VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by zed »

Prime Mover wrote:Completely different. OSX is built from the ground up to run both 32bit and 64bit apps (processes) in 64bit mode. So yes, it's a given that DP7 can run in 64bit mode. HOWEVER, documentation dictates that a single process has to be completely one or the other. Plugins, even though they're different threads (I think), are included in the same process, so all plugins must match the bitrate of the host. So, no, that doesn't tell us anything.
But the UAD driver is part of the OSX framework and not of DP's internal framework, is it not? I don't know that for fact, but I thought the drivers were for interfacing hardware with OSX and are independent from the DAW... but of course they still have to communicate with the host application, so maybe you are right and it tells us nothing.

It would be a good sign, at least...
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Prime Mover wrote:Completely different. OSX is built from the ground up to run both 32bit and 64bit apps (processes) in 64bit mode. So yes, it's a given that DP7 can run in 64bit mode. HOWEVER, documentation dictates that a single process has to be completely one or the other. Plugins, even though they're different threads (I think), are included in the same process, so all plugins must match the bitrate of the host. So, no, that doesn't tell us anything.
Again, this is where you guys loose me. I run Plogue Bidule in 64 bit and it runs 32 bit instances of plugs (such as the Korg Wavestation VI, such as...) and all runs just fine.

What am I doing (or thinking) wrong and why would a 64 bit DP running the Korg bundle be any different??
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
What am I doing (or thinking) wrong and why would a 64 bit DP running the Korg bundle be any different??
You're still-- and legitimately-- rooted in a post-PPC mindset. We've hammered home all sorts of work-arounds and the geeky reasonings associated with a new paradigm.

Your Korg bundle would necessarily have to be forged for that new paradigm. It's not like it used to be when you could upgrade "this" and there'd be no impact on "that".

Here's what I'm saying--- beyond just updating software-- It's about OSX. DP is now "all Cocoa". That's a GOOD THING. If Korg is not keeping pace, then users must make a note of that sort of thing and not allow themselves to be held back by sluggish developers if moving forward is one's personal goal.

That said, if keeping it stable is the name of the game, then there's no shame in that game. Stay with what works!

Not all companies have found their way to 10.6.x, let alone 10.7.x. If Apple is on pace for OS upgrades, then 10.8 might be due before the end of the year or early 2013. The Mayans might have something to say about it, but things are changing so quickly that it's hard for uses to keep up, let alone developers.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
dix

Post by dix »

zed wrote:
dix wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Although now that I think of it, is it possible that your 32-but driver would run on a Mac in 64-bit mode just like other apps do? You might be ok. A complicated question, for sure.
Yes, that is precisely the question I'm now trying to figure out. Seems like NAMM would be the perfect place to get info. Unfortunately, this thread has not been noticed by any actual NAMM goers so I may have no choice but to wait until DP8 ships find out the answer. For this same reason we're not even certain DP8 will run 32bit plugins at all!
I think you can find the answer to this UAD thing right now. Boot your machine in 64 bit, and run DP7, and see if UAD continues to work. If the driver is going to have trouble in 64 bit you can figure that out right now.
Thanks for the suggestion! Funny story (funny as in awful). Back when DAWs started going 64bit I did diligent research to make sure my 2008 Quad-Core Intel Xeon would boot into 64bit mode when the time came. Everything I found (and still find) indicated that I could. However, I never bothered to try it until today. After several attempts and an hour or so of more research: It looks like I can NOT boot into 64bit on my machine :( Apparently there is a (allegedly arbitrary) bit of code in SL and beyond that prevents my MacPro from booting into anything other than 32bit. There's a hack out there that supposedly gets around this dilemma, but since my system is running great and it will be sometime until DP8 is out and running smooth I'm in no hurry to try it. If/when I do I'll take this issue over to the General Macintosh forum. …sometimes being SOL simplifies things at least :? .
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Again, this is where you guys loose me. I run Plogue Bidule in 64 bit and it runs 32 bit instances of plugs (such as the Korg Wavestation VI, such as...) and all runs just fine.

Intentionally add 8 GB worth of samples into RAM, if it loads just fine then Plogue is running some sort of bridge for 32 bit plug ins, if it has problems then Plogue is most likely switching to 32 bit mode once you instantiate the Korg plug ins. Also, are you even sure you're machine is running in 64 bit mode? I think your model boots in 32 unless told otherwise?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Dix : bad news indeed!!!
dumb question of the day,to test what you just said ,I rebooted the Mac holding the 6 and 4 keys while The Mac restarted,it restarted
how can I tell if it's now are running in 64 bit?
things like icons on the desktop look a little different, resolution wise, but I might be wrong,it might be wishful thinking.
Thanks
Last edited by kgdrum on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Canavan wrote: Also, are you even sure you're machine is running in 64 bit mode? I think your model boots in 32 unless told otherwise?
Yes, I am positive...

From System Profiler:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: ---
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: ---
User Name: ---
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: ---
(--- edited by me)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

i see this:

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Computer Name: KG's Mac Pro
User Name: (kgdrum)
Time since boot: 27 minutes

edited by me, so this does mean I am in 64 bit? right?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
zed

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yes, I am positive...

From System Profiler:
Boot Volume: ---
Computer Name: ---
User Name: ---
Time since boot: ---
Under what heading is that, exactly? I can't find this list. I clicked on System Profiler > Software > Applications > Finder > 10.6.8 and it looks different than the list you have pasted. My 64-Bit (Intel) listing also says Yes, but I am pretty sure I am booted in 32-bit at the moment. I thought I was anyway. Does "yes" mean "currently" or is it saying "able to"?
Last edited by zed on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

I believe it does...

GO HERE

Yes means you are booted in 64 bit, at least according to everything I've seen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Just checked and all my extensions are 64 bit. :) Yippee (I think).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:GO HERE
That's what I needed. Thanks!

I hadn't tried just clicking on the Software heading.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

same for me re: extensions

why not for Dix?
or are we missing something w/ this?
dix

Post by dix »

My question exactly (thanks for gettin' my back :) )! We seem to have the same generation of machine. I thought mine was a "late" 2008 model, but it must be an early 08. They're the ones that won't do 64bit I think.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

i think it includes all '08's from my understanding