TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks for getting DP included in the test, Radiogal. That was exciting!

Completely ignore the nastiness and idiocy that will be directed at you just for posting this.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Who is posting idiocy about this here? I haven't seen that. Are you talking about GS?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Who is posting idiocy about this here? I haven't seen that. Are you talking about GS?
GS. Wouldn't expect it here, but you never know.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Dan Worley wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Who is posting idiocy about this here? I haven't seen that. Are you talking about GS?
GS. Wouldn't expect it here, but you never know.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Yeah, some of those guys over there need to lay off the caffeine. It's really not that serious. :roll:
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I missed this one the first time around due to so many acronyms in the subject title. :-)

All this really does is prove that Swedes have better ears than most. :-)

I haven't the heart to read the GS version of this thread yet.

I'm curious where MBP #4 and MBP #5 placed overall, as I somehow didn't glean this from the discussion.

Surely PT10 has finally caught up to DP in audio quality? :lol: :mrgreen: :shake: :shock: :unicorn:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Well it's kind of funny how vicious 1 or 2 posters get on the thread,1 in particular, I always watch for his posts because he is almost always incredibly entertaining w/ his misinformed anti anything Mac related posts or anything contrary to his ill formed opinions. There are some brilliant posters on GearSlutz from some very knowledgable pro's but unfortunately there are also some trollish morons there as well who are delusional experts about everything /nothing and they feel quite threatened if you challenge their belief system.
It bewilders me how many of these posters will stand on their Internet soapbox w/ a curtain of anonymity and proclaim they have the golden ears to hear the differences w/ mp3 based shootouts( if it suits their premise) but if some one says something contrary to their belief that actually hears something in a room for them selves is flawed ,rigged or not done to their scientific standards!
RG you are a very brave Gal! Lol
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

kgdrum wrote:There are some brilliant posters on GearSlutz from some very knowledgable pro's but unfortunately there are also some trollish morons there as well who are delusional experts about everything /nothing and they feel quite threatened if you challenge their belief system.
Agreed.
But too many of those anonymous posters are just kids hiding from Mom while they type so much idiocy :shake:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wow. I just risked ruining my day by reading the GS post, but of course the most vicious replies have already been removed.

Radiogal, you did an admiral job of diplomacy there, as did a couple of other forumites whose monikers I recognized.

To take the edge off the negativity over there, just remember how many more people READ those posts than reply to them, and that you have had a positive influence as an advocate for DP and MOTU that will sink in with more people than the bashing you had to endure.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

To be expected at GS, but hey, it couldn't just sit here where everyone is stoked about it.
The personal attacks on Radiogal are lame though. :twisted: :evil:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's just noise and unicorn horn envy!

;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

She was brave for posting this there.

May Thor be with her!

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

Sorry, Radiogal. There are a lot of problems with this "test" of yours, and I can't accept the results. I know I'm raining on the parade here.

But it's not scientific, which means it's only anecdotal. There's enough of that already regarding the "sound" of DAWs. I fight against that a lot on Gearslutz, and just because software that I enjoy has been said to "win" doesn't mean I can accept the answer.
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Larry Mal wrote:Sorry, Radiogal. There are a lot of problems with this "test" of yours, and I can't accept the results. I know I'm raining on the parade here.

But it's not scientific, which means it's only anecdotal. There's enough of that already regarding the "sound" of DAWs. I fight against that a lot on Gearslutz, and just because software that I enjoy has been said to "win" doesn't mean I can accept the answer.
The question "which sounds better?" or "which do you prefer?" can never be answered scientifically because the answer has to be based on subjective reactions and opinions from sentient beings who are all calibrated differently.

Could the preparation and presentation have been more scientific? Sure.

Experience has taught and served me more than science, and my experience tells me that if 30+ professional audio people agree on something, it would be wise to pay attention to that.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Cool. The randomness wasn't immediately clear to me. That very convincing and well planned. Great work!
Random presentation is good, but was it double blind? Did the people conducting the test know which was which?
Edit: saw later in the thread that it was double blind. Good stuff.

I don't understand the comment about it being anecdotal. The method is standard double blind testing. About as good as it gets.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I went over to GS and took a look. Ouch! RG, don't take any of that crap seriously. Any reasonable person reading your post understands exactly what you said and why you posted it. The problem here is that reasonable people are rare at GS. Actually, it's kinda nice to see their feathers a little ruffled over this. With all the DP bashing that goes on over there, they deserve a little humble pie.

As far as the test is concerned, I understand what others have said about what might have tainted the results. I won't argue those points. But look at it this way - if all DAWs DO sound the same and this test was all BS, then it means DP is just as good sounding as the rest, right? That means the DP bashers are STILL wrong. And you have to admit it, for DP to come out on the top of the heap (scientific test or not) is pretty sweet! 8)

Thanks for your post, RG. We all love you.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.