TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modern" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/post-modern" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope. Don't buy that. I've spent a good part of my life composing modern music for modern dance and modern dancers, including Martha Graham. They still call her a modern dancer so what else can later dancers of the same era call themselves but post-modern?

Minimalism, now that is a movement that will likely retain its name as will pointillism, expressionism, nationalism (Russian and otherwise) ad nauseam. Mozart was a modern composer, making Beethoven a post-modern composer of his time. Louis XVI was very modern when he invented ballet, yet Petipa was a futurist by comparison.

Sorry to burst your post-modern bubble but those memes will disappear once the next generations classify the 20th Century from their perspective. And I submit that at that time, DP will still sound better in a double blind study on those new modern computers they will be inventing 200 years from now.

The terms are temporary and while "valid" in the context of our contemporary colloqual use, they are only temporarily loaned to us while we remain 'contemporary.' They will not 'stick' as definitive representations of what you or I think of in terms of modern, post-modern, or even futuristic. I understand your view and share the use of the term from time to time, but it will most assuredly be replaced in time.

POP!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote: Do you have a link for that?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/scien ... ss&emc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMHO, someone other than CERN needs to duplicate the experiment.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bayswater wrote:You can always get back to modern from post modern via retro. And now that CERN has repeated the faster than light neutrino trip, we can all get answers to questions before we post them. Even those who believe in the here and now.
Off topic but have they?
Yes. They removed the sources of measurement error and still got faster than speed of light. This will do wonders for latency reduction.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

FMiguelez wrote:Do you have a link for that?
Click on "I'm Scared!"
MIDI Life Crisis

Having re-read the MW links I posted, I will concede that the use of the phrase 'post-modern' in relation to modernism has come into common use since 1925. Let's check back in 150 years to see whgat the end result is. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Now can we move on to quantum entangelment? Or have we already??
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Having re-read the MW links I posted, I will concede that the use of the phrase 'post-modern' in relation to modernism has come into common use since 1925. Let's check back in 150 years to see whgat the end result is. ;)
Watch out. I'm on a neutrino-rich diet specifically so that I can still be here in 150 years to take you up on that... :arrow:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Do you have a link for that?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/scien ... ss&emc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMHO, someone other than CERN needs to duplicate the experiment.
Does anyone else have the equipment?

FM, see

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... -light.ars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for the original experiment. The replication was reported widely in the news in the last couple of days. No one believes it, but no one has explained it yet either.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've spent a good part of my life composing modern music for modern dance and modern dancers, including Martha Graham.
Incidentally, that's spectacular. My happiest time composing ever was in a modern dance context. I don't think there is anything quite as rewarding as that.
MIDI Life Crisis

jloeb wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've spent a good part of my life composing modern music for modern dance and modern dancers, including Martha Graham.
Incidentally, that's spectacular. My happiest time composing ever was in a modern dance context. I don't think there is anything quite as rewarding as that.
I'm in complete agreement, but a couple of decades of scoring silent films now, I'm just getting to the point where i can start making contemporary (modern? :shock: ) music work in a traditional film and not put off the bulk of the audience.

Hey, I'll be up in your neck of the woods performing on Monday, BTW, so if you want to pop me in the nose for any reason, here's your chance! :)

http://www.cafilm.org/rfc/films/1632.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or here:

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibition ... f1911.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Thank you for the invite! Accompanying film in real time is some amazingly virtuosic stuff.

Oddly enough, we're migrating to LA/SD on Monday for the holiday. :roll: Otherwise I'd definitely check that out. I don't think I've ever yet seen live playing to film. Have a good run!!
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks man. In fact, playing for silent film is exactly like playing for modern dance. The main difference is the styles of music and non- stop playing for long periods of time. At least as far as improv. Playing an actual score with others and keeping everything in sync (especially when the print doesn't match the screener in terms of both edits and speed) can be ... 'challenging.' But essentially you are dealing with movement, gesture, and storytelling. Sound familiar? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:But essentially you are dealing with movement, gesture, and storytelling. Sound familiar? :)
Yes and no. I never played live with a performance. The choreographer and I discussed and "storyboarded," (and one time a poet recorded spoken word with me), and then I handed off a CD and the dance troupe took it from there. So I was once-removed from the action come showtime. Doing it live sounds like an amazingly rich experience, but certainly beyond my ability as a performer.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's just a matter of processing speed from my experience. I quite frankly think I do my best when I haven't seen the film before performance. At least when playing solo. In fact, even films I've scored I'll improv when playing solo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's just a matter of processing speed from my experience. I quite frankly think I do my best when I haven't seen the film before performance. At least when playing solo. In fact, even films I've scored I'll improv when playing solo.
I always improvise a note or two when I'm playing solo. In my case I think it's LACK of processing speed! :boohoo:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|