Melodyne 2 is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Melodyne 2 is out

Post by SixStringGeek »

Upgrade is $99 and like a sucker, I bought it hoping that this version would finally be stable. Previous versions kept crashing while in DP when fed a mono vocal track of non-trivial length.

However, the new version crashes just like the old one. Anybody else had any luck with Melodyne in DP for vocal pitch correction? I'm kind of fed up with it and ordered AutoTune the other day because 1) I'm hoping it doesnt crash and 2) pop music seems to rely on it so much that it is hard to produce a credible pop demo without it. Not that I like that sound, but that seems to be the sound that sells.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
donreynolds

Re: Melodyne 2 is out

Post by donreynolds »

It has never crashed on me. I use it for a single vocal and I have done 8 tracks at once. Works great. I have used the b ridge extensively and also the editor program.
The key to using melodyne is you have to have the vocal track recording start at 0 in the project. If I record my vocals in parts, for example, punching in, then I have to go to the beginning and record just a second or two then merge audio to make it a complete track. This is the only way I have been able t keep sync.
Hope that makes sense.
But I use it on all my songs. very easy to use and can be very surgical in the vocal editing. I even use it to make sure my Bass guitar tracks are in tune.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

SixStringGeek wrote:Upgrade is $99 and like a sucker, I bought it hoping that this version would finally be stable. Previous versions kept crashing while in DP when fed a mono vocal track of non-trivial length.

However, the new version crashes just like the old one. Anybody else had any luck with Melodyne in DP for vocal pitch correction? I'm kind of fed up with it and ordered AutoTune the other day because 1) I'm hoping it doesnt crash and 2) pop music seems to rely on it so much that it is hard to produce a credible pop demo without it. Not that I like that sound, but that seems to be the sound that sells.
Been using Autotune for years with DP. Between it and DP's pitch correction you can't go wrong. Just set AT's action to slow and use DP's pitch lines to nudge things that AT is pulling to the wrong note or not pulling far enough or fast enough. Had 75 tracks of AT'd vocals in the last project without a hitch.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:However, the new version crashes just like the old one. Anybody else had any luck with Melodyne in DP for vocal pitch correction?
I've been using Melodyne Uno/Assistant since it came out for vocal pitch and haven't had any problems with crashing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

donreynolds wrote:It has never crashed on me. I use it for a single vocal and I have done 8 tracks at once. Works great. I have used the b ridge extensively and also the editor program.
The key to using melodyne is you have to have the vocal track recording start at 0 in the project. If I record my vocals in parts, for example, punching in, then I have to go to the beginning and record just a second or two then merge audio to make it a complete track. This is the only way I have been able t keep sync.
Hope that makes sense.
But I use it on all my songs. very easy to use and can be very surgical in the vocal editing. I even use it to make sure my Bass guitar tracks are in tune.
I get that it needs contiguous audio to work right, learned that long ago. But I just tried it again on just one track and it crashed after I hit "stop" at the end of the song. One mono vocal track, 5 minutes at 44khz. The crash is deep in melodyne UI code. It is in the GUI code. If I click the transfer button and close the UI, the transfer seems to happen and the crash doesn't happen.....until I open the plugin's user interface.

FWIW, I just deleted everything Melodyne from my system and reinstalled it. No change.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

SixStringGeek wrote:
donreynolds wrote:It has never crashed on me. I use it for a single vocal and I have done 8 tracks at once. Works great. I have used the b ridge extensively and also the editor program.
Hope that makes sense.
I get that it needs contiguous audio to work right, learned that long ago. But I just tried it again on just one track and it crashed after I hit "stop" at the end of the song. One mono vocal track, 5 minutes at 44khz. The crash is deep in melodyne UI code. It is in the GUI code. If I click the transfer button and close the UI, the transfer seems to happen and the crash doesn't happen.....until I open the plugin's user interface.

FWIW, I just deleted everything Melodyne from my system and reinstalled it. No change.
Might be time to contact Celemony tech support. I've never had a crash with
any version of Melodyne (I haven't upgraded to the latest one, however).
If the scenario keeps repeating itself, then it could be your particular
system, your audio interface, a number of factors.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Although I have come across several bugs using the plug-in with DP, crashing has not been an issue on my system. Perhaps it's another plug-in conflicting with Melodyne. The last update (before 2.0) did clear up a couple of bugs. Hopefully version 2 cleared up the rest.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
willheim

Post by willheim »

I have been using it for years and never had a problem. I always use it as a plug in. COntiguous has been key, sometimes I get a little latency in the bounce when I do a bunch of tracks, I zero in n the wave form and line em back up, it is really small amount, i have grown used to the interface and AI and I get around on it very well and find it super useful.

The ability of it to function as a polyphonic device seems overstated to me - I haven't found that useful, sounds lousy.
mac pro 2.66 2010 8 core w 48 gig 1600 ddr, Mac OS 10.6.8, DP 7.21, the usual plugs and stuff.
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I’ve been using Melodyne Editor for a while and haven’t experienced any crashes however I’m discovering the pitch correction in DP to be much more useful in many more ways than Melodyne. I have to load melodyne as a plugin and transfer the audio to edit it – and that’s fine for some jobs – one of my main problems with melodyne is if I nudge a track one way or another the melodyne will not follow forcing me to make another pass and edit with melodyne – cumbersome - for most of my work now DP’s pitch correction is the ticket – I can easily isolate a single note turn on pitch correction for the track and edit the single note in seconds. Awesome! Way to go DP.

