Best Hammond B3 VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
new-knee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by new-knee »

I'm using NI B4 II with jBridge and Mavericks 10.9.3 - it seems to work fine.
midilance

Post by midilance »

David, I didn't see or hear anything about the scanner vibrato/Chorus effect.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although like everything from Neo Instruments, the rack version of the Ventilator has no known release timeframe, but it does plan to include reverb.

The 2nd version of the stomp box is now out, in small quantities. Great reviews so far, but many say that it's not worth upgrading for most people (depending on their needs) if they already have the first one. The Mini Vent is more for guitarists, but only due to its limited parameters. The new Vent looks a bit like a hybrid between the two.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

midilance wrote:David, I didn't see or hear anything about the scanner vibrato/Chorus effect.
If you're referring to HammR+, then the answer is - it isn't available on a switch. You have to
"make" it using the vibrato controls which are on the GUI (I forget which page right now). You can customize it so that the depth and speed is different for each drawbar.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:Although like everything from Neo Instruments, the rack version of the Ventilator has no known release timeframe, but it does plan to include reverb.

The 2nd version of the stomp box is now out, in small quantities. Great reviews so far, but many say that it's not worth upgrading for most people (depending on their needs) if they already have the first one. The Mini Vent is more for guitarists, but only due to its limited parameters. The new Vent looks a bit like a hybrid between the two.
Hmm, maybe this thread should be moved to the Off Topic section since it's kinda gotten away from DP.

That said - Mark, I can't find anything on this new Neo Instruments rack. Where did you see
this?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
dbender

Re: Best Hammond B3 VI -- New Hammond for Kontakt

Post by dbender »

Haven't read all the posts in this thread in a while, so sorry if this has already been posted, but there's a new really cool looking/sounding Hammond for Kontakt called HAMMR that has extensive controls. Check out the video walkthrough, and it has a discounted intro price now

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNec5xAASg

Rock on
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
wonder

Post by wonder »

Being a hammond player with 3 B3's (1939, 1962, 1969) ... the obvious answer is that the B is one of the hardest instruments to pull off using VI. Most of it is the feel of the keyboard and the stops being easily accessible ... (I'm constantly changing my stops).

For quick reference stuff on demos and things I've just been using B4 for NI and the "Vintage Organs" pack from NI as well. I hate having ONE sound all the way through a track or having to write automation but B4 has done the job for now.

For live gigs, I won't use anything else than my real B's. I pull a 12' trailer and load my gear from that.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mhschmieder wrote:Although like everything from Neo Instruments, the rack version of the Ventilator has no known release timeframe, but it does plan to include reverb.

The Mini Vent is more for guitarists, but only due to its limited parameters.
I saw a reference to a rack version as I was researching, but, as noted, nothing firm to date.

There are two versions of the Mini Vent; one is "Mini Vent Organ" the other "Mini Vent Instrument". And thought the adjustable parameters are few, review of on-line materials suggests the Organ version will be ideal for live use, as long as one is seeking to emulate the Leslie 122.

PS: Love the accordion mh! :D
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wonder wrote:For live gigs, I won't use anything else than my real B's. I pull a 12' trailer and load my gear from that.
I hope you have assistance with that schlep. :shock:
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

wonder wrote:Being a hammond player with 3 B3's (1939, 1962, 1969) ... the obvious answer is that the B is one of the hardest instruments to pull off using VI. Most of it is the feel of the keyboard and the stops being easily accessible ... (I'm constantly changing my stops).

For quick reference stuff on demos and things I've just been using B4 for NI and the "Vintage Organs" pack from NI as well. I hate having ONE sound all the way through a track or having to write automation but B4 has done the job for now.

For live gigs, I won't use anything else than my real B's. I pull a 12' trailer and load my gear from that.
Well, yeah...it's having the hardware drawbars that makes the difference. I owned a B-2 for
several years (it had no percussion, so I installed an Edwards percussion unit on it). I miss the
sound and feel but not that awful weight.

I've tried every Hammond clonewheel there is. IMO Hammond's XK3-C is the closest I've heard. Its own Leslie effect is quite good and in a mix no one can really tell except the diehard keyboardist who is playing it. Run it through a real Leslie and I challenge anyone to
spot whether it's a"real" B3.

Currently I use a Korg CX-3 2nd generation for live gigs. I like everything about it except maybe the overdrive which is a bit fuzzy sounding. But that is nitpicking - the audience certainly couldn't care less, and the band thinks it sounds great, and for live it does.

Most of the touring country acts these days, you'll see a Hammond XK3-C onstage. Sometimes a Korg CX-3, or the Nord. Yes, you still see real B3's onstage too. But almost no one travels with those, it's prohibitively expensive to ship them.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

+1 on the Mini Vent for Organ! It has transformed my Motif ES6 organ patches from meek to monster. By routing its output back into the Motif's analog ins, I can add reverb post-leslie. The overdrive has a nice harmonic quality. I am pleased.

EDIT: Used Mini Vent live a the San Diego Fair last evening. FOH mixer specifically asked about the amazing organ tone. So did a keyboardist from the audience. Confirmation of the above.