SOLVED: Sync DP 7 to AKAI MPK88-- What's going wrong?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhurwitz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

SOLVED: Sync DP 7 to AKAI MPK88-- What's going wrong?

Post by mhurwitz »

Hi

I have never been able to sync my AKAI MPK88 to DP. I've neither been able to use the AKAI's transport controls to start/stop DP, nor use DP as a master to send beat/tempo info to sync up AKAI's arpeggiator. I connect my AKAI via USB.

Regarding transport: pressing start/stop on my AKAI just doesn't do anything in DP. DP doesn't respond.

Regarding using DP as a tempo master: the AKAI won't let me use the arpeggiator and seemingly stops transmitting MIDI notes.

Does anyone have any info as to why I can't get this to work? I followed all the AKAI manual's instructions, as well as the instructions in DP's manual relating to transmit/receive sync.

MOH
Last edited by mhurwitz on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhurwitz

Re: Sync DP 7 to AKAI MPK88-- What's going wrong?

Post by mhurwitz »

OK. I've managed to get DP to respond to my AKAI's transport. But DP needs to be in receive sync mode in order to do this which means that it is locking to the AKAI's tempo, not DP's conductor track.

I want to control DP's transport using my AKAI's transport controls, but I want my AKAI's tempo to come from DP so that I can lock the AKAI's arpeggiator to my sequence.
mhurwitz

Post by mhurwitz »

OK-- got it working.
alainmallet

Re: SOLVED: Sync DP 7 to AKAI MPK88-- What's going wrong?

Post by alainmallet »

Having same issue. How did you work around it?
Thanks
Shampen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shampen »

How exactly did you set it up, there was no explanation on your posts, could you help me out?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mhurwitz wrote:OK-- got it working.
Yes - spill ! We want to know exactly how you did this - I only got it working through Reason as a rewire device but could never get this to work on DP alone. A video on You Tube would make you famous.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Though not exactly Fermat's , many would like to know how you solved the problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
DavidStanton

Post by DavidStanton »

I know I'm replying to a two year old thread here, but I've had the same issue and Akai might have furnished an answer here:

http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1495#transport

For my rig (DP 8.07, AKAI Synthstation49), the key step was clicking the "Master Master" button in "Commands". From there you can manually assign the transport controls.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes, to master the Master Master makes you master!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here