My thoughts -
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't use Melodyne for pitch correction, and in fact avoid pitch correction altogether, preferring a re-take if necessary, but I am fortunately not currently working with "challenged" singers. If that were the case, there are a number of tools, but I wouldn't care whether Melodyne was the best as I bought it as a MIDI converter for legacy projects that need a redo from scratch, as it accelerates workflow.

Surprised nonetheless to hear DP's pitch correction works better, as I tried it a few times for kicks and found even a quarter tone adjustment was detectable as artificial -- not so with Melodyne. But I suppose it depends on the material, whether it's an isolated note, part of a chord (I doubt DP can do this), etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
zed

Post by zed »

SixStringGeek wrote:...ordered AutoTune the other day because....pop music seems to rely on it so much that it is hard to produce a credible pop demo without it. Not that I like that sound, but that seems to be the sound that sells.
Can't produce a "credible pop demo" without it? Gosh, that's a horrible reason to propagate the use of an overspent and annoying sound that I would personally be happy to never hear again for the rest of my days.

But then "pop" of today is no longer rock and roll Beatles. So I have to ask myself if "pop" is even credible anymore. I'm incredulous.

Alice Cooper released Welcome 2 My Nightmare last year in a sequel that comes 36 years after the original. I was excited by a reunion of original band members and surprised to hear that Cooper's voice is still as amazing as it was back in the early '70s, and that he has at least one song on there that sounds like it could have been on the original album. But OMG, some of the other songs are so disappointing and the very first track, IN PARTICULAR, uses god-awful Autotune to the point of inducing vomit. What the hay!??! Even Alice Cooper thinks that for his record to sound cool and "credible" he needs to rely on this annoying gimic?

He lost me. Pretty much all modern music loses me. And it really frustrates me to hear that you are buying into the nonsense just so that you can create the illusion of sounding "credible". You say you don't like the sound, so why not try to find a way to make a good recording without using that effect? It seems you're only adding to the problem by jumping in on the tasteless bandwagon.

But I don't mean to offend anyone. I'd better just go crawl back under the 1960s rock I climbed out from.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Zed, was that you I saw under my rock? I regressing back to the Shadows this week.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zed

Post by zed »

bayswater wrote:Zed, was that you I saw under my rock? I regressing back to the Shadows this week.
I love playing/practising guitar to the Shadows (mostly Strat position 1 with some verb). Also like dancing to them and The Ventures as a form of exercise around the apartment!
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

mhschmieder wrote:I am fortunately not currently working with "challenged" singers.
Hey I resemble that remark!
mhschmieder wrote:Surprised nonetheless to hear DP's pitch correction works better, as I tried it a few times for kicks and found even a quarter tone adjustment was detectable as artificial
based on much of what I hear the kids listening to these days - this artificiality is apparently a "goal".
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

zed wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:...ordered AutoTune the other day because....pop music seems to rely on it so much that it is hard to produce a credible pop demo without it. Not that I like that sound, but that seems to be the sound that sells.
Can't produce a "credible pop demo" without it? Gosh, that's a horrible reason to propagate the use of an overspent and annoying sound that I would personally be happy to never hear again for the rest of my days.

But then "pop" of today is no longer rock and roll Beatles. So I have to ask myself if "pop" is even credible anymore. I'm incredulous.

Alice Cooper released Welcome 2 My Nightmare last year in a sequel that comes 36 years after the original. I was excited by a reunion of original band members and surprised to hear that Cooper's voice is still as amazing as it was back in the early '70s, and that he has at least one song on there that sounds like it could have been on the original album. But OMG, some of the other songs are so disappointing and the very first track, IN PARTICULAR, uses god-awful Autotune to the point of inducing vomit. What the hay!??! Even Alice Cooper thinks that for his record to sound cool and "credible" he needs to rely on this annoying gimic?

He lost me. Pretty much all modern music loses me. And it really frustrates me to hear that you are buying into the nonsense just so that you can create the illusion of sounding "credible". You say you don't like the sound, so why not try to find a way to make a good recording without using that effect? It seems you're only adding to the problem by jumping in on the tasteless bandwagon.

But I don't mean to offend anyone. I'd better just go crawl back under the 1960s rock I climbed out from.
I think you're referring to the "T-Pain/stair-stepped robot" Auto-Tune effect here. Not only is that annoying, but it is a totally worn-out gimmick
that I hope will fade into history along with the D50 Fantasia sound and
the Roland S-760 orchestra hit. And maybe the 32nd note stutter edit as
well - that's gotten tired.

That said, these days no one wants out of tune vocals, including me. I routinely tune vocals using Melodyne. It's like reverb and delay - I see
it as essential and part of the routine of production. I have recorded only two vocalists, both female, who didn't need their vocals tuned. The great superstar vocalists, like Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer, don't need
their vocals tuned. Working as keyboard tech/programmer on David Foster's
tours, I've been privileged to witness true superstar vocalist talent in
action. But let's face it, most singers aren't on this level. Especially
young girl singers who "like, totally wanna be artists".

I stopped using AutoTune years ago, but I'd be lost without Melodyne.
I couldn't have done a number of albums without it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com