found DP7 doesn't use processing power as well as we might like. I think it's fundamentally built on code from DP4 or maybe earlier. This full re-write should clear that up as far as I know. Looking forward to it myself very much!
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I highly doubt that there's any code from earlier than DP4, prior to that it was OS9 territory. But yeah, you're probably right, a lot of the basic code is likely from DP4. DP6 was the only major update from DP4 that we've seen so far, everything else has been small feature additions and service updates.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Yeah I agree. I was working on a single project for so long that I had to skip DP5 and DP6 - I went straight from DP4 - DP7 when the project was over and it seemed like they felt the same (DP4 and DP7).

After reading about whatever problems you guys had with DP6, it looks like I didn't miss much. I saw DP6... what an ugly interface that was. I like DP7's themes and DP8 looks to have even better looking themes. Can't wait!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE