TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Thanks man. In fact, playing for silent film is exactly like playing for modern dance.

Except that rather than playing it too fast or too slow, you can probably nail the tempos for films. :lol:
(one ballet orchestra conductor reportedly asked the diva, prior to a performance, whether she would prefer it too fast or too slow that night. Her icy reply reportedly gave him no clue as to her preference.)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
cuttime wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Do you have a link for that?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/scien ... ss&emc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMHO, someone other than CERN needs to duplicate the experiment.
Does anyone else have the equipment?

FM, see

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... -light.ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for the original experiment. The replication was reported widely in the news in the last couple of days. No one believes it, but no one has explained it yet either.
cuttime wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Do you have a link for that?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/scien ... ss&emc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMHO, someone other than CERN needs to duplicate the experiment.
GUYS! Thank you for the links. I will read them shortly.

I had heard of that experiment. The science forums I visit were not particularly excited about it. Apparently there were some "problems" with it (which kind of reminds me of this very thread). Secrecy, was one of them, and no independent sources have confirmed it yet. It will be very hard to duplicate, but if it turns out that it's verified and duplicated, the implications will be HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!

Like it was mentioned upthread, we won't have to worry about latency anymore :mrgreen:

Also, our projects will be finished before we begin them, we will get payed before we get hired, and many more things :mrgreen:

Ok, now I'll start reading those links in detail.

Oh, BTW, what a thread this mess is! We are now talking about like 4 different things now, in a typical MOTUnation fashion :lol: :roll: :oops:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm not so sure the implications are all that huge - at least for the modern or post-modern man and woman.

The understanding of particles is certainly going to be advanced. Then again, it's nothing new to the universe, just our understanding of it.

Maybe in a few hundred or thousand years humans or whatever they call themselves by then - and assuming they survive the next few dozen asteroid/comet collisions - will benefit in ways Hollywood would have us believe are possible. But in our miserably short life spans I'm betting the most we might see out of it is theoretical at best. OMG how I want to be wrong about that!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

:lol:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

cuttime wrote:Image

:lol:
Ha!! Brilliant!

Then there is this:

http://starburstfound.org/neutrinos-bre ... cs-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Believing in Einstein's energy equation for me is kinda like still thinking Pluto is a planet- I know it's been proven otherwise, but the original idea is so quaint I don't wanna believe differently.

Just like I personally suspect there's not a damn lick of difference between DAW summing, but I'm still comfortable with 20-30 professional Swedes proclaiming that DP sounds better. :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I agree that an objective test could be run to compare overhead, processing resources used, stability etc.

I don't know who would win but I do know that Logic is a resource hog compared to DP. I own both and occasionally have to use Logic.

Those predicting the demise of the Mac Pro have to wonder: How would Logic users get anything done - or how many iMacs and Minis need to be slaved to do projects that I can do on my system in DP?

The few times I ever use PT it's in someone else's facility.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Even though all matter is made from energy and relativity is based on this, Einstein's energy equations are only part of relativity. Finding that a particle goes faster than light does not disprove the math and physics of relativity but adds to it. It is still up in the air as to what really went on, did time bend rather than the neuron going faster than light is the question being asked.
I thought I was clever at one time; I had taken a few physics classes, some calculus classes, read some books on quantum mechanics (sub-atomic particle behavior), read a number of books on Time and space, books on relativity with some math in them and gone to school for electronics engineering so I figured I would try to read a book that contained the formulas of relativity.
I learned a lot from that book; the biggest thing was that I am really ignorant of math and physics.

Dp7 bends time and space.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

twistedtom wrote:Even though all matter is made from energy and relativity is based on this, Einstein's energy equations are only part of relativity. Finding that a particle goes faster than light does not disprove the math and physics of relativity but adds to it. It is still up in the air as to what really went on, did time bend rather than the neuron going faster than light is the question being asked.
I thought I was clever at one time; I had taken a few physics classes, some calculus classes, read some books on quantum mechanics (sub-atomic particle behavior), read a number of books on Time and space, books on relativity with some math in them and gone to school for electronics engineering so I figured I would try to read a book that contained the formulas of relativity.
I learned a lot from that book; the biggest thing was that I am really ignorant of math and physics.

Dp7 bends time and space.
Without getting "Religious", I would day that it is all spiritual.
Quantum physics has elluded to this in that in certain experiements, rudimentary particles change when OBSERVED.

This lends credence to the fact that when a man, spiritual being, etc, looks at a particle , it is influenced.

Thus, the speed of light and all such matters have to take into account such factors.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote: Without getting "Religious", I would day that it is all spiritual.
Quantum physics has elluded to this in that in certain experiements, rudimentary particles change when OBSERVED.

This lends credence to the fact that when a man, spiritual being, etc, looks at a particle , it is influenced.

Thus, the speed of light and all such matters have to take into account such factors.
Why do humans always think we are so important and can influence anything at all?
We do not influence those particles. We just realized what happens to them when measured, that's all (probably because of our rudimentary ways of measuring them in the first place).

Mankind? We are nothing more than an insignificant tiny amount of pollution in an otherwise "empty" space. All matter in the universe is just less than 8% of its contents. And we are nothing even within that small percent of matter. We are really inconsecuential on the grand scheme of things. All we can do is observe, try to understand, and marvel about it all...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote: Without getting "Religious", I would day that it is all spiritual.

Let's suffice to say that I do not understand Quantum mechanics let alone physics, and I'm in good company. The problem is religious/spiritual types take a bit of information out of context and exploit it for their own belief systems, which aren't anywhere near science. They don't require an understanding of the science because they don't require evidence. Science and religion are still on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. A layman's observation about quantum physics being affected by our observation is a great example, it's out of context and exploited by the spiritually minded to back up their belief systems which have never required anything like solid facts.
So yes, you are getting religious. There is no scientific difference between religious and spiritual observations.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And so the slide begineth. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... early warning on a penalty flag on this topic in regard to discussing religion.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote:

Why do humans always think we are so important and can influence anything at all?
We do not influence those particles. We just realized what happens to them when measured, that's all (probably because of our rudimentary ways of measuring them in the first place).

Mankind? We are nothing more than an insignificant tiny amount of pollution in an otherwise "empty" space. All matter in the universe is just less than 8% of its contents. And we are nothing even within that small percent of matter. We are really inconsecuential on the grand scheme of things. All we can do is observe, try to understand, and marvel about it all...
That is indeed the "trick" of the physical universe. To invalidate the universe of spirit/soul/mankind, whatever you choose to call it....with sheer numbers...
I will not try to dissuade you from your opinion that you and all of us are but a grain of sand....

But I and many others surely do not share such an opinion.

There's a certain quantum physics experiment that scientifically proves the observer influences sub atomic particles. You can look it up on you tube I am sure.

This is not "why" I know I am a spiritual being and not a grain of sand or dirt, but it is the medium within which I try to communicate with you so that perhaps science can persuade you of the influence of observation on quantum physics. I have a feeling that the physical realm would be necessary to convince you of the spiritual realm.
I do not say this to make you wrong. It is just clear that you depend on the phyisical universe for your insights, which I totally understands..most do so.
But you are welcome to continue to think of yourself as inconsequential and without influence. But check out the Quntum physics experiment... :D
And James, this is not a discussion about religion, at least I am trying not to let it become so. :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:

Let's suffice to say that I do not understand Quantum mechanics let alone physics, and I'm in good company. The problem is religious/spiritual types take a bit of information out of context and exploit it for their own belief systems, which aren't anywhere near science. They don't require an understanding of the science because they don't require evidence. Science and religion are still on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. A layman's observation about quantum physics being affected by our observation is a great example, it's out of context and exploited by the spiritually minded to back up their belief systems which have never required anything like solid facts.
So yes, you are getting religious. There is no scientific difference between religious and spiritual observations.
I wonder what you think is moved by a gorgeous piece of music?
If every thing is just physical and matter, then what gets emotionally excited by music?...electrons?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And so the slide begineth. LOL
For sure bro...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13